• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best Adventures of All time by their Genres

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I always wanted to see that sort of lists, we adventurers are not really picky about adventures Genres whether they are comedy , Fantasy or Drama as long as they are good ones.
anyways
i think there are 8 major Genres that almost all adventures majorly go under:

.Comedy
.Fantasy
.Horror
.Science Fiction
.Mystery
.Thriller
.Drama
.Investigation

yeah there Farce , Conspiracy ,Psychological even Adventure but i did notice that those all and some others i haven’t mentioned yet always nothing but sub genres in the end .. like if i asked someone about Day of the Tentacle he/she will hardly mention that its a Science Fiction adventure or Ankh i would not imagine someone saying its a Farce Adventure or Edna and Harvey it would be odd to hear someone describes it as a Psychological Adventure or at least before mentioning it a Comedy one ...and so on .

if you guys wanna start this thread like i do ,with those 8 major Genres without complicating for the terms/genres behind each title i would love to see it happening as it would be fun and much useful for everyone as well.

maybe every one can choose his favorite genre or more and mention 5 titles of its best.

if anyone one disagrees with me or maybe thinks i missed something here, an important Genre maybe or any issue please enlighten me .

Thanks

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I had a really hard time to distinguish, my favourite adventure games into specific genres…I had to put two on each category. Even now, I think that most of them could have been in more than one category.. (for example Callahan’s and Zork could have gone either to Comedy or Sci-Fi).

Comedy: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon/The Curse of Monkey Island
Fantasy: The Longest Journey/The Whispered World
Horror: The Dark Eye/Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Science Fiction: Zork: Grand Inquisitor/Machinarium
Mystery: Discworld Noir/Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within
Thriller: Resonance/Myst IV: Revelation
Drama: Riven/Grim Fandango
Investigation: The Pandora Directive/The Last Express

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Noir LA Noire
Sci-fi Blade Runner
Investigation Testament of Holmes
Drama Last Express,GK
Thriller Heavy Rain
Mystery Myst series
Horror Walking Dead
Fantasy BOUT,Zork
Comedy Grim Fandango,Broken Sword

..and where is your list Advie?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Okay from the very limited number of titles I’ve played:

Comedy: Tales of Monkey Island
Fantasy: Dreamfall
Sci-fi: Dreamfall
Mystery: Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Thriller: Overclocked
Investigation: The Last Express

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Fun post! Let’s see here…

.Comedy - Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
.Fantasy - The Book of Unwritten Tales
.Horror - The Lost Crown
.Science Fiction - Full Throttle
.Mystery - Gabriel Knight (maybe the 3rd if I have to choose)
.Thriller - Heavy Rain
.Drama - Grim Fandango
.Investigation - Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

.Action - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

I added action because I didn’t really think Indy fit into any of the other categories and I had to include it because it’s possibly my favorite adventure of all time Smile

Also, I just wanted to include Grim Fandango and I couldn’t think of anything that would fit into the “Drama” category.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Yeah, some games are hard to be put into one genre. I’ll add one more genre to my list - Absurd. It may be referenced as a sub-genre to comedy, but I think the gap hole between them is huge. And sometimes absurd games have nothing to do with humor.

Comedy: Almost everything from Lucas Arts. Monkey Island, Day Of The Tentacle, Sam n Max, The Book Of Unwritten Tales
Fantasy: The Longest Journey, The Whispered World, Chains Of Satinav
Horror: Sanitarium
Sci-Fi: The Dig, Blade Runner, Gemini Rue, Beneath A Steel Sky, Nightlong
Mistery: Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, Fate Of Atlantis, Blackwell
Thriller: Full Throttle, Resonance, Still Life
Drama: hmm… i’m not sure if I can name a game that goes specifically in this category and not any other. Almost all adventures have some drama or melancholy elements in them.
Investigation: Well… all detective games Smile Sherlock Holmes, Tex Murphy, Discworld Noir. This genre refers more to the type of gameplay imo.
Absurd/Surreal - The Neverhood, Samorost, Botanicula, Bad Mojo (haven’t played it but looks absurdish as hell Smile )

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

This is often hard to quantify: a lot of games fall under multiple genres, and a lot of these genres are actually quite close together (Mystery ~ Thriller ~ Investigation), making this even more difficult…
Take ‘comedy’ for instance: all things LucasArts fall in this category, as well as the Simon-games, Discworld-games, Phoenix Wright-games, etc. It’s probably the broadest genre within adventure gaming.
Since I didn’t want to mention any games in more than one category, I had to make a choice somewhere. That’s why Discworld Noir ended up under ‘horror’ and Indy & Grim Fandango under ‘mystery’... Tongue

Comedy:
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Day of the Tentacle

Fantasy:
- Simon the Sorcerer
- Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe

Horror:
- Phantasmagoria
- Discworld Noir

Science Fiction:
- The Dig
- Full Throttle

Mystery:
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Grim Fandango

Thriller:
- 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
- Time Hollow

Drama:
- To the Moon
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Investigation:
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

And on an unrelated note:

badlemon -

Absurd/Surreal - Bad Mojo (haven’t played it but looks absurdish as hell Smile )

So one of your favourite “absurd/surreal” games is one you haven’t played??? Confused

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

obviously no. just mentioned it cause I’m guessing it fits the category. but soon I’m gonna find that myself.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Comedy
Larry 2,6&7
Feeble Files
Monkey Island 2
Fantasy
King’s Quest 6
Chains of Satinav
Quest for Glory I
Horror
Black Mirror 1&3
Sanitarium
The Lost Crown
Science Fiction
Blade Runner
Perry Rhodan
Moment of Silence
Mystery
Gabriel Knight 1
Blackwell 3
Still Life 1
Thriller
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
NIBIRU
Indiana Jones and Fate of The Atlantis
Drama
Syberia
Myst (isnt it)
Investigation
Police Quest 3: The Kindred
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

actually yea it wasn’t easy to collect them

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I agree that it’s difficult to answer this post, as most games would fit into several of these cathegories, but I’ll give it a shot.

Comedy/fantasy:Curse of Monkey Island.

Horror/drama: The Walking Dead.

Sci-fi: The Dig.

Mystery/Thriller/comedy/sci-fi: Full Throttle

Investigation/comedy: Broken Sword series

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 30 October 2012 06:07 AM

.Action - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

I added action because I didn’t really think Indy fit into any of the other categories and I had to include it because it’s possibly my favorite adventure of all time Smile

It doesn’t really fit into action either, considering that the game can be played in 3 different paths, only one of which include action sequences, and personally, that was my least favourite path to choose:) I agree though, that it’s one of the greatest adventures of all time, but then again, most titles coming from Lucasarts fits that bill. Sad thing is, Lucasarts themselves doesn’t seem to know, as they’re only into pod-racing and whatnot these days.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 01 November 2012 08:24 AM

Sad thing is, Lucasarts themselves doesn’t seem to know, as they’re only into pod-racing and whatnot these days.

That’s because all those talented adventure game-making people left LucasArts over ten years ago, and formed their own companies (like Double Fine, Telltale and Autumn Moon)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 01 November 2012 05:14 PM

Sad thing is, LucaArts themselves doesn’t seem to know, as they’re only into pod-racing and whatnot these days.

That’s because all those talented adventure game-making people left LucasArts over ten years ago, and formed their own companies (like Double Fine, Telltale and Autumn Moon)...

exactly Timothy but those people and LucasArts are the best example of how that Talent is never enough or at least anymore

if you please let me take a wild a drift here away from the thread subject, and shed some tears Embarassed / Cry  over Lucasarts and its crew dis-formation .

where did LucasArts fail ... go wrong? can i under any circumstances point my finger at those people of LucasArts and accuse them for any failure when i am sure they had done everything to save the company from giving up on Adventure Gaming (it was only the changes in the media and the market that was craving for new games that held new updated technologies at the 2nd half of the 90’s were not just booming but exploding for the upcoming millennium) as we were told that at the year 2000 everything wll be watched on hologram projectors Crazy

i always want to blame Lucas(Film/Arts) for giving up on adventure gaming Now especially where a company like ttg is Booming Because it used a couple of Lucas’s IPs!!!

maybe yea, i can understand how was it god DAMN frustrating to lose (not just financially )but to be always behind Sierra when it comes to the (commercial wise) number of Adventure’s copies were sold through the 10-11 years of the Lucas-Sierra on top of the Genre and the gaming industry and above all  the major part that many of the Adventure players grew up when LucasArts Adventures was History.

they had both played a Big part to make a market (not just) for Games but for all the Multimedia Projects from the Floppy Drivers to the DVD’s going through the Graphics Cards, the Colors from B&W to RGB until the VGA and monitor/Display’s evolution (everything that Microsoft gave would not happen without the collaboration between B.Gates and LucasArts and before that it was Ken Williams whom had made KQ1 with Microsoft Sponsoring (almost a million dollars, 700,000 to be exact) helping Microsoft with promoting the floppy Drives and 5.1/4 Diskettes…..... anyways enough with history and...  lets get back to the the subject Nerd

Lucasarts had almost always the better reception,ratings for all their Adventures but though they were always behind Sierra when it comes to ((SELLING)) the number of game copies sold .

at the late 80’s the Adventure Genre/Developers (financially) had the goal/achievement to sell around (maximum) 250.000 copies.
by November 9, 1990. King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder Sold 500,000 copies and it was the biggest number that Sierra achieved for/until the next 4-5 years/Phantasmagoria 1995 that sold 1,000,000 million copies !! .
on the main hand ;the same year 1995 LucasArts had their biggest Number of copies sold for The Dig release with 300,000 copies .

But somewhere between those 4-5 yearsMyst made a a shocking figure of4,000 000 copies to be sold , which was a hell of success even the Millers themselves did not dream of , and of course unseeingly had put a new standard for the Industry and turned the market of the genre upside-down if not destroyed it.

both companies had to move on make better Games with better technologies with more and more with Great and Big Budgets ,
by the time 1997 LucasArts decided to give the greatest Adventure ever and they put all their efforts into making Grim Fanadango and there was the greatest disappointment EVER in the history of Adventure Gaming, Grim Fanadango had sold less than 100,000 Copies only!!
and that was the Drop down for the Genre with Lucas and Sierra out of the Scene

anyways sorry if their are any uncertain/wrong figures and numbers i wrote above but i did my best with researching, but i will be glad if anyone would correct me…right away!.

P.S: all the numbers are about the time of these titles releases, surely MI,or MysT had made more than those numbers 10 times by now or some certain time like:-
EX.1 Myst with the Pad releases had exceeded 12 Millions Copies ..
EX.2 MI1 HAS SOLD OVER A MILLION COPY BY 2004 and with the S.E release MI1&2 SOLD MORE THAN 2 MILLIONS COPIES 2009-2010

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 01 November 2012 05:14 PM

Sad thing is, Lucasarts themselves doesn’t seem to know, as they’re only into pod-racing and whatnot these days.

Indeed, denying those geniuses to continue to utilize their great minds caused Lucasarts to lose all their proper talent, and all we’re left with is lightsabers and hovercars being used to brutally sodomize Dr. Jones, as referred to in “The China Probrem”.

One would think that Sir Schafers groundbreakingly successful Kickstarter opened some minds over at the Lucasarts oval office, but considering that the company is now owned by Disney I guess its up to them to decide whether or not to do the right thing. The right thing being (obviously) giving the world a brand new, yet classic-style, Lucasarts adventure. Now, wouldn’t that be something, eh?

@Advie: are u sure about Lucasarts allways being behind Sierra as far as number of copies being sold? I’m not denying it, I just remember Al Lowe saying something about Sierra Games never actually selling many copies, but mainly selling game manuals.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dag - 01 November 2012 10:24 PM

@Advie: are u sure about Lucasarts allways being behind Sierra as far as number of copies being sold? I’m not denying it, I just remember Al Lowe saying something about Sierra Games never actually selling many copies, but mainly selling game manuals.

Well Dag i am only sure of things and the titles i mentioned.

-sure that Sierra’s Biggest Hit was Phantasmagoria with 1,000,000 copies sold ((though i always thought it was KQ6 but i made some searching before i post and it turned out i was mistaken)) and The Dig was the Biggest Hit for LucasArts with 300,000 copies sold

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yes, I’m sorry, I was a little tired and didn’t read your post properly. I see now that there was enough info there to make my previous post silly and uneccessary. Makes you think though, I got the overall impression that Lucasarts adventures are in general higher regard by fans and critics than Sierras, yet Sierras adventures seems to be better known.

Example: Even my parents knows about the Kings, Space and Police Quest series, even Leisure Suit Larry, but they wouldn’t have a clue about Monkey Island or DOTT.

I apologize for this off-topic excursion, please ignore me from now on, if this is annoying. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top