• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 July 2018 06:16 PM
Lucien21 - 10 July 2018 03:40 PM

Broken Sword III - Sleeping Dragon

I think this game gets a bad rep. Yes there are too many crate puzzles, but I didn’t mind them so much.

The story is a huge step up from the 2nd game. More of a direct sequel to the events of the original. Pared with a great soundtrack and the return of the Nico/George banter make it a joy to play.

I liked the step to 3D. It gave more of an agency of control. It’s not perfect, the controls are a bit stiff and the camera can be annoying, but it was a decent stab at updating the genre.

Loved it.

4/5

I liike broken sword 2 but I agree 3 is also great. the opening reminds me of indiana jones or an uncharted game

I tried 3 but hated the controls. Made considerably worse by the fact that I couldn’t find the path to safety after the plane crash right at the beginning. Even following a walkthrough(!) for it I couldn’t get off the cliff. No matter what, that path to safety was forever blocked to me Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

For BS 3, you definitely should use a controller because it was designed for it. I think a keyboard/mouse are really clunky for that game.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

very true i played it on the original xbox and I thought it was a pretty great game. I like bs1, 2, 3, and 5 a lot. I think chapter 1 of bs5 is close to being on par with bs1 but then chapter 2 of the game lost me some. I felt the writing went downhill, too many winks to the audience, way too much fan service and I did not like the ending.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

SoccerDude - 12 July 2018 01:51 PM

For BS 3, you definitely should use a controller because it was designed for it. I think a keyboard/mouse are really clunky for that game.

I’ve never used a controller in all my days, in fact I’ve only ever owned one that came with a PC that I bought from Gateway around 1990/1991. It was rather tiny and considering I’m 6’ 6” and 16 stone it was worse than useless. It does prompt a question though but that’s better suited to the Hints and Tech Support forum so I’ll post it there Smile

Thanks for the feedback - and also to jdawg445 for supporting the idea Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Awesome adventures of Captain Spirit

Neat little episode promoting Life is Strange 2.

The story is not somehting particulaly new, Mom dies and Dad turns into an ass. However it was a reasonably cute story of a kid and his imagination of being a super hero.

I want to see where they take it next.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Space Quest 5

That was probably my third playthrough, and I still love this game.
It’s every bit as pretty and well-written as King Quest VI, only the gameplay is much better in Space Quest 5 : more varied, more forgiving, and with very few dead-ends.
Best Sierra game, in my opinion.

Painscreek Killings

The “open-world” gameplay is very interesting and immersive, leaving the player the liberty to explore and make out the story at his own pace. On the other hand the actual puzzles aren’t that great, relying on the “find code to open door” formula much too often,  and in this case open-world means a lot of backtracking, which is always painful.
Visually it’s nice, and the atmosphere is impressively creepy.
Very good game, overall, and I can see a great game lying in wait somewhere in the developers’ future.

The Samaritan Paradox

It’s a nice classic point and click adventure game, which doesn’t have many flaws but doesn’t really stand out either.
Graphics are ok but a bit bland.
The story is nice, and grew to me. I really liked the ending.
Puzzles are run-of-the-mill, not very hard but sometimes a bit frustrating because of the lack of directions and because of sudden difficulty spikes (nothing dire though).

The Darkside Detective

I loved it.
The pixel art is nice, stories short but pleasantly convoluted, and the puzzles very simple. It’s also quite short (but not frustratingly so, in my opinion).
But the writing is just top-notch, making me laugh out loud a few times (the best part being the interaction between the hero and his sidekick), and smile very often. It reminded me strongly of the old Lucas Arts game’s writing, which is as strong a compliment as I can give any AG. Smile
This one was a joy to play.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Ninth - 01 August 2018 11:28 AM

The Darkside Detective

I loved it.
The pixel art is nice, stories short but pleasantly convoluted, and the puzzles very simple. It’s also quite short (but not frustratingly so, in my opinion).
But the writing is just top-notch, making me laugh out loud a few times (the best part being the interaction between the hero and his sidekick), and smile very often. It reminded me strongly of the old Lucas Arts game’s writing, which is as strong a compliment as I can give any AG. Smile

I totally agree, the writing is spot on, definitely enjoyed all the references and humor Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sir Beardalot - 01 August 2018 08:34 PM
Ninth - 01 August 2018 11:28 AM

The Darkside Detective

I loved it.

I totally agree, the writing is spot on, definitely enjoyed all the references and humor Smile

Also agree and game has some great support by the developer, they’ve been adding new free cases over the year. Baits Motel released a few days ago. Another good one

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Definitely agree with everyone. The Darkside Detective is the funniest AG I have played in recent memory and the closest in terms of humor to Lucas Arts.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Candle

It’s very pretty, has a nice, engaging story, some clever puzzles (and also some not-so-great ones) but mostly it’s a bit of a chore to play because of the game’s inability to find a good compromise between it’s adventure and action parts.

The controls are overall pretty bad, unintuitive and clumsy, and the character’s responses are exceedingly slow which makes the parts where dexterity is required very frustrating.  The riding part, short though it is, was especially atrocious.

As a result there are many unfair and annoying deaths, notwithstanding the fact that most of the game, as curious as that may seem for an adventure game, is build as a die-and-retry. Die-and-retry isn’t bad per so, but in a game with an unresponsive character, some unskippable cut-scenes, and bad controls, it’s not fun at all.

To add to the overall impression of clumsiness, conversations with NPCs are annoyingly slow, because they are represented onscreen by very cute animations which take forever to unfold.

To sum up, Candle tries to emulate older game like Flashback or Another World, but with a stronger emphasis on puzzles, but where these games felt totally coherent and immersive, Candle feels likes two parts badly glued together, and I don’t really understand which public it targets.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Discworld

Each time I replay this game, I’m struck by how great it almost is.

Unlike what most people say about this game, I don’t find the puzzles illogical at all, in fact they all make perfect sense after the fact, and some of them are quite clever. But to figure them out one would have needed a few clever clues, clearly explained objectives, etc. And in this game there are almost none.
That, and the many (sometimes game breaking) bugs, gave this game a bad name.

Which is really sad, because there’s so much to like about it.
The production values (graphics, sounds, voices) are incredible, the writing is excellent, and it’s oh so adventur-y ; the game is very long, with many locations (some gritty, some exotic), many characters, a multi-layered story…

A must-play for any Pratchett fan, despite its bad rep, but one that requires quite a lot of patience and the occasionnal bit of cheating.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I loved the Discworld games! It’s been years since I’ve played them. It might be time for a replay Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 11 September 2018 04:01 PM

I loved the Discworld games! It’s been years since I’ve played them. It might be time for a replay Smile

Follow along! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Shortly following Discworld 1, I also finished Discworld 2 for the second time.

Although the game is probably much fairer in that it gives you clear objectives and enough clues to make the puzzles accessible, and although it’s as pratchett-y as the original game, it left me kind of cold in both my playthrough.
I’m not exactly sure why, but I think it has something to do with the cartoonish graphics, and also it felt much smaller than the first game. I may be wrong, but I feel like it has less of everything, locations, characters, details, and especially charm…

On a side note I loved Discworld Noir back then, and, even though the graphics haven’t aged well (as is the case with all the older 3D games), still liked it a lot a few years ago on my second playthrough.

I wish someone would make a new discworld game.  Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 11 September 2018 04:21 PM
Sir Beardalot - 11 September 2018 04:01 PM

Follow along! Grin

Heh.  That brings back good memories.  Grin

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top