• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-11-15

PM

Hi there guys!

It’s Natalia from Artifex Mundi here! I’ve noticed that there’s no thread for Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love - our upcoming satirical point & click adventure game, so I’ve decided to make one (I do hope it won’t be treated as a spam!)

As you’ve mentioned in the My Brother Rabbit thread, Irony Curtain is not a hidden object game - it’s purely classic point & click adventure, and we’re trying our best to produce the game classic point & click fans will love.

ABOUT IRONY CURTAIN:
Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love is a satirical point-and-click adventure about a Western journalist visiting the communist regime of Matryoshka for the first time. It will take you out of your bourgeoisie comfort zone and throws you right in the middle of a Cold War class struggle to the death – or until you surrender your toilet paper.

We’re incoming in 2019!

MORE ABOUT THE GAME:
Irony Curtain Steam Page
Irony Curtain website
Artifex Mundi Facebook

If you have any questions regarding the game, please don’t hesitate to contact me, I am more than happy to tell you more about it! Wink

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not that it’s an unwelcome change, but I’m curious as to the “when and why” Artifex decided to turn the page and focus on adventures.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Whatever the reason, I’m glad for it. I played the demo for Matryoshka when you posted it at Pond Friends more than a year ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Very humorous game. I’ll bet it’s evolved a lot since then. I’ve got it wishlisted at Steam.

I’m finding the direction you’re going in to be interesting especially the mentoring of small devs. One of my favorite casual games this year was Persian Nights: Sands of Wonders from Sodigital. Any game that makes me laugh out loud is a delight. It had more personality than almost anything I’ve played. Looking forward to more from them.

Good luck!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jofog - 15 November 2018 09:01 PM

One of my favorite casual games this year was Persian Nights: Sands of Wonders from Sodigital. Any game that makes me laugh out loud is a delight. It had more personality than almost anything I’ve played. Looking forward to more from them.

Artifex games used to be available on BFG. No longer. I don’t know what happened, but I don’t like it. Their games now appear to be available only on Steam. Which is my, and many others, least enjoyable game acquisition platform.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-11-15

PM

rtrooney - 15 November 2018 11:10 AM

Not that it’s an unwelcome change, but I’m curious as to the “when and why” Artifex decided to turn the page and focus on adventures.

It’s not a change, it’s rather an evolution. We’re shifting for quite a while now, with My Brother Rabbit (closer to adventure game than HOPA) released just recently.

We’re still publishing casual games from other studios, though, so no worries here. Wink

Jofog - 15 November 2018 09:01 PM

Whatever the reason, I’m glad for it. I played the demo for Matryoshka when you posted it at Pond Friends more than a year ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Very humorous game. I’ll bet it’s evolved a lot since then. I’ve got it wishlisted at Steam.

(...)

Good luck!

Thank you Jofog, it’s a pleasure to hear that!

rtrooney - 15 November 2018 09:16 PM

One of my favorite casual games this year was Their games now appear to be available only on Steam. Which is my, and many others, least enjoyable game acquisition platform.

To be precise, we’re on Steam, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and Windows Store, so there are a lot of platforms you can choose from!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Artifex Mundi - 16 November 2018 01:37 AM

To be precise, we’re on Steam, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and Windows Store, so there are a lot of platforms you can choose from!

To be precise, games for PC are only available on Steam.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-11-15

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2018 12:23 PM

To be precise, games for PC are only available on Steam.

And some of them (including our latest My Brother Rabbit) on GOG as well, forgot to mention that! Wink

Joined 2018-11-15

PM

Today we’d like to show you the past and present of our upcoming point and click game Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love.

Below you’ll have the opportunity to witness how much has changed and how far we have come from the original idea that we presented at Polish festivals a while ago.

What you see before you is the prototype of Irony Curtain, which back then was called simply ‘Matryoshka’. It was always our dream to make a game based on our own experiences, but also tackling the topic with humor and rowdy resistance. And since we love classic point and clicks, there wasn’t much of an option but to make one!

The pictures you see is from one of the locations which remained almost the same through the evolution of the game - the ‘Leader’s Heart’ hotel lobby, from the beginning of the game.

What’s your opinion on these? And did you have chance to play the game when it was called ‘Matryoshka’?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Natalia - All of this looks wonderful. But I think you have a credibility issue.

People here on the forum associate Artifex-Mundi with casual games. If you follow the forum regularly, you know that one of the most followed Casual Game Playthroughs was the Enigmatis Trilogy. Which was produced by Artifex.

We are also aware that the hidden object Spark Engine, which is used by many casual game developers, is, in fact, an Artifex product.

So, entering the Adventure market without admitting the backstory, when everyone here on AG knows what it is doesn’t work well. At least not for me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

What on earth are you talking about, rtrooney? What backstory? What credibility issue?

Quite a few of the traditionally casual game studios are working on and releasing games in other genres. Eipix has branched out into VR with Althora for Oculus, several F2P games, text adventures with the Lifeline series, a comic book series and Lightstep Chronicles (https://store.steampowered.com/app/983290/Lightstep_Chronicles/) due out in February 2019 among others. Thorium Studios is set to release a gorgeous point and click adventure, Within Whispers: The Fall (https://store.steampowered.com/app/698360/Within_Whispers_The_Fall/) in March 2019. Thorium has already released Executive Assault (https://store.steampowered.com/app/331500/Executive_Assault/), a FPS with a Very Positive rating, in 2015. Mad Head Studios is developing an online game, Pagan On-line,(https://www.pagan-online.com/)which looks like an RPG. I’m sure there are others that I’m not aware of.

It stands to reason that when you have a group of talented people, that sooner or later they’re going to want to branch out and try some new things. The HOPA market isn’t what it used to be and maybe it’s time that Big Fish Games doesn’t have a stranglehold on creativity. The times they are a’changing. And I say more power to you!

Natalia, please do not think that rtrooney is representative of the membership at Adventure Gamers. If you have read any of the game threads started by various developers, you can see that the people here are kind and very supportive.

And now for some sane and constructive comments on Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love!

You really have changed the game a lot since I played the demo. As long as you haven’t lost the humor, I think it looks great. To be honest, I think I like the way the journalist looked in the original. He was a little more world-weary. I really don’t care what game engine you’re using as long as it runs okay. And I don’t care where you sell it. I buy from GOG, Steam, HumbleBundle and, of course, Big Fish. By the way, my BF library has close to 1000 games in it. So even though I play a lot of casual games, among other genres, I am always open to new suggestions. This is exciting and I look forward to your periodic updates.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

What can I say to someone who has 48 posts to his credit. You obviously know it all.

I cede whatever casual game credibility I have acquired since running the casual game thread since 2012. Or organizing the casual game playthroughs since 2014. Or even doing the Casual Friday post in the AGSotD for close to three years.

Have at it. I truly wish there was a middle finger emogie to express my feelings.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

rtrooney - 01 December 2018 09:07 PM

What can I say to someone who has 48 posts to his credit. You obviously know it all.

I cede whatever casual game credibility I have acquired since running the casual game thread since 2012. Or organizing the casual game playthroughs since 2014. Or even doing the Casual Friday post in the AGSotD for close to three years.

Have at it. I truly wish there was a middle finger emogie to express my feelings.

To be precise, it’s emoji.

Here are several from which you may choose. https://emojipedia.org/reversed-hand-with-middle-finger-extended/

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Let’s tone down the hostility please.  Artifex Mundi is making an adventure game.  Anyone who has played casual games for any length of time has most likely played some of theirs.  As Natalia pointed out, they have decided to try something a bit different, but will still be publishing casual games as well.  You may or may not like Steam, but I’m sure they have their reasons for choosing it, most likely because the game will get more exposure that way.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Jofog - 30 November 2018 11:24 PM

To be honest, I think I like the way the journalist looked in the original. He was a little more world-weary.

That was my first thought as well, the original looks better to my eyes in many ways. Although I have a preference for less cartoony graphics so I am no doubt biased.

But this is probably not what you want to hear Natalia so I’ll take my leave…  Naughty

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

To be fair, I think probably the fresh-faced innocence of the new boy would work better with the story. The reporter walks into a ridiculous situation with all kinds of protocols, procedures and requirements that are completely unexpected and unfamiliar to him. He’s not in Kansas anymore. So his naivety could lead to better comic effect.

I installed the prototype demo on April 10, 2017 and played it immediately thereafter. The story may have changed significantly since that time so I’m not sure if my opinion is at all valid. I can tell you that it worked perfectly with no glitches or lags on Win 10 which speaks to AM’s ability to produce a playable game. I have no problem with cartoony graphics if they are well done and appropriate to the game which, in this case, I thought they were. I enjoyed it a lot but I’d have to replay the demo to give any specific details about the demo which might not be relevant now.

Joined 2018-11-15

PM

Donuts McGee - 02 December 2018 03:59 AM
Jofog - 30 November 2018 11:24 PM

To be honest, I think I like the way the journalist looked in the original. He was a little more world-weary.

That was my first thought as well, the original looks better to my eyes in many ways. Although I have a preference for less cartoony graphics so I am no doubt biased.

But this is probably not what you want to hear Natalia so I’ll take my leave…  Naughty

I have totally no problem with your opinions, guys! Thanks for them!

To be honest… It’s not Evan’s (that’s this journalist name) final form yet. We’re still tweaking him a bit, as well as graphics and animations. It’s still early in the process, and I do hope I will be able to share it with you (at least as much as the team will allow me to share, without the risk of spoiling all the fun).

We’re now preparing quite long post about the evolution of Irony Curtain style and I will definitely post it also here!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top