• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Overclocked: A History of Violence - will not run on Windows 7

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Hi everyone,

I’ve just installed Overclocked: A History of Violence - the UK DVD release - and upon clicking ‘Start New Game’ from the launcher, an error message appears, stating the following:

Error in function cCougarResource::Read
File reading failed. Resource: start
File: .\source\class_resource.cpp, Line: 588

I’ve tried searching on Google & the AG forum to no avail. I’ve tried to run the .exe file in Vista Compatibility Mode (box states that it should run in Vista), no joy.

My PC’s specs are as follows:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Processor - Intel i7 960 (3.20 GHz)
RAM - 12 Gb
GFX Card - AMD Radeon HD 6670
DirectX 11

I’m wondering whether or not the game will run on a 64 bit system at all…

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers in advance!

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I can just comment the game works fine with Win7 32bit. I played (GamersGate digital version though, which is no longer for sale) it on my old notebook with Intel 965 vga.

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I cannot understand why Windows 7 64-bit should have difficulty running such a recent game (only 5 years old) - especially one that was allegedly compatible with Vista. I’m beginning to wonder if I’m best off forking out for a digital copy - although I’m rather loath to resort to this - as it could simply be a disc error.

(The Moment of Silence DVD edition also didn’t run on my system - these House of Tales games don’t appear to be particularly future proof! Shame that Lighthouse Interactive went tits-up and left us all without tech support…)

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I also played The Moment of Silence successfully on 32bit Win7. And 15 Days until catacombs, where one scene needed feature my notebook’s vga lacked (T&L x maybe). But it wasn’t Windows’ fault.
I suspect HoT games are not 64bit compatible. Try to ask from DTP (and looking into forum might help). Lighthouse is gone, but DTP owns rights now. Contact page:
http://www.dtp-entertainment.com/en/corporate/support/hotline/index.php

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Thanks for the tip - I’ve sent them an email. If they provide a helpful response I’ll post it here…

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

I have Windows 7 64bit and the 2 DVD version of Overclocked runs without problems on my system.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-09-27

PM

@pymyking please tell me did your problem got solved as I am too facing similar problem….........

Joined 2013-07-02

PM

The game comes with 2 dvds,and the second one contains the video i think.
It’s called resource.200, if i remember correctly.
You can copy it into the game directory where the other resource files reside and
it will stop alot of startup errors and also stop the ingame lag during cutscenes.
p.s There are some nocd fixes at gameburnworld and gamecopyworld,which have been known to help some people(one is an “fixed” nocd which might be better than the plain nocd)NO GUARANTEES THOUGH:)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top