• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Detroit: Become Human - new game by Quantic Dream

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Character intros, super hyped about Markus, which i was interested least before these trailers, writing and VAs are way improved too

Markus

Kara

Connor

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Behind the scenes interview,

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Lance Henriksen is in this - that’s pretty cool.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The demo is out now, can’t wait to play it,

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Hyped for this game. Played the demo and loved the investigating and exploring all the various different outcomes to that particular scene. Very gripping and if the game can manage to keep up that level of intensity then I’ll likely enjoy it very much.

Gonna be playing it this weekend with a friend and I can’t wait.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Picked up a copy this morning and will play it after work. I’m a little disappointed with Sony about the missing bells and whistles. The box art is uuuugly with a close up of a character’s eye; a step down from the cool profile of Ellen Page that adorned the cover of Beyond: Two Souls. Why not a steel case or a special edition? This is the first Quantic Dream game in 5 years - make it an event. It looks like there was more fanfare for Until Dawn.

The blurb is so David Cage and outlines the big hook to the story being that “androids are suddenly feeling… emotions!” I also like how it mentions shaping and defining the fate of the playable characters as a product feature. Most games boast about about their multiplayer or massive worlds - Detroit’s USP is virtual self-actualisation.

I’m hyped though - Beyond Two Souls was such a step up for this genre and way more coherent than Heavy Rain (fight me). This looks like there’s a solid thread-line to weave a cohesive story arc with.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Played through a fair amount of this game yesterday. Just completed the scene where Kara &  Alice escape from that crazy dude’s house and accept the help of his bodyguard android.

One thing I’ve noticed is there’s a massive difference scene to scene as far as multiple outcomes. Some are fairly restricted and there are others where you look at the flow-chart afterward and it’s really impressive how much variety there appears to be. Of course I’m only on one play-through so who knows exactly how different all those outcomes really are but it’s made a good impression on me.

My favorite sequences as of yet have been Connor’s investigation & interrogation scenes. They’ve managed to produce some genuinely interesting dialogue puzzles. In particular when you’re interrogating the deviant android from the attic. Having to manage his stress was a genuinely tense moment. I very nearly missed the mark by provoking him too much but saved myself right at the end.

Of course some generic modern adventure game gripes still persist. I could stand for a little more engagement on the gameplay front. But I’m happy that at the very least investigating the environments truly does matter (unlocking more dialogue options and potential outcomes. And there are a few puzzle-ish unique gameplay mechanics that are neat despite lacking challenge.

Plot wise I’m invested but It’s been fairly straight-forward so far. Kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop & I’m anticipating some big moments in the comming hours.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Graphics wise, the game is amazing. Best graphics I have ever seen in a game. plot wise, I have read and seen this story before, nothing new there. The other shoe dropped for me, and I saw it coming. The puzzles are pretty basic also. I do like the characters however, this maybe my favorite adventure game of the year.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Detroit looks @#*%ing STUNNING in this game (although it could use a bit more colour like the real Detroit, hint hint). Are we seriously going to get a buddy cop story with an android and the guy from Starship Troopers? What an amazing ‘80s idea - I hope to see the Robocop statue in this game. The android’s weird American accent works really well with the character too.

You also play a female android so you know she’s going to be fighting rapists. Of course, David Cage can’t move on from his Matrix fetish so I think we’re also going to see cool EDM android uprising that all the Gen Xers love.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Pretty much every David Cage game (except maybe Beyond: Two Souls where you only play as Ellen Paige’s character) has you playing as both a character on the run and the detective(s) trying to catch them.  And usually he does a pretty good job getting you to sympathize with both parties while you are playing as them.  But this is the first time where I eventually lost all sympathy for the characters on the run to the extent that when the scenes where I was playing as them would come up I started intentionally trying to screw them up and get caught.  Clearly this is not what the creators intended as it is taking me out of the immersion.  But I just can’t help it.  Something about the story really rubs me the wrong way.  Although I guess I should have seen that coming.  As fascinated as I am by science fiction involving AI, I find stories in which AI acquire emotions or fall in love to be totally ridiculous. 

I’m having the biggest problem with the story of Kara and Alice.  In my playthrough I wound up shooting Todd to death.  But then… Kara goes on the run…  WITH ALICE?!?!!  I mean, I understand Kara going on the run because she’s going to be dismantled for killing her owner.  But why does she bring Alice with her?  Her abusive dad’s dead.  Once the police find her she should be fine and no longer in any danger.  But instead, by bringing Alice with her, Kara continues to put her life unnecessarily at risk throughout the entire game.  It doesn’t make any sense.  If her prime directive is “Protect Alice”... she must be the stupidest android ever manufactured.  And what’s worse is Kara and Alice meet other humans later in the story who help Kara, the fugitive android, flee the country.  But none of them ever offer to take in Alice, the innocent human girl, and make sure she’s handed to the authorities who can help her finally start living a normal life.  This is a serious and realism-breaking plot hole!

Beyond story complaints the game is very fun to play as usual.  David Cage has amazingly good film direction in his cutscenes.  I often wonder why he doesn’t just make a movie instead of a game.

Clancy Brown’s performance is amazingly good.  Maybe the best of his career.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I really didn’t find that too weird Especially if you take late game revelations into account. But it really is as simple as Kara cares about Alice. She wants to save her but she also wants to be with her and live as a family. She broke free from her programming at that point she doesn’t have a “prime directive” she just has impulses and desires. Most of the humans you meet along the way are either deceiving you or sympathetic to androids. If you believe androids are just as alive as humans are then what right would you have to bring the authorities in to separate Kara and Alice? Especially knowing it could potentially lead to Kara’s deactivation.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Those late game revelations don’t make any sense either.  Why would a lunatic like Todd want an android daughter?  If the humans who met Alice knew she was an android, why did they offer her food?  Anyway, now that I’ve beaten the game it’s time to go back and “correct” certain decisions in earlier chapters and see what changes.

Another thing that seems common to David Cage games is sudden and unexplained shifts in character motivation.  I remember this happening with Ellen Paige’s character in Beyond: Two Souls as well.  Here the best example is that there is no explanation given for how Markus goes from mild mannered elderly caretaker to android messiah terrorist revolutionary literally overnight.  I completely busted up laughing when he climbs out of the dump and immediately finds a badass torn leather trenchcoat just hanging there on a pole for him.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

russ869 - 30 May 2018 10:48 AM

Those late game revelations don’t make any sense either.  Why would a lunatic like Todd want an android daughter?  If the humans who met Alice knew she was an android, why did they offer her food?  Anyway, now that I’ve beaten the game it’s time to go back and “correct” certain decisions in earlier chapters and see what changes.

Another thing that seems common to David Cage games is sudden and unexplained shifts in character motivation.  I remember this happening with Ellen Paige’s character in Beyond: Two Souls as well.  Here the best example is that there is no explanation given for how Markus goes from mild mannered elderly caretaker to android messiah terrorist revolutionary literally overnight.  I completely busted up laughing when he climbs out of the dump and immediately finds a badass torn leather trenchcoat just hanging there on a pole for him.

I laughed at that trench coat scene as well lol. That was way too convenient.

But I have to disagree as far as the substance of the points. Todd wanting an android daughter makes sense. He’s a damaged man who’s wife left him when he lost his work. Presumably taking his real daughter in the divorce/split (the little girl you see in the photo realistic portrait of the full family).  I don’t know why you would assume the other humans knew Alice was an android. Kara herself manages to fool plenty of humans. It stands to reason that not every person will be familiar with every single model of android. Especially a little kid model which would likely be unpopular.

I’d contend that Markus’ progression makes sense as well. He’s gone through several traumatic experiences at the start of the game (depending on what you encounter). He’s beaten by protesters in the town square. He’s humiliated and beaten by his master’s son.  Directly after gaining newfound consciousness through variable happenstance he’s unfairly accused of wrong doing by the police, shot and junked. Forced to crawl through a field of mangled android corpses to repair himself.

I’d say that these are EXACTLY the kind of traumatic experiences that would make you want to rebel against a society that had been so cruel to you. As soon as you possibly could, honestly.

Also the revolutionary transition is quick but not literally overnight. He starts just wanting to take some risks to repair the deviants of Jericho. It’s off the heels of that first successful heist that things begin to snowball.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The plot has more holes than a Swiss cheese sandwich. But, it’s likeplaying Blade Runner 2049 - which also had a few holes in its plot as well.

I am looking forward to finishing it, the graphics and characters have me hooked so far.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top