• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Welcome to the CPT of Post Mortem, an interesting adventure game. This game is the first of a Trilogy, followed by the award winning Still Life and Still Life 2.

The description is:

“After returning to the quiet streets of Paris to pursue a life of painting, Gus Macpherson could not escape his true art… The former New York detective finds himself walking the beat once again, when hired by a sensuous woman to investigate the gruesome beheadings of her sister and brother-in-law. In the dark and mysterious streets of Paris, and plagued by his clairvoyant sixth sense, Gus will uncover a conspiracy written in blood, with rituals and artifacts as old as time itself.”

So, boot up the game and make sure it runs. Play a little of the beginning - you have until October 14th to get all that done.

This game is very creepy, a perfect game for Halloween.

Moderator, please pin this thread please.

I
Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Per my post on the voting thread:

There is a situation very early in the game where our protagonist, Gus MacPherson, needs to talk to the concierge at the hotel’s main desk. There are two possible directions to go in the dialogue tree. The direction you chose will determine the order in which the puzzles will present themselves. I think we should all play the same game. So I’m going to suggest that MikeKelly tell us which dialog tree he wants us to use.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If I got this correctly:

Talk to the receptionist. Introduce yourself as a P.E.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

“I’m a detective. A private investigator… I’m conducting an investigation. A private investigation…”

Oh boy. Over-the-top cinematic intro, wacky characters, non-interactive screens with people glued to backgrounds, one repeating beat - just like I remembered Smile Still holds surprisingly well with its cinematography and the general 1920s atmosphere, has its French noir charm. I wonder if the portrait and lockpicking puzzles got better with time…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Game installed (the GOG-version) and ready to go.

After reading contemporary reviews, my expectations aren’t very high, but I guess playing it all together will be fun anyway. And perhaps the game can surprise me in a positive way.

When running for the first time, I got a message that DirectPlay was required for the game. Instructions on how to activate DirectPlay on Windows 8/10 can be found here (I didn’t need to restart my PC for it to work though).

The game was hardcoded to run in 4:3 aspect ratio. On my widescreen monitor the picture was stretched horizontally. For some people this may be ok, but I really dislike graphics with incorrect aspect ratio. I fixed it by changing a setting in the NVIDIA control panel (obviously this will only work with NVIDIA graphics cards). On the Adjust Desktop Size and Position page, on the Scaling tab I changed Perform scaling on to GPU instead of Display. Scaling mode is Aspect ratio. The game is now running with black borders on all four sides, but the aspect ratio is correct.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played a bit. Have arrived at the hotel, but have not spoken to the clerk. Will wait until everyone’s ready and we have our first set of instructions.

I’m playing widescreen with black bands above and below. Nothing seems terribly out of whack, so I’ll leave things as is for the time being.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 09 October 2018 12:41 PM

I wonder if the portrait and lockpicking puzzles got better with time…

not bad really it was, but the famous puzzle of them all is there. i guess no detective adventure or a mystery can go by with it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Installed and ready to go. I got this from The Adventure Shop back in the day when AG was still affiliated with them.
Unpacking the files was in French, actually installing gave me a choice.

Game runs without a hitch. No screen deforming either. I get black bars on the side to keep the original format.

Intro looks really good. Love the Paris tracking shot.
Played until I reached the hotel. Awaiting further instructions, looking forward to begin. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 09 October 2018 03:15 PM

not bad really it was, but the famous puzzle of them all is there. i guess no detective adventure or a mystery can go by with it.

You mean portrait drawing? That’s my main concern. It was actually nicely done in Police Quest 3, but here we fought through it with friends like madmen, it was impossible - maybe because of bad localization.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Installed and ready to go.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved Still Life and when I found out that it was related hunted down a copy. I bought the cheapest I could find at the time, a beat up European copy for $24.99 - taped up box and no booklet.

I thought it was Ok, nice visuals however and I did like parts of the story too. Lately I found an American copy in Mint condition for $1 at half-price books. I am playing that copy now.

Your instructions are to boot up the game, play through the intro and talk to the clerk in the manner you have been told to.

Everyone has one has six days from today to do that.

I will post the next set of instructions on Monday.

Until then, let’s discuss the game. Do you like it? Should you play it before Still Life?

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I forgot the glorious opening cinematic. Others call them cut scenes. I call them tracking shots. Regardless, it was a wonderful introduction to the game. These kinds of cinematics is what Microids is famous for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As I posited on the voting thread, I don’t think Post Mortem needs to be played before Still Life. But both need to be played before SL2

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ve installed the version of the game that I bought from DotEMU years ago on Windows 7 and it seems to be working fine. I’ve never played this DotEMU version before. I played the disc version back around 2002 when it was first released and I don’t remember much about it.

The game started me out in a conversation with a woman who apparently is not the clerk.
I haven’t gone beyond that point. I’m not sure if I should look around the room first or go straight to the hotel to talk to the clerk. Does it make a difference?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

go talk to the clerk now

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I have fired up the game and all seems to be working OK, will await further orders!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top