• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Suggestions for a Dizzy Girl.. Help? 

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

Hi,

I’m so in love with old school adventure games (puzzles, point-and-click adventures particularly).

Initially my problem was finding games until I found this website and Steam and now I can find a lot of options. The only problem is that I get a little motion sickness from first person perspective. I noticed a lot of adventure puzzlers are first person. I don’t mind first person but when the controls or motions are real time as opposed to clicking to move it can make me feel sick especially now cuz I’m on medication and the pills I’m taking are already making me sick and dizzy Frown

My favorite games are the following: The Nancy Drew series, The Eyes of Ara, Timbleweed Park, and games like Myst, Shivers, Zork, 7th Guest…etc.

I tried downloading Haven Moon and INFRA. I liked both a lot but I couldn’t play because of the controls.

I tried filtering through the adventure games but obviously it’s a little hard to tell which is which cuz it’s not usually written what type of controls the game has.

Can you please suggest a good game that is point and click in motions? I can handle moving left and right in real time but moving the character has to be point and click.

I’m alone 24/7 and games are all I have to keep me company. After feeling like I landed on a treasure room thinking I have enough games to last me up a lifetime I felt so depressed now that I can’t even play most of them Frown

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Welcome Hopeful Broccoli!  Smile Apart from Thimbleweed Park I can see that your preference seems to be towards 1st person perspective games whereas mine leans more towards 3rd person (although I play all sorts!) so I’m not the best person to advise although I do suffer from motion sickness & understand. I can also see that you’re veering towards newer games so hopefully some of the good members here will be able to give some good suggestions.    Smile

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Hi, HB. Actually, if you want to filter games here, selecting “Point-and-click” (under Control) and “First-Person” (under Perspective) should eliminate most of the 3D games that make you sick. The only downside (potentially), is that you’re likely to get a whole lot of casual games in the mix. But that should give you a list of all the slideshow-style games like Nancy Drew.

And hey, you should at least try a few casuals. You may find you like those too.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Hopeful Broccoli, I have the same trouble with motion sickness. I now avoid any games with that free movement. For that reason I mostly play 3rd person games. I have no problems with Nancy Drew though. I had no idea I could search through the games like that, thanks Jackal.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Since you liked Shivers and The 7th Guest, here are some similar games:
Amber:Journeys Beyond
Barrow Hill
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches
Last Half of Darkness: Tomb of Zojir

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

Oh wow you’re all so incredibly kind, thank you so much.

Chrissie and Skeeter, I’m glad to know I’m not alone Cry

Chrissie, I also prefer 3rd person especially in console games- like survival horror or open world adventure; however, I’ve played many games in first person and I was fine (I was okay with Prey, Dyinglight, Bioshock and surprisingly Obduction). When it comes to adventure puzzlers I feel it doesn’t matter because my focus is on item manipulation and the games are much slower in pace but I think it’s the ‘free roaming’ of modern games that make me dizzy or sick.

I don’t mind older games if you have really good ones in mind Smile I’m playing Adam Douglas’ Titanic right now (although I find it very weird hehe and not immersive) but I love oldies.

Skeeter, what games do you enjoy in 3rd person?

Jackal, thank you so much for the tip! Smile Will definitely try. I studied information science so I’m so in love with taxonomies and categorization hehe I think I’ll have fun playing with the filtering today.

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

Luhr28 - 14 April 2018 09:17 PM

Since you liked Shivers and The 7th Guest, here are some similar games:
Amber:Journeys Beyond
Barrow Hill
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches
Last Half of Darkness: Tomb of Zojir

Ooh! Thank you! Looking them up now!

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Also maybe Fran Bow.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Now I have to think… uh, the Deponia games, Lost Horizon, Night of The Rabbit, Monkey Island games, Back To The Future, Kathy Rain, Book of Unwritten Tales games and the Discworld games are just a few right off the top of my head. I haven’t played as much as I used to. I can’t guarantee how some of these have aged - i.e. I recently replayed Runaway 1 and 2 which I quite enjoyed when they first came out - this time they were a bit of a struggle. Number 3 was my favourite, so I hope that replays well.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

It helps to filter the Steam tag to point-and-click: LINK

It’s annoying trying to find point-and-clicks and using tags like “adventure”. These days that can mean anything, from Uncharted to Skyrim.

For first-person games, I highly recommend increasing the field-of-view (FOV) to no less than 85, maybe even 95. A low field-of-view (70) can exacerbate motion sickness, because it can unnaturally exaggerate parallax movement and screw with depth perception. Most modern games have an FOV slider in their options.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Hopeful Broccoli - 14 April 2018 03:12 PM

Can you please suggest a good game that is point and click in motions? I can handle moving left and right in real time but moving the character has to be point and click.

Most adventure games and point and click, and from your post I gather that you haven’t played many on them. It’s that’s indeed the case I think your best bet would be to look for the Top 100 Adventure Games feature article on the main site, and work your way down the list, checking each time in the database whether the controls are indeed point and click.

Not that I agree with everything on the list, but all the classics are there.  Smile

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

If you like Myst and Shivers, maybe you will also like Obsidian. It is hard to run on new computers though.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think it is more likely that it’s the 3D movement that is causing your motion sickness and not the 1st person perspective. If there is a way to filter for 3D, that might be your best bet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top