• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (Sequel to 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think the graphics are much better in Zero Escape. I didn’t like the 2D drawn images of the first as much as I like the 3D Rendered images in the 2nd.

In every way it is a better game in my book.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oh game, why are you messing with my head like that?

I was a bit put off by a few things at first, but after playing from almost 9 hours (Can it really have been that long? I only received the game yesterday evening, and I went to work today! But I guess the time counter on the save file knows what it’s doing…) I have to force myself to put down the DS… And I know I’m going to have a lot of trouble thinking about anything else until I reach the end. It’s not a game: it’s an experience—one that completely takes over your life.

The first one did the same thing to me, but I expect this one to be even stronger because it’s resolved 999’s two biggest problems: with the new flowchart feature, the game keeps track for you of the story paths you’ve explored and those you haven’t, and (more importantly) allows you to jump back to any decision node you’ve reached previously. So gone is the need to restart and replay the same sections over and over again to explore all the branches!

Speaking of the flowchart, a little story. One thing that bugged me about it is that you can see from the get-go on the flow chart that some branches are longer than others, and it’s a natural leap to guess that the longest branch is going to be the “true” ending. That bugged me, because it meant that you can use the flowchart to plot your way to that branch instead of making your choices based on the story. Anyway, I was playing tonight and I reached a node that the flowchart depicted as the last one on my current branch. I was thus expecting to get killed, and for the 30 minutes of that story section I kept jumping in my seat everytime a character walked in, wondering if he was the one who was going to kill me. But then I didn’t die and reached a new room escape sequence! I went “what!?” and looked at the flowchart, only to discover that it had been updated with a dozen new nodes (with some sub-branches) down the branch I was currently on. So much for my foolproof method to get to the true ending! And thank you game messing with my head. Again.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Just a heads up for people in Europe and Australia.

Whilst the US version has the choice of English and Japanese, Rising Star (the European publisher) decided to only have Japanese voiceovers. It would have been nice to at least be given the choice Frown

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Trickless - 27 October 2012 07:18 AM

Just a heads up for people in Europe and Australia.

Whilst the US version has the choice of English and Japanese, Rising Star (the European publisher) decided to only have Japanese voiceovers. It would have been nice to at least be given the choice Frown

Cool. I’m happy with this! Laughing

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m playing it - it is very long - the 3D art is marvelous and much improved over the first games artwork.

I’ll be playing it for quite sometime - I want to get most of the endings. I’ve heard that a third one is in the works.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Great, now I REALLY want a 3DS. Tongue

Fortunately, I was able to haggle the purchase of a 3DS from the missus, so I’ll probably be getting one after all. Even if it takes another half year or so… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s also coming out on the Vita.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The game has got great reviews. Both it and prof Layton and the Mask of Miracle got an 8.5 rating on Gamespot - which is very high.

Heart

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm im increasingly tempted to get a 3ds.. maaaybe on black friday.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I missed out on 999 because it never came out in Oz (and I never got around to importing it), but if this is seeing a proper release I’ll be picking it up straight away Grin Exactly my type of game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

orient - 29 October 2012 06:53 AM

I missed out on 999 because it never came out in Oz (and I never got around to importing it), but if this is seeing a proper release I’ll be picking it up straight away Grin Exactly my type of game.

I didn’t want to miss out on 999, so I imported it.
One of the best games I’ve played on the DS.

And now the 3DS is looking increasingly interesting… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’m planning on getting 999 next month for when I finish Phoenix Wright 3! Grin

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You should be very happy with 999 - I loved that game. I payed big $$$$ for Ace Attorney 3 and it was worth every penny. The new Layton game is quite good too.

Heart

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I imported The Last Window from the UK (game.co.uk) which was fairly pricey but I didn’t care because Hotel Dusk was one of my favourite games. I’m just a bit hesitant to pay $50+ on eBay for 999, and Amazon won’t ship console games to Australia.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

orient - 30 October 2012 01:13 AM

I imported The Last Window from the UK (game.co.uk) which was fairly pricey but I didn’t care because Hotel Dusk was one of my favourite games. I’m just a bit hesitant to pay $50+ on eBay for 999, and Amazon won’t ship console games to Australia.

I have used Play Asia before for DS games, some are priced quite well and shipping to Aus wasn’t too bad. I just checked but it’s out of stock of 999 though…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top