• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 May 2018 11:44 AM
cozyhome - 24 May 2018 08:17 AM

We have FPS games that blow up people’s head, GTA games that allow you to kill anyone and steal any cars you like. Witcher games with very realistic 3D steamy hot sex scene.

And a pretty mild game like Larry is a problem???

It’s not about nudity, it’s about consent. In The Witcher, Yennefer bangs Geralt because she’s attracted to him (and might be in love with him—it’s complicated). In LSL7, Captain Thygh finds Larry repulsive but bangs him because he offers her a job she really wants. If you don’t see that the former is fine while the latter is gross, I can’t help you.

There are so many comedies where characters engage in ethically dubious behavior. Especially with a Larry-esque archetype. Part of the joke is laughing AT them and their scummy shenanigans. It’s not a moral endorsement of the behavior.

Larry is a balding, corny, life-long virgin desperately trying to get laid. Part of his gag is that he’s laughably pathetic. The kind of guy who wears an out of fashion leisure suit.

Portraying something in art, for comedy or otherwise, isn’t the same as morally endorsing it.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

PlanetX - 25 May 2018 12:49 AM

We have FPS games that blow up people’s head, GTA games that allow you to kill anyone and steal any cars you like. Witcher games with very realistic 3D steamy hot sex scene.

It’s not about nudity, it’s about consent. In The Witcher, Yennefer bangs Geralt because she’s attracted to him (and might be in love with him—it’s complicated). In LSL7, Captain Thygh finds Larry repulsive but bangs him because he offers her a job she really wants. If you don’t see that the former is fine while the latter is gross, I can’t help you.

There are so many comedies where characters engage in ethically dubious behavior. Especially with a Larry-esque archetype. Part of the joke is laughing AT them and their scummy shenanigans. It’s not a moral endorsement of the behavior.

Larry is a balding, corny, life-long virgin desperately trying to get laid. Part of his gag is that he’s laughably pathetic. The kind of guy who wears an out of fashion leisure suit.

Portraying something in art, for comedy or otherwise, isn’t the same as morally endorsing it.

This was addressed earlier. There’s a difference between witnessing morally dubious behavior (movies, books) and participating in it (games). You could also argue that expecting people to laugh at someone trying to drug a women to have sex with them is also in appropriate no matter what the medium.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’ll withhold any judgements on this game until it’s more than just a concept.  But I don’t agree with the notion that playing a morally dubious character in a game and watching one on screen are fundamentally different.

Personally I have zero problems separating myself from a protagonist and their actions, whether it be in a game, book, movie, or TV show.  Though I have noticed there are many people that seem to be automatically on the protagonist’s side no matter what.  And that’s not limited to just games.  (One example being Breaking Bad.  Personally I think Walter White is a despicable human being and am stunned that many fans give him a free pass on just about everything he does.  But really there’s many other examples as well.)

So personally I think if you’re able to distance yourself from the main character or not has more to do with the audience member in question, and not the medium in which the story is being told.  And for people that have a hard time doing that I could see them having more of a problem with dubious content in games or whatever else, because they feel the material is trying to force them to agree with the immoral character to some extent.  But if you’re able to have that separation it’s not that much of a problem.

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Detective Mosely - 25 May 2018 02:06 AM

(One example being Breaking Bad.  Personally I think Walter White is a despicable human being and am stunned that many fans give him a free pass on just about everything he does. 

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Luhr28 - 25 May 2018 01:40 AM
PlanetX - 25 May 2018 12:49 AM

This was addressed earlier. There’s a difference between witnessing morally dubious behavior (movies, books) and participating in it (games). You could also argue that expecting people to laugh at someone trying to drug a women to have sex with them is also in appropriate no matter what the medium.

lol you’re not “participating in it” just because you control the character. It’s still fiction. It’s still art. You’re no more “participating” than you would be “participating” in ripping someone’s spine out in Mortal Kombat.

If you personally find the humor distasteful then that’s a separate issue from whether or not the portrayal is morally wrong. That’s the crux of the argument.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

cozyhome - 24 May 2018 10:57 PM

The game’s target audience is obviously male why are female comments need to be heard? The developer needs to do whatever it needs to appeal to it’s audience and in this case it’s the male players.

Dude, no. Larry is not a sex game for men - it is not a dating sim. This is just a comedy the same way Married… with Children or Austin Powers or Family Guy are comedies.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I haven’t played LSL7 for a while, but played 1, 5 and 6 pretty recently.
I don’t recall any non-consensual sex. In fact it’s mostly Larry being tortured, cheated or abandoned by the women, with the exception of the last girl which he manages to seduce (and, well, you can’t account for taste so why not being seduced by an ugly sleezy loser).

In fact, even with all its sex and apparent lewdness, I found the games surprisingly puritan, as every bad action is followed by harsh punishment.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

walas74 - 24 May 2018 07:37 PM
Advie - 24 May 2018 07:15 PM
walas74 - 24 May 2018 06:16 PM

I friend of mine who I think is a hidden philosopher once said many years ago: “In USA they are more scared of a cock than of a gun”. (sorry for being so explicit).

I think it’s a brilliant summary of their hypocrisy (and I don’t mean to offend anyone).

that is really harsh Walas, i think US people are the most people in the world who believe in the freedom of human choices and taking full responsibly of them; here is shit and there is goodness, but don’t blame at the end for your* choice. there are No Shieks or Fathers who point people in one direction like here where i live, and if you have gotten of the line then you are the freak.

By hypocrisy I mean that if a TV program or movie shows sex, or male genitals, or use swear words, they get a calification not suitable for children or teens, but you can kill anyone you want and there is no problem with that. Lot of control about selling alcohol or drugs and no control for guns.

Cheers Mate!, thanks for calcification .

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

All the worries and questions behind/about the New LSL, answered and explained.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It is a good thing they are actively answering questions about the project. It is still early to tell what kind of a game Wet Dreams will be, but at least the devs are aware what is going on in the world.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 24 May 2018 08:50 PM

Side thought: I think most of the people participating on this thread are male. What’s missing is the female perspective. Where are the comments from Lady K, chrissie, Dara100, Colpet, et al?

I think those comments need to be heard.

I’ve been following the thread with interest Tim but why would I, as a female, be interested in a game about a middle-aged balding man chasing any woman he can to ‘get his end away’ ......I play games to get away from real life! Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

No, but seriously, the games look like a lot of fun & I do have a boxed set of the first 3? which I’ve never got around to playing ....yet!  The artwork & the humour reflected comes across as appealing but I can’t really comment on whether the nature of the content is potentially offensive for some of the reasons mentioned in the thread without experiencing it for myself in context of the story but as it’s a comedy I doubt it as I do like terrible humour! I’ve been intending for some time to start with Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded & if I like it try & play the others I have – I guess I’ll have to play them using Scumm.

cozyhome - 24 May 2018 10:57 PM

The game’s target audience is obviously male why are female comments need to be heard? The developer needs to do whatever it needs to appeal to it’s audience and in this case it’s the male players.

Whether Wet Dreams is an appropriate game at this point in time does not depends on the perspective of the female players but male players.

I’d be surprised if the Leisure Suit Larry games didn’t appeal to more male players but they are adventure games which no doubt has been played by female gamers also who have just as much right to give their perspective.

I do think there’s a big difference though between developing a game specifically for a target audience rather than the one the developer has an idea for & wants to make which will appeal more to one gender or another.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t necessarily mean that a female perspective was needed to know if they were going to purchase the game. My guess is no. Rather I was curious whether they thought the game should even be produced.

Not including Reloaded, the last LSL game, Love for Sail, was released in 1996. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge in twenty-two years. And a lot of attitudes have changed during that time as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

rtrooney - 25 May 2018 06:23 PM

Not including Reloaded, the last LSL game, Love for Sail, was released in 1996. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge in twenty-two years. And a lot of attitudes have changed during that time as well.

Here is what people today think of Larry 7 - these are all reviews made recently:

https://www.gog.com/game/leisure_suit_larry_love_for_sail

https://store.steampowered.com/app/765890/Leisure_Suit_Larry_7__Love_for_Sail/

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I can’t see how you can call these reviews recent. The GOG reviews are mostly five years old or older. The most recent Steam reviews complain about not being able to get the game to run.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I can’t speak for all females, just myself. I grew up playing Larry, and always just thought of it as a bit of smutty fun. But I don’t tend to go into the deeper meaning of things. I am not sure how the new one will go in todays society, but I will play it and see what I think. I see it all as a caricature of that time really.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top