• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Daedalus - The Awakening of Golden Jazz to be released in English? (Jake Hunter prequel)

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

So I just finished the Switch/PS4 adventure game Daedalus - The Awakening of Golden Jazz, which was released last week. The game is a prequel/spin-off of the Jake Hunter/Saburo Jinguji games and to my great surprise, I see there’s a whole English localization segment in the credits!  This seems to suggest this game will see an English-language release too (after Ghost of the Dusk on the 3DS earlier this year).

The game has not been officially announced for an English release yet, but I guess they’ve already done most of the localization work, considering the people working on it are already featured in credits for the Japanese version.

The game is a prequel to the main series and is set about 10 years earlier, before Jake Hunter/Saburo Jinguji became a private detective, and it also details how he first met his trusty assistant Yulia/Yoko as Jake/Saburo hunts for the murderer of his grandfather in NY.

Japanese trailer:

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, I retired my Psvita with 66 physical games and my 3ds with 54 games. The new Jake Hunter game looks
Amazing too.

There maybe a Switch in my future so this game would be a natural on it.

Loved Jake Hunter on the DS

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

*bump*

Great spot!

It was recently announced for PS4, Switch and Steam: https://gematsu.com/2019/03/alternate-jake-hunter-daedalus-the-awakening-of-golden-jazz-coming-west-on-may-16

Interestingly, it’s marketed as ‘Alternate Jake Hunter’ and looks to be keeping the original Japanese names.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I guess… that’s one way to solve the problem caused by the localization choices of the previous games, but it’s not a pretty solution :P But as this is definitely a story about a Japanese young man trying to solve the murder of his Japanese grandfather who was an immigrant in New York and eventually teams up with another Japanese exchange student, I guess they didn’t really have a choice.

I have a review here (http://ho-lingnojikenbo.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-raven-chaser.html), but in short: it’s a flawed game. I love the visuals, the soundtrack is short, but there are some really good tracks too, but the presentation of the story is… lacking. Sometimes it feels like you’re missing lines or scenes that clarify events a bit more, and for a story that is supposed to be a prequel to the whole series, specifically expanding on the backstory alluded to in PSX/Saturn’s Yume no Owari ni (written by the same person even), it strangely _doesn’t_ line up with those very events alluded too ~_~

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top