• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 24 May 2018 09:02 AM

Once again professional gaming journalists are trying to be more Catholic than the Pope. Sad to see Eurogamer in such a poor state these days. That’s why Larry is still so popular - he will always be one of the symbols of a true adventure spirit, a character who never takes a second thought, who doesn’t follow some moral code and finds a new adventure behind every corner.

perfect!.

it is to know with an important IP like LSL being rebooted, that members here are still alive full of intelligent remarks (in general)

——————-

Yeah, Baby!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

cozyhome - 24 May 2018 08:17 AM

We have FPS games that blow up people’s head, GTA games that allow you to kill anyone and steal any cars you like. Witcher games with very realistic 3D steamy hot sex scene.

And a pretty mild game like Larry is a problem???

It’s not about nudity, it’s about consent. In The Witcher, Yennefer bangs Geralt because she’s attracted to him (and might be in love with him—it’s complicated). In LSL7, Captain Thygh finds Larry repulsive but bangs him because he offers her a job she really wants. If you don’t see that the former is fine while the latter is gross, I can’t help you.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sex in games is a bit more difficult thing than killing and it is tied more on a couple of matters: players own morals, preferences and fetishes. Unlike with movies, a player is actively taking part in instigating a sexual interaction instead of acting as a voyeur of sorts. Now. being a voyeur is easier, as people can even by accident happen to see something in real life they didn’t intend to see, so takin that same stance with movies is an easier step.

With the game a player has to make a conscious decision: this is something I have to do to get ahead in the game. It transforms them out from the role of passive voyeurism to an actual act of taking part of the sexual act (albeit simulated). Takin that step is easier if the said act lines up with the preferences of the player as well as the possible fetishes they might have. But if not, it might, and probably will end up as off-putting.

I would argue there are deeper psychological aspects in the act of sex in a game than there’s an act of killing in a game. The way games display killing makes it just a task you do, a gameplay element, but the sex goes deeper, as even if it’s meant to be a comedy, there is the possibility of arousal and the shame of noticing that you might like something you didn’t think was possible to be like in that sense. The killing in FPS games is just honed up skill and in such not something that is hitting very deeply, at least psychologically.

Tie that to the era, where everyone seems to be keeping their eyes out for any possibility of sexual misconduct, then it’s not really a difficult thing to see why making a new game like Larry is a risky proposition.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

thejobloshow - 24 May 2018 07:02 AM

If you start chasing respect from people who are paid to be critical you’re in for a lifetime of disappointment. I’m sceptical of their influence and this idea that “now is not the right time”. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare came out when America was at its most war fatigued - bringing with it a series of dumb jingoistic Michael Bay action when the collapsing Bush administration was nightly news.

My comments were from the perspective of a person who lives in US market. I think there is some confusion that the US and European markets are similar. They are not. In the American market you can produce a movie with sustained violence, and, as long as “fuck” is not uttered in the dialog, you might still get by with a PG-13 rating. Add sex and female nudity…the rating goes to R. Throw in some full-frontal male nudity the rating is likely to be “Not Rated” which is the kiss of death because most theaters will not show an un-rated movie. Do I think this acceptance of graphic violence while being borderline prudish about graphic sex out of whack? Absolutely!

That’s what made Larry such a guilty pleasure back in the 80s and 90s. And that’s part of what is the problem today. There was an article in the paper a few days ago where a woman is quoted as saying “I went along with it (having sex with ‘insert celebrity name’) because I really didn’t think I had a choice.” We’re at a stage in the #MeToo movement where even consensual sex has a nuanced definition. Not a good time, IMO, to be investing in a Larry game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Am i only one for whom LSL series is not just sex comedy but satire? And to whom lot of those icky elements are satire about unromantic men with limited views about women?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

What the .., are we discussing what LSL is about?, now, here!... come on, cherish this upcoming new part guys, or just wait until it is released and enjoy it. ugh

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I friend of mine who I think is a hidden philosopher once said many years ago: “In USA they are more scared of a cock than of a gun”. (sorry for being so explicit).

I think it’s a brilliant summary of their hypocrisy (and I don’t mean to offend anyone).

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

walas74 - 24 May 2018 06:16 PM

I friend of mine who I think is a hidden philosopher once said many years ago: “In USA they are more scared of a cock than of a gun”. (sorry for being so explicit).

I think it’s a brilliant summary of their hypocrisy (and I don’t mean to offend anyone).

that is really harsh Walas, i think US people are the most people in the world who believe in the freedom of human choices and taking full responsibly of them; here is shit and there is goodness, but don’t blame at the end for your* choice. there are No Shieks or Fathers who point people in one direction like here where i live, and if you have gotten of the line then you are the freak.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Advie - 24 May 2018 07:15 PM

that is really harsh Walas, i think US people are the most people in the world who believe in the freedom of human choices and taking full responsibly of them; here is shit and there is goodness, but don’t blame at the end for your* choice. there are No Shieks or Fathers who point people in one direction like here where i live, and if you have gotten of the line then you are the freak.

By hypocrisy I mean that if a TV program or movie shows sex, or male genitals, or use swear words, they get a calification not suitable for children or teens, but you can kill anyone you want and there is no problem with that. Lot of control about selling alcohol or drugs and no control for guns.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

rtrooney - 24 May 2018 03:34 PM

My comments were from the perspective of a person who lives in US market. I think there is some confusion that the US and European markets are similar. They are not. In the American market you can produce a movie with sustained violence, and, as long as “fuck” is not uttered in the dialog, you might still get by with a PG-13 rating. Add sex and female nudity…the rating goes to R.

You don’t think video game violence is a little taboo in the United States? There have been several senate hearings on video game violence with the current president using the subject as a means of deflecting attention away from gun reforms.

There was going to be a shooter about the US invasion of Iraq called Six Days in Fallujah, which was canned by Konami due to public outcry. This was after Call of Duty had blown up in popularity. The connection between video games and real world violence (sexual or otherwise) seems really arbitrary. If the game is fun, people aren’t going to care about its real world implications because a) they shouldn’t have to live their life being an activist every single minute and b) they can divorce a comical cartoon world from the mess we live in.

The other post on this thread that said “but imagine if Larry was Harvey Weinstein” is so silly to me. Imagine if Larry was Freddy Kruger! Imagine if Duckman was Idi Amin! No.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 24 May 2018 07:37 PM
Advie - 24 May 2018 07:15 PM

By hypocrisy I mean that if a TV program or movie shows sex, or male genitals, or use swear words, they get a calification not suitable for children or teens, but you can kill anyone you want and there is no problem with that. Lot of control about selling alcohol or drugs and no control for guns.

Thumbs Up What he said.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

thejobloshow - 24 May 2018 07:55 PM

You don’t think video game violence is a little taboo in the United States? There have been several senate hearings on video game violence with the current president using the subject as a means of deflecting attention away from gun reforms.

I didn’t say that. I simply said that, in general, using movies as an example, that the powers that be seem much more accepting of violence than they are of sex. A position I totally disagree with.

As to the video game violence, I think the NRA, and congressmen who take money from the NRA are trying to find any excuse, other than the availability of guns, for the ongoing violence on the streets of America’s cities. But that is a whole different topic. Unrelated to whether Wet Dreams is an appropriate game at this point in time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Side thought: I think most of the people participating on this thread are male. What’s missing is the female perspective. Where are the comments from Lady K, chrissie, Dara100, Colpet, et al?

I think those comments need to be heard.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 24 May 2018 08:50 PM

Side thought: I think most of the people participating on this thread are male. What’s missing is the female perspective. Where are the comments from Lady K, chrissie, Dara100, Colpet, et al?

That’s right.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

rtrooney - 24 May 2018 08:50 PM

The game’s target audience is obviously male why are female comments need to be heard? The developer needs to do whatever it needs to appeal to it’s audience and in this case it’s the male players.

Whether Wet Dreams is an appropriate game at this point in time does not depends on the perspective of the female players but male players.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top