• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Getting hyped for disappointment

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hype is a double-edged sword, and can result in a possible double the disappointment than any other gamers. Its nuthing new, whether the expectations were built upon knowing the developers or it was a sequel or just excitements had been produced because of the coverage the game has gotten.

Sometimes it is strangely the space and time between the hype and the late release can this cause a state of unwillingness or reluctant to even try it anymore, and that kind of disappointment is wired, since between getting hyped and disappointment, nothing had really happened but inside of me/you.

Example? who needs it, these disappointments are more common now than anytime before, maybe due to the expansion of games that tag itself to the genre and you are you even not sure where it comes from anymore.

But however at least i must tell about 3-5 of my of late kinds* of aversion towards some titles just for the record, last was the different quality of gameplaying style Amanita Design gave with CHUCHEL, it is not a bad game and i believe, but its meant 100% for consoles and mobiles, so if you r a PC freak like me you might not enjoy it and strangely you could be (a bit) disappointed with Amanita Design, maybe for the first time?.

A game like SpaceVenture or Asylum had fallen of my radar, and i am sure i will play them but that could maybe a year a after their release or whatever, but surely i would not jump of joy when i hear they are now available at stores.

State of mind, with the last trailer which finally showed what it really is, kinda the same as the previous kind of aversion, but yet, i am just a little bit curious to see how it is end up.

but worst recent disappointment i had was Black Mirror, even with the short time between its release and its announcement. i was too keen to see who were behind the best black mirror (the 2nd part) going to give, but to find its the worst of the series may be a shame too, i add Yesterday: Origin to the list too, that seems i cant really stop it, remembering my disappointments more than i thought,  when I started the thread.

however, this subject is very subjective!, from how much hype you had to how much disappointment, so i defiantly keen on to know if there are people who had similar experiences, and if anyone maybe is trying/ has decided to avoid the hype anymore due big disappointment?. or maybe it is out of the question, and it is how people process their expectations ..

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I learned decades ago that hype is a waste of time.  I no longer read previews and never get excited about an upcoming release.  I wait until a game has had time to have plenty of reviews, with the most important reviews being the ones that were given a few weeks or longer after a game comes out, when the initial excitement and bandwagon effects are less.

The games you mentioned got mostly poor reviews, so if you had waited, your expectations would have been much better.

There are so many games out there that unless you only play one genre, you will never be able to play them all.  Therefore, stop looking into the future.  Wait for games to come out, get patched up, get thoroughly reviewed, and THEN look into them.  Problem solved.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I think the joy and excitement of anticipating a new game is worth the occasional disappointment. For me there have not been that many. I didn’t really care for Grim Fandango even though I could appreciate the artistic excellence and I felt a bit disappointed in Obduction also. Mostly the games have been satisfactory at the least.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

The thing is, you can get super excited about a game AFTER it gets released, has time to settle and patch, and has plenty of reviews.  You wait, you read the reviews, you immediately get excited, and then you can play right away.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

darthmaul - 29 April 2018 11:53 PM

Therefore, stop looking into the future.  Wait for games to come out, get patched up, get thoroughly reviewed, and THEN look into them.  Problem solved.

darthmaul - 30 April 2018 02:29 PM

The thing is, you can get super excited about a game AFTER it gets released, has time to settle and patch, and has plenty of reviews.  You wait, you read the reviews, you immediately get excited, and then you can play right away.

you talk like the hype and excitements are attached to a button at your pocket you can turn off whenever you like.

there a catch to each every one of us to go hyped over anything and especially art; a book, or a movie, a song/band or an adventure game.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 30 April 2018 03:35 PM

Therefore, stop looking into the future.  Wait for games to come out, get patched up, get thoroughly reviewed, and THEN look into them.  Problem solved.

you talk like the hype and excitements are attached to a button at your pocket you can turn off whenever you like.

They kind of are though. It’s called the “off” button on your computer/phone. Wink

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 30 April 2018 04:00 PM

They kind of are though. It’s called the “off” button on your computer/phone. Wink

yeah hahaah, i know that feeling too Laughing

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I think I’m with darth on this, though it’s obviously specific to the individual.

I generally avoid everything I can about upcoming releases and those I do know about I try to push to the back of my mind.  And I’m certainly never buying something till it has had time for good reviews (particularly official and user reviews on this site) and any necessary patches.

Having said that, certain games, particularly a few of those talked about on this forum I can’t help get excited about whenever they’re bumped (Gibbous, Lamplight City and Saint Kotar spring to mind).

There’s a certain joy in delayed gratification which we decreasingly experience these days that I know I am mostly missing out on.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

there a catch to each every one of us to go hyped over anything and especially art; a book, or a movie, a song/band or an adventure game.

If I see any reference to a game that isn’t out yet, I immediately skip to the next item on the site.  I have no interest in it whatsoever.  Games are vaporware until they are released fully in my mind.  If it comes out one day and gets a review, then I will look.  Otherwise, I couldn’t care less.  No excitement comes to me at all.

I have literally 50 games on my desktop, with even more that I haven’t bothered to install yet, waiting for me to clear more out.  There is no need for me to get excited for a “what if!” Back in the SNES days, perhaps.  But we are in the glory days of pcs, with cheap games with constant sales/bundles, indie innovation, and the ability to have a game seconds after you buy it rather than going to a physical store.

Honestly, I am psyched when I look at the icons on my desktop, because there are so many interesting, well reviewed games that I have yet to play!  Not to mention games with whole new ways to play(VR).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top