• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 13 April 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Boo! The wood ixupi, from Shivers, wants to eat your soul.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

One of the first games I played and one of the reasons I fell in love with adventures. Thanks Kurufinwe

For those who aren’t aware…here is one of the best fan sites dedicated to one game out there… Shivers

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I remember playing Shivers as a young child - creepy as all hell. It gave me nightmares!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

On the old CompuServe GAMERS site I kept the log-in for people who entered and survived their trip through the museum. Just as a great gamer Lehua Wells kept the original MYST wall of fame. Those were good days. And this was a great game. Does anyone remember getting through the oil pit maze and then ascending the stairs? Turn left at the top of the stairs and BANG!, the red eyes staring at you. Think I changed my shorts shortly thereafter.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

An interesting thing happened recently. An old friend, Celeste Gore Barczewska, who was at one time the moderator of the above-mentioned GAMERS forum on CompuServe, sent me a message that she had uncovered this post while searching for the also-mentioned MYST Hall of Fame created by, here it comes again, the also-mentioned Lehua Wells.

Side note, Lehua is living on the Southwest coast of the Big Island. And while we have been in irregular contact over the years, I’m sure she has been impacted by the Kilauea eruptions, and I don’t know her current status.

That aside, after seeing this post Celeste bought a copy of Shivers on GOG, and plans you join us for a Shivers playthrough if we can ever break through that haunted second-place barrier that has haunted so many games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

Hi RTRooney, Celeste suggested I visit. Never played Shivers, but a member of Lehuas Myst Wall of Fame.
Long time adventure games player as you might remember and compuserve user 74747.1446.

I guess I’ll try out Shivers, once I finish Return to Zork (saw it, but never played, until now, yeah <shock>) Gasp

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, if you want to join, you need to go to the Time for a New Community Playthrough thread, and say I vote for Shivers. Simple as that. Celeste will show you the way. Smile

I’m a bit surprised you never played it. It was Sierra’s first attempt a a MYST clone. A sequel followed. It was good except for a horrible timed sequence at the end that required a lot of disk swapping if you didn’t finish the puzzle in the allotted time. The other clone attempt was Lighthouse, which is also on the ballot for this playthrough. I’m fairly sure these games were successful, but Ken and Roberta decided to go in a different direction, and the next game was the big-budget extravaganza Phantasmagoria. I’ve never figured out that creative/artistic leap.

Anyway, glad to see you here. Place a vote at your leisure. You still have a little over two weeks. But, if you intend to play side-by side, you might as well get your vote in, then sit back and relax.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW, since I was there at your wedding, you can call me Tim. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

Hi Tim,
I played Pantasmagoria, got really tired of seeing the girl dying at the end. I had to find a walkthough just so I could finish, haven’t picked that one up since.

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There’s a similar “stealth” puzzle in Al Emmo. They can be very frustrating, for sure.

I think the puzzle at the end of Shivers2 was worse though. The puzzle requires you to shift mirrors in order to take a beam of light from its source to an exit point. Simple enough, except for the fact that the puzzle is timed. And if that isn’t enough, the puzzle resides on disk 2 of a two-disk set. So at the end of disk 1 you are prompted to insert disk 2 to solve the puzzle. And if you don’t solve it in the allotted time, you have restore a saved game from disk 1 and do it all over again. Repeat until you succeed.

Bad design. Sierra should have found something to cut to ensure the entire game could fit on a single disk. Except for the puzzle, there was nothing on the second disk other than “bonus material” such as the game’s soundtrack.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Raedwulf - 29 July 2018 03:23 PM

I guess I’ll try out Shivers, once I finish Return to Zork (saw it, but never played, until now, yeah <shock>) Gasp

Message from .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address): The voting doesn’t end until August 16, so you have plenty of time to finish Zork. The vote has tightened, so if you want to give Shivers a whirl, you should get your vote in.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

You got me Tim,
Gog has Shivers for 7.79 Canuckle bucks, I will Return to Return to Zork afterward. Gee, that’s a familiar Adventure Gamer strategy, I have a bunch of games started not finished.

(Myst Ultimate for instance, damn organ puzzle is hard when you have a tin ear, even with a walkthrough). I was able to do this without a walk through years ago.

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We’ve all been there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ralphie - It’s time for you to cast your vote for Shivers. You can’t do it here. You have to go the the “Time for a New Community Playthrough” thread, and cast it there. CGB can show you how to do it. The voting is getting tight. It’s time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top