• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is replaying old AGs, feels enjoyable than playing new ones?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Replaying an old AG can be very ‘comfortable’ & possibly more enjoyable at a particular point in time depending on a player’s current life circumstances rather than playing a new game.
There’s so many games I haven’t played that I would prefer to play those rather than replay an older one but just recently over the last couple of months I’ve replayed a number of games (as well as a couple of newer ones too) just to keep in the realms of ‘familiar’ & therefore ‘comfortable’ worlds I’ve encountered before rather than be in the real world due to finding it difficult to confront the devastating & relatively sudden death not so long ago of someone very close to me.

The biggest eye-opener to me was on replaying 15 Days which I mentioned on another thread I really loved at the time - I still very much enjoyed it & thought the graphics (the like of which I’m sure we won’t see too much of again) were very lovely but I never realised how little there was to do.
Otherwise I’ve replayed a couple of Nancy Drew games which felt as cosy as baking cookies! I know ND games don’t go down too well with members here but I did actually find one I hadn’t played on BF Games & they have a number of others if anyone else is interested.  Smile

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I love new games but I like to replay too. I agree with chrissie that it feels comfortable, and sometimes I have forgotten enough to make it almost new again. I think I like to replay when there isn’t much new to interest me, or I am not feeling up to the challenge of something tricky.

chrissie, I love the Nancy Drew games Smile I replay them after a couple of years, and usually the second play through is just as good. Once I’ve played them a few times they do get easy, but with a long enough gap they’re still entertaining.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2018-04-10

PM

We’re lucky with the AG genre, in that people are still making “classic style” AGs today. We have the benefit nowadays of having AGs in 1st person 3D but also the pixel-style 2D with the on-screen inventory, with new indie ones being released all the time.

We also have the benefit of AG designers learning more from other genres. AGs typically are linear because storylines generally are, which meant the main bugbear - getting stuck on one puzzle meant you couldn’t progress the game at all - was deemed unavoidable as a result of the nature of the game. I would hope that AGs nowadays have solved some of these problems of the past, which would make the newer games more fun. Pixel-hunting and full linearity should remain in the past, as well as only being able to solve a puzzle a single way.

I started playing TLJ with a younger family member last year, and it’s amazing that I still consider that a “new” AG because it’s rendered in 3D.

Playing older games is comfortable, because you can also feel safe in the fact that the bugs will have been fixed and there will always be a walkthrough available at the click of a button if you need it, so there’s less to “worry” about. And familiarity is always comfortable. I’ve replayed many AGs, sometimes because back when I first started, you’d replay a game multiple times because they were all you had, they weren’t as ubiquitous as they are now. AGs are much more about the storytelling and much less about the mechanics, so as long as they tell a good story, replaying one will always be enjoyable.

Although, it can be easier to just watch a Let’s Play of the game on youtube and watch someone else struggle with the interface instead of trying to get old games working myself Grin

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I love replaying old AGs, and do so all the time, but there’s nothing quite like the feeling of discovering a new good (or even better, great) game.
I know the old games so well that I don’t feel the thrill anymore, with maybe the exception of Grim Fandango, but that’s because I played it quite late after its release, and, well, it’s just that well written.

So my answer is no.  Smile

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2018-04-10

PM

I guess it depends on how well you remember the game, and how many times you have played it.

It depends on how much it engages you. If it was something with lots of backtracking between quests, I would have less patience for that now. Similarly, if the puzzles were too obscure and you were constantly consulting a walkthrough, that would be pretty pointless.

I would probably find Monkey Island 2 a bit slow nowadays, and the humour might not be as funny the fifth time around, even though I haven’t played that for 20 years. I would probably play Simon The Sorceror 1 again, because that was charming and they put in a lot of effort for the dialogue, scenery and puzzles, and it wasn’t too long, it was just about the right length for the story it was trying to tell. There are plenty of old adventure games I could name that I have completed but wouldn’t go back to.

I haven’t played The Longest Journey in many years, and I’m certain I would really enjoy that again (maybe that’s a bad example, since it’s the greatest adventure game ever made Grin ). So, if it still engages you in some way, enough to overcome any annoying points, that’s probably the critical factor.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I like replaying them sometimes just for the nostalgia associated with them.  They take me back to what I was doing when I first played them. 

GK: The Beast Within invokes memories of my time living in Germany and actually shopping on the very streets and visiting the castle, both it so accurately renders.  Even the house where I stayed looked very similar to the one in the game. 

I play Darkseed because it took me forever to conquer the bugs and get it working with sound and narration on my less-than-capable computer at the time.  Besides, it’s a good game.  I wish it worked on Win10, but then that’s what Virtual Machine is for.

I keep my old game comps because some very old games will only play on the hardware they were designed for and on downtime I sometimes crank up the old PacBell with 64KB ram running Win 1.3 and play Sam ‘n’ Max Hit The Road which has to be loaded from a ZIP Drive (remember those ?) and is still as much fun as ever.  I remember paying a king’s ransom for a second stick of ram which bumped it up from 32KB the comp came with.  Good times.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I prefer new games, but do replay the old classics too. Some games are even more fun the 2nd time around.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m going to be the killjoy and say that the 2nd time around is never as fun. Ever!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 18 April 2018 07:50 AM

I’m going to be the killjoy and say that the 2nd time around is never as fun. Ever!

its all about how much you remember, some games mostly 3-5 years old feels like a new for me or lets say 70-80% new, and if its just me because I have a bad memory, then other people might need more years that those and it will feel the same.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Dara100 - 17 April 2018 03:43 PM

I keep my old game comps because some very old games will only play on the hardware they were designed for and on downtime I sometimes crank up the old PacBell with 64KB ram running Win 1.3 and play Sam ‘n’ Max Hit The Road which has to be loaded from a ZIP Drive (remember those ?) and is still as much fun as ever.

You should be able to just use ScummVM.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

russ869 - 18 April 2018 02:24 PM

I keep my old game comps because some very old games will only play on the hardware they were designed for and on downtime I sometimes crank up the old PacBell with 64KB ram running Win 1.3 and play Sam ‘n’ Max Hit The Road which has to be loaded from a ZIP Drive (remember those ?) and is still as much fun as ever.

mayhap, but it is not the same

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Advie - 19 April 2018 03:59 PM
russ869 - 18 April 2018 02:24 PM

mayhap, but it is not the same

Quite. I generally replace my computers when they break down, so it wouldn’t be such a viable strategy for me (and to be honest I wouldn’t have space for all the old ones) but I can definitely see the appeal of playing the old games exactly the way you used to.

But then I’m old-fashioned. I like reading paper books and everything.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Phlebas - 20 April 2018 04:56 AM

but I can definitely see the appeal of playing the old games exactly the way you used to.

But then I’m old-fashioned. I like reading paper books and everything.

Well, I too am old fashioned and couldn’t do without paper books, but experiences like swapping tons of disks or changing your memory settings all the time (XMS vs EMS anyone ?) or waiting for ages for a computer to boot is only fun through the nostalgia lens.
Granted, these problems were replaced by new problems, but all the more reason why I’m happy I have a convenient and efficient way to make old games work with the snap of a finger.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Sadly, that’s true.
I’m currently replaying Simon the Sorcerer, and it’s still awesome, and some screens still give me thrills (skull island…), but it’s not as strong as the first time around.

No matter how long I haven’t played a game and how little of it I remember, memories still creep up on me as I’m playing, and I can never quite recreate the discovery of the first time.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Wrong!

I’m currently replaying the GK series and at least the third one, which I’m almost finished with for the sixth or seventh time, is actually better each time I replay it. I guess it has to do with the structure of the game, where it’s easy to miss stuff the first time(s) around. Also a few of the less than stellar puzzles and points where it’s hard to know what to do to bring things forward the first time(s) around makes it more enjoyable the second or sixth time. Every new playthrough means a more complete experience.

Same goes for The Last Express imo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top