• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is your theory on why KQ7 was such a disaster after the magnificent KQ6?

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

I’ve always wondered if Jane Jensen’s KQ6 involvement was only in game dialogue, or did she help create some of the locations and characters as well?

Another possibility is that Roberta was so focused on Phantasmagoria that she completely neglected KQ7’s story. In other words, she didn’t think that love story and fantasy theme in gaming was the future anymore, but horror theme was.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The bits Jensen did in KQ6 are pretty easy to spot, I think, as her parts clash with the more naive parts of the story pretty harshly. I recall reading she designed, at least, the druid island as well as the underworld portion, which both are fairly dark in contrast to some other aspect of the story. I’ve always found the dual nature of the game fairly intriguing, with the absurd level of naivety at places, mixing together with some heavier darker stuff on other.

KQ7 on the other had always felt like something that was designed style first. Sierra and Roberta were adamant at doing something more Disneyish with the style and spent more time on that rather than actually writing the game. They also wanted to make it more accessible, which led to more simplified UI and the possibility to skip partitions of the game that was too hard for the player (I don’t think it’s at all that easy people sometimes say it is. As a KQ game, it is, but it still has its fair share of challenging puzzles.). And then there’s the issue of, that by KQ7, the series had already exhausted a good portion of the classic fairytales, so they didn’t have those to lean on.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I think it really depends on why you’d think KQ7 was a disaster. It seems many players just hated that it was different, which is hilarious because being different and innovative has kind of always been what the KQ series was about.

Personally, my biggest problem is with the writing. The game tries really hard to be cute, and fails miserably. Also, the two lead characters are written the way you’d write antagonists: Rosella is a spoiled brat, and Valanice an insufferable snob. That makes it really hard to like them, and the game.

tomimt - 01 June 2018 05:48 AM

And then there’s the issue of, that by KQ7, the series had already exhausted a good portion of the classic fairytales, so they didn’t have those to lean on.

This is a very interesting point. The game’s world building feels very lacking, and that’s especially true in places that don’t rely on pre-existing stuff (the desert, the woods, the troll kingdom). At the end of the day, the island of the Sacred Mountain in KQ6 is just a few rooms, four people, and a maze, but it feels like a real, lived-in place because it leans heavily on Greek mythology and players are able to fill in the blanks. On the other hand, what’s the deal with that desert in KQ7? It feels like a bunch of random locations and elements that exist only because they’re needed for some puzzle. Same with the woods, the trolls, etc. Ooga-Booga (“Halloween world”) and Etheria (“Greek mythology world”—again!) feel more resonant and therefore more interesting—but because they’re in the second half of the game, players have probably already decided that KQ7’s world is shallow by that point.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it is not a disaster, it is a good game only a bit tedious moving around at it while its puzzles require differently. 

I agree with Kuru

Kurufinwe - 01 June 2018 06:33 AM

Rosella is a spoiled brat, and Valanice an insufferable snob. That makes it really hard to like them, and the game.

esp. we played Rosella before and that was someone else in KQ7.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top