• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GEM-ini Rue!

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I had read some very good reviews about this game.The Greek magazine PC Master had described it as a “little gem” and I loved the idea of creating a game now that would look like a game during the early 1990s…that is the golden age of adventure games.

So I bought Gemini Rue and I played a bit and I am sooooo happy.This game is so moody and has an incredible atmosphere,I love the graphics and the art and the story looks very good so far with great potential!!Yes I bought it on retail and I loved it!

It really is a small gem,a sci-fi/cyberpunk noire story masterpiece!

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve heard this game is very good. I believe it has been nominated for several awards - including adventure game of the year.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Brilliant game. Love the mood and the story. And for anyone on the fence, its a part of the Halloween Adventure Bundle sale until the end of the month - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17800

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I know some people hate the retro pixel trend, but that game gave me a thrill that I haven’t felt in a looong time. And it’s not the nostalgia, neither the pixel art. Gameplay was mediocre and easy, the game is kind of short. But when you see all the things put together, it just fits perfectly. The moody soundtrack, the excellent storytelling, the attention to little details. Even the action sequences were fun for me and suited the story well. I think it’s up to a personal taste, as well. I’m a huge fan of dark noir themes and science fiction. So this mash up just hit me in the heart Smile

p.s. plus I admire small teams of one or two people who are capable of carrying everything on their shoulders. It gives hope to all those people who are trying to do a little something on their own.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Gemini Rue was definitely one of my favorite adventure games of the past several years, and well deserving of its spot in the top AGs of all time feature.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A great game with a good atmosphere (loved Azrael’s voice-over) and a good twist.

“Retro” graphics may not be for everyone, and neither are the shooting sequences, but this was a VERY decent game, especially considering it was mainly a one-man effort… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Yeah, just finished it.

Liked it quite a bit, didn’t love it. Found Resonance are far more satisfying experience.

Part of that is I saw the twist a mile out (I didn’t for Resonance) and part of it is the combat sequences, which I found incredibly irritating and in stark contrast to the AG review which claimed them to be a piece of cake, I actually had quite a bit of trouble with them (even on easy). Of course, I continually made the error of pressing the mouse button to shoot, which didn’t help things. Wink

But my own ineptitude notwithstanding, they really were a chore that did frustrate me quite a bit. A Fate of Atlantis style combat-less mode would have been ideal actually. Smile

Anyway, nice story, well told, fantastic atmosphere, and overall I’m glad I actually bought a hard copy of it from the store rather than my usual digital GOG copy. Rather like the poster, and still to try the soundtrack and his other two games which were nice bonuses. Smile 

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I always found Gemini Rue overpraised. I didnt found the story that great too, though I did like Azriel’s character. Obviously the blood-DNA test is a long lost technology in Gemini Rue’s future…
IMO, Resonance is far superior.

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I loved Gemini Rue—both the atmosphere and the story. To me the twist became apparent about 2/3rd of the way in. But even knowing the twist beforehand, I thought it was a really well done twist.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

The twist is kind of given away in a lousy way. It’s too apparent that the woman you meet in the alley during act 3 shares the same voice as a particular female character in the second act. It definitely didn’t help that they were shown so soon after one another.
After you make the connection, the rest falls in its place.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I agree, though I enjoyed Gemini Rue, Resonance is in my opinion the very best of Wadjet Eye’s titles. For an Indie developer though, their games ooze of quality and are far superior to many professional, commercial titles. I’m especially impressed by their well done voice acting, a feature that is normally abscent from indie AG’s.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Origami - 04 February 2013 11:17 AM

The twist is kind of given away in a lousy way. It’s too apparent that the woman you meet in the alley during act 3 shares the same voice as a particular female character in the second act. It definitely didn’t help that they were shown so soon after one another.
After you make the connection, the rest falls in its place.

Well, I also figured that out but that didn’t reveal the major twist for me. I still thought delta-six was azriel’s brother and delta-six story has already happened while you are playing with azriel. The reappearing of the woman makes you suspicious but I can’t say it gives away the twist

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

It’s too bad but I guess it’s understandable that Resonance and Gemini Rue always get compared against each other.  After all, they are both retro styled adventures with dark sci-fi stories released by Wadjet Eye.  For what it’s worth, I thought the groundbreaking thing about Resonance was the puzzle design and the novel gameplay mechanics.  As for Gemini Rue, I thought it was kind of a perfect overall package.  Nothing too outstanding about the gameplay, but I thought the story and the way it was delivered was outstanding.  It has stayed with me over time more than Resonance.  So, I think I prefer Gemini Rue and definitely support its inclusion in the top 100.  For me, though, I am just glad we get to have such outstanding games to argue over.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I found the story of Resonance more compelling, and found it’s conclusion far more to my taste than the resolution of Gemini Rue. But each their own. 

But I also like that Resonance is more faithful to the traditional adventure model than Gemini Rue’s in regards to their respective unique gameplay elements.  I briefly played Mr. Neurenberger’s older game, an adventure game mixed with a FPS, and it’s clear he’s fond of bringing action to adventure games.

Which is fine, his perogative. But I don’t share his viewpoint. ;P

His intent to make adventure games “more exciting” gave me enormous frustration that I did not feel with Resonance.

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Origami - 04 February 2013 11:17 AM

I still thought delta-six was azriel’s brother and delta-six story has already happened while you are playing with azriel. The reappearing of the woman makes you suspicious but I can’t say it gives away the twist

That is exactly what I thought as well.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I also don’t see why people need to compare these games so bad. I loved both Gemini Rue and Resonance and both of them made it to my personal top 10. Each of them reached me in their own way with their own qualities and flaws. As much as these games resemble each other in terms of visual style and theme, they have completely different gameplay, story and atmosphere. I don’t see a competition here in any way.

P.S. FPS? Come on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top