• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Today I had some time for a session of Post Mortem, and I reached the Alambic bistro. I received the paintings from Hulot, but so far I have absolutely no clue what to do with those…

Doom - 13 October 2018 02:23 PM

What a weird dialogue system. You may get a lot of information from the character, but choose a “wrong” option - and you’ll miss it entirely, without any explanation or possibility to ask him later. I guess it adds some freedom and realism, but with such an eccentric cast it’s often hard to predict their reaction to your innocent questions, not to mention ironic remarks.

This rather bugs me as well. I think I could’ve gotten more information from some conversations, but I don’t really want to do all conversations several times, and sit through exactly the same dialogue (which doesn’t exactly flow either - would it be more natural in French?) without an option to skip. According to the manual, Escape or right-click should let you skip dialogue, but it only works for some cut-scenes.

So far the game does well in background graphics and atmosphere, character animations are average for 2003 I guess, and writing and user interface are not its strongest points… Let’s see how the story develops, I do like a dark mystery to unravel!

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know about the dialogue writing. It’s not bad, but certainly not great. I get the impression that the translation from the original French might have been done by someone who spoke English as a second language. That would explain why I get the occasional “that didn’t make sense” moment. But then I wonder if that was actually the case, why wouldn’t the voice actors, who sound as if English is their primary language, have caught the mistakes, and corrected them during the recording session?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

rtrooney - 17 October 2018 03:37 PM

I don’t know about the dialogue writing. It’s not bad, but certainly not great. I get the impression that the translation from the original French might have been done by someone who spoke English as a second language. That would explain why I get the occasional “that didn’t make sense” moment. But then I wonder if that was actually the case, why wouldn’t the voice actors, who sound as if English is their primary language, have caught the mistakes, and corrected them during the recording session?

I guess it’s difficult to correct sentences when you’re just reading dozens or even hundreds of lines without context during a recording session. It would be really interesting to hear from someone who played the game in French, if the dialogue is more natural in the original language.

There were also some “didn’t make sense” moments in the puzzles. Only being able to push the key out of the door with a magic talisman, really? Why wouldn’t a push with a lockpick work just as well. Or a pencil? Gus is an artist, he must carry one around, or at least have it in his studio. And only receiving that talisman after asking Mrs Loiseaux if she wants to buy a painting, that conversation didn’t make any sense either…

I’ve now solved the painting comparison puzzle. But unless the lockpicks are necessary later, I needn’t have bothered, as I could just get the magic talisman and get into room 507 from the room next door. By the way, that painting puzzle also didn’t make much sense. Why would Hulot ask Gus to compare the paintings if he already knew the differences?

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Well, I’m done through the bistro as far as I know. I’ve completed the painting puzzle (I didn’t have any problem with it for some reason), and got a reaction out of Malet when I showed him my sketch of the suspect. Talked to LeBrun and got a little info about Hellouin before being summarily dismissed. I have not gone to check out Hellouin’s place yet.

I’ve scouted out room 507 after using the paper under the door and Talisman I got from Mrs. Loiseau. I found some glass shards and a wedding ring in there but not much else.

Game-wise, the scenes for the most part are very dark. I tried to increase my monitor’s brightness but it’s already maxed out. Kind of off-putting. Also, the static characters in the bistro and elsewhere make it seem like you’re walking around in a wax museum!

Before I left Mac’s apartment the first time I picked up a camera, among other things. Has anyone figured out how or where to use it yet?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Unfortunately, I think we are all playing the same game, but are all going in different directions.

The first end point was to converse with the clerk at the hotel. Then we were given free reign because we hadn’t really solved any puzzles.

Now I think we need to take a time out, because most of us are in entirely different places.

I think our fearless leader need to say STOP! Whatever you have done, stop doing it. The objective after you talked to the clerk is to enter the murder room. And then when all the players have accomplished that, we move onto the next task.

This free-form approach is not serving us well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, I’m following the original route, got the lockpicks and entered the murder room (the puzzle worked surprisingly well this time around, I even kinda enjoyed solving it), but haven’t accomplished much there or anywhere else. I’m just stuck on the portrait puzzle which is not working for me.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The puzzles in this game can suck really bad. I just use TWO walkthroughs as I need them when I get stuck, However, I still like the game overall, the characters are pretty interesting.

Let’s go ahead with the next checkpoint, I can see that most people have made it to the first one already.

Let’s shoot for The Brotherhood Meeting Room by next Thursday. That way we will have gotten a fair amount of the game accomplished by next week.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well that’s a good objective. But I’m not sure where we are supposed to be now. If the freestyle objective after conversing with the clerk was to enter the murder room, that was unstated. I’m not there. Don’t think Doom is there either. So saying that the initial objective has been solved by everyone is false.

I read about solving the ID sketch with the hotel bartender. I haven’t done that. Maybe I took the wrong dialogue tree. Is that important? I don’t know. I’m just feeling very uncomfortable. I just don’t feel comfortable pursuing a new objective before I know whether I’ve completed a current, unknown, objective.

I’m just about ready to drop out of the playthrough. Which would be hard since I nominated the game. I just don’t feel good about this.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I finally used walkthrough to solve the portrait puzzle (had to look TWICE, nothing makes sense in it!), then quickly reached the Hellouin’s flat and played through his version of the story that contains no puzzles at all. I visited the Meeting Hall of the BSORC location on my way (I guess this is the Brotherhood Meeting Room?), but wasn’t allowed inside. Am I supposed to enter it as MacPherson?

One thing I noticed so far: all young females in this game look almost identical, with similar bodies, faces and hair styles. At the same time, all males have very distinctive looks. How so? The are also several old ladies whose looks and moves are just… weird. And I have yet to meet a nice likeable person - everyone is either a moron or some nutso. Well, maybe the barman was ok, but he seems like a minor character.

And also I can’t get rid of the feeling that the game is only half baked. Those empty lifeless screens, those strangely animated characters, those dialogue options that keep repeating each other and sometimes make no sense, the unfriendly inventory, the stupid repeating tune that is already getting on my nerves… Only the cutscenes are excellent, like the devs made them first and then decided to add the game Smile

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, ok, let’s all stop at the painting puzzle at Albamic Bistro. Let me know when you have reached it.

This game is fairly non-linear, so we all just have pick locations in the game to meet at.

If you get lost, steam and gameboomers both have excellent walkthroughs that will guide you to our checkpoints.

Also, this game has triggers to make a puzzle appear - so don’t dispair if a puzzle does not appear for you.

To make the portrait puzzle appear, do the following: Hotel Orphee:    Nicolas, Cafe waiter at Nantis Cafe:  Talk to Nicolas about suspect. Malet hangs out at the Alambic Bistro (appears in map). Suspect sat by window and dashed off around 11 PM. Malet was given money by the mysterious man. Description of suspect: Tall, heavy, black moustache, square face, dreadful eyes, tough guy.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Hey rtrooney, since I have never participated in a CPT let alone followed one, I have no idea how they are “supposed” to work. I’m sure there have been many other non-linear or multi-pathway games played in this format in the past, so how did some of those overcome the difficulties you describe to having with this one?

As I play this game, and I stopped after solving the paintings puzzle in the bistro (kind of?), it occurs to me that there are any number of ways—from choosing different dialog trees to alternative paths—to the same “objective point”. Is the idea in a game like this, or any other CPT for that matter, for everyone to follow the exact same path to a particular point?

Back on 10/12 this was posted:

Mikekelly - 12 October 2018 07:38 PM

OK, many want their next instructions now. If you want to continue past talking to the clerk, do the following:

Continue playing the game until you get to Alambic Bistro and solve the paintings matching and the suspect drawing puzzles these can be solved after exploring the bistro.

So I did. BUT, the way I got there was probably different than some others did. For example, I took the instructions to mean we could take any path/dialog tree we wished as long as we stopped once we completed the two puzzles related to the bistro. My path had me go upstairs and talk to Mrs. Loiseau, procure an item and use it to enter room 507, which I proceeded to turn upside down for evidence. I then talked to the bartender and went from there to the bistro. I probably could have skipped going upstairs but we weren’t told not to so I did.

Ergo, I took a divergent path to the same objective. Is that necessarily wrong in a CPT?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

rtrooney - 18 October 2018 08:41 PM

I’m just about ready to drop out of the playthrough. Which would be hard since I nominated the game. I just don’t feel good about this.

Heh, finally, Now we are talking!

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I feel I have arrived at some kind of dead-end situation. Even with liberal use of the hints on the game at the Universal Hint System website I am stuck with the portrait puzzle. I hadn’t noticed myself that I could now use the sketchbook to draw a picture of the suspect, got that from the hints. But I have the problem that Malet, and for that matter no other person in the game, wants to talk to me anymore. I didn’t get a description from him, and now I’m not getting any feedback on what I’m drawing. Should I just follow a walkthrough now to get through this puzzle? That feels like not even trying…

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game is VERY non linear.  I will quite happy if we just meet up weekly at a given location and talk about the game.

You can go to different locations are different times and solve puzzles at different times.

Some people love these kind of games because it increases the replay value with its variety.

So, YES consult a GOOD walkthrough as needed. Gameboomers has a really good one.

This is especially true for the portrait puzzle.

The good news is, I am playing the game for the 2nd time and it is just as good as my first play.

The game is not perfect, but I like it anyway. After this if you stick it out I will lead a playthrough of Stilllife as a gift for those who made it through.

Many adventure games are very linear, but their replay ability is pretty much zero.

Heart

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m at the Albamic and 4/5ths (I think) of the way through the picture puzzle.

It’s a doozy as much for usability reasons as puzzle reasons but, like much of the game, I’m enjoying its idiosyncracies.

Do I stop once I’m done with this puzzle?  Should I solve the mugshot puzzle also?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top