• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

https://medium.com/@Falko/so-the-new-leisure-suit-larry-that-i-am-writing-was-announced-e0fce26e2464

Nice Q and A with someone working on the game and it touches on a lot of the gossip we’re discussing here. Check out the dev team, Crazybunch:

I think we’re in for a very modern take on the character.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

PlanetX - 25 May 2018 02:40 AM
Luhr28 - 25 May 2018 01:40 AM
PlanetX - 25 May 2018 12:49 AM
Kurufinwe - 24 May 2018 11:44 AM
cozyhome - 24 May 2018 08:17 AM

We have FPS games that blow up people’s head, GTA games that allow you to kill anyone and steal any cars you like. Witcher games with very realistic 3D steamy hot sex scene.

And a pretty mild game like Larry is a problem???

It’s not about nudity, it’s about consent. In The Witcher, Yennefer bangs Geralt because she’s attracted to him (and might be in love with him—it’s complicated). In LSL7, Captain Thygh finds Larry repulsive but bangs him because he offers her a job she really wants. If you don’t see that the former is fine while the latter is gross, I can’t help you.

There are so many comedies where characters engage in ethically dubious behavior. Especially with a Larry-esque archetype. Part of the joke is laughing AT them and their scummy shenanigans. It’s not a moral endorsement of the behavior.

Larry is a balding, corny, life-long virgin desperately trying to get laid. Part of his gag is that he’s laughably pathetic. The kind of guy who wears an out of fashion leisure suit.

Portraying something in art, for comedy or otherwise, isn’t the same as morally endorsing it.

This was addressed earlier. There’s a difference between witnessing morally dubious behavior (movies, books) and participating in it (games). You could also argue that expecting people to laugh at someone trying to drug a women to have sex with them is also in appropriate no matter what the medium.

lol you’re not “participating in it” just because you control the character. It’s still fiction. It’s still art. You’re no more “participating” than you would be “participating” in ripping someone’s spine out in Mortal Kombat.

If you personally find the humor distasteful then that’s a separate issue from whether or not the portrayal is morally wrong. That’s the crux of the argument.

So what is the difference between games and movies? Because there IS a difference. You can’t just say “it’s all art”. The biggest difference is the agency of the player.

The earlier Larry instalments clearly did not cause players to raise questions about their thoughts of trying to obtain women as sex objects in a video game as a form of entertainment. Whether the recent events in the US and higher awareness caused by them will change that is yet to be determined.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Ok, i should stop checking out this thread or i would get not just irritated but mad. Unfriendly and sarcastic humor about someone or something isn’t just comedy. It is almost like women, narrator and enviroment hate Larry. Author actually has some issues with him. Humor like this is satirizing men like him or some features of men like him. Player agency doesn’t take satire away. And i don’t think by calling this series satire i let games like GTA get away with nasty stuff. If GTA would be same kind of satire that Larry is then first person whose ride player character would try to rob would take gun away from her an beat her up. And first woman she aproaches (if whole raping thing was part some original game in gta series) would overpower player character and do something nasty to her.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Really nice to see that Larry is alive and kicking Smile Sierra had two great series in their hands, first one was Gabriel Knight and second one was Larry. Graphics look pretty good and hopefully humor has the same tone with the original games Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Luhr28 - 26 May 2018 10:25 PM

So what is the difference between games and movies? Because there IS a difference. You can’t just say “it’s all art”. The biggest difference is the agency of the player.

There are plenty of differences. You won’t find a point where I’ve argued that games and movies are the same. No two mediums of artistic expression are entirely alike. What I said was the distinction you tried to make and the moral argument saddled with it aren’t legitimate. You didn’t just point to interactivity. You said games being interactive means a player pressing buttons and manipulating pixels is akin to “participating” in the actions depicted on the screen. Ergo I’m “participating” in a savage evisceration during a Mortal Kombat fatality. That’s not true.

You’ve yet to convincingly explain why video games have a distinct moral responsibility over any other art-form to avoid or curtail certain subject matter simply because they’re interactive.

You’re just asserting that interactivity alone makes the crucial difference. Where’s the evidence for that? Moreover, why is the point I made in my very first post being largely ignored? Larry is predominately the butt of the joke in these games. He’s intentionally depicted as a laughable sleaze. Surely that context matters, right? Or does interactivity wipe away all context?

The earlier Larry instalments clearly did not cause players to raise questions about their thoughts of trying to obtain women as sex objects in a video game as a form of entertainment. Whether the recent events in the US and higher awareness caused by them will change that is yet to be determined.

So what if they didn’t? It’s not the responsibility of the Leisure Suit Larry series to make gaming audiences redress their views on female representation in the medium. That’s even forgiving the assumption that there’s anything wrong with a game about a guy trying to seduce women in the first place. There isn’t.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

PlanetX - 27 May 2018 05:34 AM

So what if they didn’t? It’s not the responsibility of the Leisure Suit Larry series to make gaming audiences redress their views on female representation in the medium. That’s even forgiving the assumption that there’s anything wrong with a game about a guy trying to seduce women in the first place. There isn’t.

Here you are assuming LSL is a game about “a guy trying to seduce women”. It isn’t. The women might as well be inflatable dolls with the personality and intelligence of a walrus. They are clearly there to be “winnable” sex objects, when that is exactly what feminists have been fighting for the last few decades since LSL7 came out.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I mean… it very literally is about that. All you’ve done is restate the premise with a negative slant on the quality of writing and some inflammatory jargon. That’s a fine way to establish that you find the games personally distasteful (which I granted from the outset you’re absolutely entitled to your taste) but it doesn’t defend your point that games have a unique moral responsibility over other art-forms because they’re interactive.

You could literally call any character with a romance option in games a “winnable sex object.” The entirety of dating sim & romance games are nothing but that. Are those games okay? Or do the characters have to meet some arbitrary and wholly subjective standard of depth and intelligence? What’s wrong with a game that just doesn’t want to be that deep? You may not like it, but what’s wrong with it? What’s morally wrong with schlock?

when that is exactly what feminists have been fighting for the last few decades since LSL7 came out.

Lets say feminism is a monolith. Let’s pretend there aren’t varied and competing schools of thought and massive areas of disagreement around subjects like this within feminist ideology—Which I personally know to be true. I’m friends with feminist who argue over stuff like this all the time—But let’s just say “feminists” full stop don’t like games like Leisure Suit Larry. Why do I have to agree with them?

You’re not saying anything here. You’re just invoking the name of an ideology & activist movement. I’m not a feminist, I don’t base my opinions around whether or not they fall in line with feminist thought.

Unless you think that feminists are always right about everything (which would literally be impossible because many of them disagree with each other) then why bother saying this?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

garbo - 27 May 2018 01:56 AM

Ok, i should stop checking out this thread or i would get not just irritated but mad.

THIS!

can you stop it guys, i started playing adventure by/with LSL1 1987, this is 31 years of my life, reading Now here people trying to figure what is LSL about is just crazy, its like hearing why and what had started the WWII debate exactly after 70 years (almost) of its beginning, with the difference of importance and in years its still the same for me.

No one here knows Larry more than i do, because I AM LARRY and i not gonna discuss my games and don’t wanna hear people discussing in too unless they showing appreciation for my IP being rebooted again.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I`m just happy to have a new Larry game Laughing

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ahenobarbus - 27 May 2018 07:37 AM

I`m just happy to have a new Larry game Laughing

This. Pre-ordered it. Doesn’t look like a trainwreck like Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust at least

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Advie - 27 May 2018 07:12 AM

can you stop it guys…No one here knows Larry more than i do, because I AM LARRY and i not gonna discuss my games and don’t wanna hear people discussing in too unless they showing appreciation for my IP being rebooted again.

Get off your high horse, Advie. Just because you love the series doesn’t mean you have the right to be critical of those that question the game’s relevance in the 21st century. And, by the way, in your 6880+ posts you have managed to derail more than a few threads on your own. Some to the extent that you were asked to take a “time out” or two if I’m not mistaken.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Am i on a high horse, really ?  i dont know. but if that is how you see me and seems it is much of my time here then i hate to be that person, the last thing of my self i want to be in front is my pride. i was trying to add to Garbo’s point (which i completely agree with) some humor, tho i look at it know and it seems it went more on the dark side than the light’.

Other than that you seem to want point out that all my contribution to the site is more of idiocy, tolling, and derailing threads, and i don’t think that is true. Tim try to get over our once bad confrontation because i see nothing else would make you want me to look like an idiot with my 6880+ posts.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

PlanetX - 27 May 2018 05:34 AM

There are plenty of differences. You won’t find a point where I’ve argued that games and movies are the same. No two mediums of artistic expression are entirely alike. What I said was the distinction you tried to make and the moral argument saddled with it aren’t legitimate. You didn’t just point to interactivity. You said games being interactive means a player pressing buttons and manipulating pixels is akin to “participating” in the actions depicted on the screen. Ergo I’m “participating” in a savage evisceration during a Mortal Kombat fatality. That’s not true.

You’ve yet to convincingly explain why video games have a distinct moral responsibility over any other art-form to avoid or curtail certain subject matter simply because they’re interactive.

You’re just asserting that interactivity alone makes the crucial difference. Where’s the evidence for that? Moreover, why is the point I made in my very first post being largely ignored? Larry is predominately the butt of the joke in these games. He’s intentionally depicted as a laughable sleaze. Surely that context matters, right? Or does interactivity wipe away all context?

I just came in here to say thank you for having not only a brain but your own brain and using it in defense of these blatantly obvious logical fallacies.

I guess I’ve participated and been complacent in killing a lot of people in my video games

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I watched seconds of its gameplay without sound, and it looks very loyal to the LSL point n click formula, like the last remark on part one, not much different it does not exceed the quality of LSL7, but pros it is a 100% an adventure considering the talk about it being different from the previous LSLs.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top