• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiegoskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

No comments? Think it doesn’t look bad but doesnt sound very good.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

I’m going to withhold overall judgment for now, but I’m skeptical given the gameplay trailer. And I *really* don’t know if that voice is going to work… my immediate impression was “that’s not Larry”.

I was more intrigued before seeing the trailer, which is a shame Cry

Point and Click:  An Adventure Game Podcast
Direct Link (Podbean) | iTunes

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I’ve seen its gameplay, it looks much better than the trailer, wilco, pure PnC.. the only thing i ‘m still wondering about is the Tender/Timber in-game App, and how much of the story will it roam around?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The game looks good, but I always imagine Larry being smaller and pudgier. And I don’t like the voice. Nasal and whiny, yes, but this one’s obnoxious.

They nailed it perfectly in Love for Sail! The makers here should try to approach that.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 08 September 2018 09:28 AM

I’ve seen its gameplay, it looks much better than the trailer, wilco, pure PnC.. the only thing i ‘m still wondering about is the Tender/Timber in-game App, and how much of the story will it roam around?

Nice to know, I just think the trailer looks a bit flat, the writing. Also dont like the voice.
But it is a very small sample.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The art seems okay and the animation is better than I expected. The voice seems off and as far music goes, I do think it should be more jazzy. Say what you want about Larry Reloaded, but it had a solid soundtrack.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

I’m disappointed, that doesn’t looks, sounds and behave like the Larry I know…

Al Lowe said that Larry is intended as a satire of that type of man, rather than an endorsement of it. Lowe said he looked for an unconventional adventure game protagonist that could be “butt of all the jokes” in a game that would not be about saving the world or rescuing princesses but would rather deal with adult themes using humor. He recalled: “I tried to make him the opposite of a GQ model: short, overweight, balding, with comb-over hair, and so on. Larry is out of shape, losing his hair, not very successful with women, always thinking about sex - in other words, he’s exactly like most guys. (...) The tough part was making Larry likable, since at first glance, he comes off as smarmy, sexist, and unlikable. I tried to make Larry resemble most guys I know: neither morons nor geniuses, basically honest and good, with a desire for more sex than they actually get. Men relate to Lany because no matter how big a loser you are, you’re not as bad off as Larry

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

cozyhome - 08 September 2018 01:14 PM

Men relate to Lany because no matter how big a loser you are, you’re not as bad off as Larry

That’s… not a good sign that they think people relate to Larry for that reason.

I would hope we’re not all sitting in front of our PCs saying “ha, what a loser Larry is. I’m so much better!”. We relate to Larry because underneath his needs and desires, his terrible attitude, his smallness, his sense of inferiority put on him by society, there’s someone there exactly like us. When we strip away everything the world says he is and judges him for, we find we are no different and we sympathize. And we laugh, because we are laughing at ourselves.

I really doubt that this team can be trusted to replicate Al Lowe’s success based on these comments.

wilco - 08 September 2018 09:04 AM

No comments?

Advie’s gone, that’s why. Larry’s #1 fan Smile

(come back Advie!)  Sealed Lips

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - 08 September 2018 07:35 PM

Men relate to Larry because no matter how big a loser you are, you’re not as bad off as Larry

That’s… not a good sign that they think people relate to Larry for that reason

If you look at where the Al Lowe quotation marks start that contain the above phrase, you will notice that there are no “close quotes”. Which might make a person think that the “Men relate to Larry….” quote is from the mouth of Al Lowe and not cozyhome. If this is what Al Lowe thinks, who am I to argue.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 08 September 2018 09:23 PM

Men relate to Larry because no matter how big a loser you are, you’re not as bad off as Larry

That’s… not a good sign that they think people relate to Larry for that reason

If you look at where the Al Lowe quotation marks start that contain the above phrase, you will notice that there are no “close quotes”. Which might make a person think that the “Men relate to Larry….” quote is from the mouth of Al Lowe and not cozyhome. If this is what Al Lowe thinks, who am I to argue.

Hmm.. you may be right about the quote. I’m not defending the franchise though. Maybe LSL’s legacy is worthless after all if that’s how most people “relate” to Larry.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve always thought that the reason why people can relate to Larry is, that despite he fails, he never looses his optimism. It doesn’t matter how many times he gets played or how many times his plans end up badly for him, he still believes that there is that special someone, even for the night.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

We relate to Larry because underneath his needs and desires, his terrible attitude, his smallness, his sense of inferiority put on him by society, there’s someone there exactly like us. When we strip away everything the world says he is and judges him for, we find we are no different and we sympathize. And we laugh, because we are laughing at ourselves.

^ This.

I always thought Larry was a classic case of the TV Trope “This Loser Is You” - a character that, despite being represented as pathetic, is meant to be easy to relate to because he reminds us of ourselves.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Actually the trailer posted by Wilco looks sufficiently bad that I don’t need to worry about any #metoo retribution. I have no intention to buy it on my perceived judgement on the quality of the final product.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 407

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

What I can’t stand about the trailer is the way that every single screen has been plastered with phallic/vaginal symbols.  The original games in the series used such things in moderation; most locations were relatively mundane and true to life in the original series.  For example, an airport would be a fairly standard airport.  Whereas, with this game, I get the impression that all of the planes would be shaped like penises and whatnot.  They’ve gone completely overboard with this kind of thing in the new game and it irritates me greatly.

I just get the impression that the developers don’t understand the old games at all.  Slim and slender, young looking Larry would certainly attest to that.  It’s a great shame because otherwise there’s a lot to like; the art style is lovely, the animation fluid and if reports are to be believed; the puzzles are catered towards old school adventure game players.  I suspect that the developers may have been better suited to creating a new property.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

St_Eddie - 09 September 2018 11:54 PM

What I can’t stand about the trailer is the way that every single screen has been plastered with phallic/vaginal symbols.  The original games in the series used such things in moderation; most locations were relatively mundane and true to life in the original series.  For example, an airport would be a fairly standard airport.  Whereas, with this game, I get the impression that all of the planes would be shaped like penises and whatnot.  They’ve gone completely overboard with this kind of thing in the new game and it irritates me greatly.

I just get the impression that the developers don’t understand the old games at all.  Slim and slender, young looking Larry would certainly attest to that.  It’s a great shame because otherwise there’s a lot to like; the art style is lovely, the animation fluid and if reports are to be believed; the puzzles are catered towards old school adventure game players.  I suspect that the developers may have been better suited to creating a new property.

I would have to agree. My biggest issue is that this Larry just seems plain unlikeable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top