• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

main page search-bug or feature?

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Sorry if its known issue but i couldn’t find that its raised up.
I just tried to search “zerzura” on main page while not logged in and got:
The following errors were encountered
You are not authorized to perform this action
Return to Previous Page

When I logged in, it worked.
I tried also with “hoodwinked” while not logged in - same report.
I’m using Chrome.

Seems like search function is disabled for guests.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It’s a (known) bug.

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I don’t want to complain but over 3 months have passed since my last post, and the bug still remains. I think it was working at some point, but right now the search don’t work even while logged in.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It’s not a bug we have control over.  We can only pester the designers of the engine the site runs on to address it in an update (and have done so).  Clearly they either don’t know how or it’s not a priority.

That said, I use the search constantly, and almost never a problem, logged in or out.  So if you’re having problems, remember two things: 1) it’s VERY particular—typos, punctuation, everything matters.  Get one character wrong and it’ll turn up nothing.  2) If you do make a mistake or get an empty result, it tends to choke on any search after that if you don’t hit refresh.  No idea why, but a quick reset tends to work wonders.

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I suspected it might be engine’s “feature”...

I’m not talking about typos but message page:
Return to Previous Page

I’m trying to find conditions how the bug occurs, but I can’t. Sometimes it works, usually not. Sometimes it helps to change 1st character in to uppercase. I’m working with different keywords and the most unsuccessful word so far is “Sinbad” (only 1 successful find, others tries get “...not authorized…”). “Edna” works maybe in half of cases.

Anyway, those are not stable conditions and do not help while talking with devs. Only thing i can think at this point is site load. Maybe site denies request if some function is overloaded? Logs (in expectation that traffic, requests, replies are monitored) can help here. Maybe just a simple solution, adding more “slots” for searchers, help. Just a wild guess.

Extra note: main page search on top right corner and 2nd search bar which comes out after successful 1st search, are seemingly(!) working differently. The 2nd works better. But it makes no logical sense and I think its coincidence.

Although i haven’t encountered any other strange behavior from my Chrome in any other site, I do not rule out a small probability it my prob. I’ll try Firefox too and if possible, other pc as well as soon as i have some extra time.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

lewuz - 29 October 2012 03:29 AM

I’m not talking about typos but message page:
Return to Previous Page

That relates to my point #2 above. If you do make an error, or don’t make an error but get an empty search result anyway, the NEXT time you try a search of any kind, it usually gives that “not authorized” error message.  Which is silly and wrong, but happens anyway.  If you just refresh the page first, it should work.

It’s definitely finicky and problematic at times, so we’re not happy about it the way it is.  But the problems should really be few and far between, so it definitely sounds like you’re having more problems than most.  I’m no techie myself, though, so I just pass messages to people who are.  Tongue

Search isn’t case-sensitive, by the way.  That’s the one bit of flexibility it does allow.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top