• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Borderlands: The Presequel

In my thirst for everything Borderlands this year, I went ahead and played Borderlands:The Presequel. As the name suggests, the game takes place after Borderlands 1 but before the events of Borderlands 2, and it chronicles the rise of Handsome Jack to power. As a side note, this game was developed by 2k Australia and not by Gearbox. Although the game is a separate product from Borderlands 2, it plays so similarly that it feels more like a fancy DLC than it does a separate product.

Pros
- the Borderlands game loop is so good that it is hard to screw up, and this game capitalizes on it.
- Some interesting small gameplay tweaks like more verticality with zero-g and jump pads, and cryo weapons.
- Laser weapons are cool.
- Captain America Athena is a great new character.

Cons
- The witty humor in Borderlands 2 is missing here, and the jokes are not funny.
- What’s up with everyone speaking with an Australian accent when in Borderlands 1 and 2, they all spoke in an American accent? It feels so jarring and out of place. Is it because the game takes place on a moon which is as remote and barren as the Australian outback?
- Most of the characters (besides Athena) are not interesting or funny. Zed > Nina, Scooter >>> Springs, and Tiny Tina >>>>> Pickle. And don’t get me started on Zarpedon or the Bosun.
- The quests aren’t as fun as those in Borderlands 2, and the story isn’t as interesting.

Overall, the presequel isn’t a horrible game, and the fact that it plays so similarly to Borderlands 2 ensures that it is at least fun to play, but the lame jokes, the sub par quests, and uninteresting characters keeps this game from the greatness of its predecessor.

7/10

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 19 February 2018 01:52 AM

- What’s up with everyone speaking with an Australian accent when in Borderlands 1 and 2, they all spoke in an American accent? It feels so jarring and out of place. Is it because the game takes place on a moon which is as remote and barren as the Australian outback?

Its because it was made by B team in Australia(2k Aus was lead Dev) and even my friend worked on it Grin

I never got the motivation to play this game, even though Athena and claptrap were great characters

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2018 09:57 AM
SoccerDude - 19 February 2018 01:52 AM

Its because it was made by B team in Australia(2k Aus was lead Dev) and even my friend worked on it Grin

I never got the motivation to play this game, even though Athena and claptrap were great characters

You’re really not missing much except for a couple of small references in Tales from the Borderlands.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Knack

Free on PSN after years of people asking for it.

The game is pretty bland. The idea of adjusting your size or using metal/ice for parts in the game could have been fun if it wasn’t totally scripted.

2/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2018-02-23

PM

I finished up Miles Edgeworth: Ace Investigations, the last case felt like it refused to end. Probably one of the longest in the series, maybe even longer than Rise From The Ashes in the OG Ace Attorney game. I still enjoyed it though, despite it having the same problem as Ace Attorney where you’ll sometimes have the solutions before the game is ready to let you solve them.

Completed the Secret of Mana remake as well, it was pretty bad. I really wanted to enjoy it but the shift into 3D just felt so jarring. It’s still super charming and has a lot of what made the original game so special in there, but man, the graphical overhaul really ruined it for me.  Meh

“We hold our rifles in missing hands, we stand tall on missing legs - we stride forward on the bones of our fallen”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite

A game met with tragic Marvel game division management
Game is out of Evo esports , so this might not continue with more seasons and characters
Seems like a deadend with sales (even though at 1 million which is great considering the budget) but Marvel probably want more

Pros

-Gameplay is smooth, and addictive as usual in comparisons, i will put its gameplay above SFV, Injustice 2
-Venom,Monsterhunter,WakandaPanther, Sigma,Gomorrah,Zero,X are very very juicy…main reason for coming back for more
-Stages are better than SFV, music is okay
-loading is great, huge factor since its pissing me off in SFV and Tekken7
-Arcade mode is fun
-Story mode is your typical animated comic movie, and story just for the sake of crossover story
-Great alternate costumes

Cons

Online matches hard to find, matches are smooth, online code is good, but gamers are abandoning it
Some faces are on crack,goofy
Recycled characters, but if you think about it Tekken does it more so i dont know

Solid 8.5/10

MonsterHunter world

Havent finished it, and backlogged, i might not go back
Reasons below for those who are new to series and want to hop in bandwagon

No quality of life mechanics , NPCs at different levels, hunt go back talk to each one
Menus, more menus, lots of busy work, lots of roaming around same space , gets boring after 20 hrs but hey keep reading
Loading , loading ...each section is loading , considering its PS3 hd game i thought better
Character creator is among best, but in game models and locations have early ps3 feel
Ultimate grindfest, this bothers more for reasons below
You have to grind even in main story mode
I was skipping dialogues, basically you hunt as you are a hunter
After 30 hrs you find out, 4 times you killed one monster for a armor and weapon
well that was low rank shit, real game starts now with high rank shit, and guess wat
Hunt same monsters again 4 times, so if you are not lucky you will be fighting for same monster 10 times for full armor set and proper weapon to progress story
I have to confirm it , but i think drops are RNG, so if game decided you would not get some shitty scale, you are doomed to fight and repeat same shit again and again

So i asked my pals, wats up, they have killed 200 monsters, and some say for full MH experience you need to put 150+ hrs
For math, i am at HunterRank 15 after 40 hrs, so it has HRank40 and more

If you loved what i said above buy the game if not , turn and run Smile

Verdict

Grind took its toll

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Hollow Knight

Just finished Hollow Knight. It took me over 50 hours and I got to 99%.

If you like metroidvania games at least a little bit, do yourself a favour and play this one… it’s a gem.

As far as I’m concerned they did everything right. Gameplay and controls are so smooth that it’s a joy just to run around and explore the world.
And what a world that is. Beautiful mix of melancholy, odd characters and subtle humour.
New locations will often take your breath away.
Arriving in the City of Tears, once capital of Hallownest, now mostly abandoned place where it always rains, is just magical.

Music and sound are wonderful as well and both help establish one of the best atmospheres in games ever. Just hearing the humming of cartographer character (from whom you buy a map of each new area) is exciting.

The game has an interesting mix of atmosphere found in Amanita Design games and gameplay similar to classic metroidvanias.

While Hollow Knight can be quite difficult and, at times, downright torturing (especially optional parts that are not important for finishing the main story), you never feel that the game is cheating by making those parts difficult because of bad controls. It’s always you who need to get better, either at platforming or boss battles.

10/10

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Big fan of Metrodvania type games. Own both the DS and GBA trilogy Castlevania games.

Hollow Knight kind of turned me off because of its bleak look. But your review resparked interest.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Origami - 28 February 2018 09:23 PM

Big fan of Metrodvania type games. Own both the DS and GBA trilogy Castlevania games.

Hollow Knight kind of turned me off because of its bleak look. But your review resparked interest.

If you want a Metroidvania fix, have you played Dust: an Elysian Tail or Shadow Complex? Both games are among my favorite modern Metroidvanias.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

SoccerDude - 01 March 2018 12:13 AM
Origami - 28 February 2018 09:23 PM

If you want a Metroidvania fix, have you played Dust: an Elysian Tail or Shadow Complex? Both games are among my favorite modern Metroidvanias.

Yeah, finished them both. Dust especially was much better than expected. A very polished game for an indie. Thanks for recommendations though.

Some metrodvania’s I’d recommend:
-Guacamelee
-Axiom Verge
-La Mulana
-Teslagrad

Next up is Ori and the Blind Forest for me.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Ori and the Blind Forest is another gem. But after playing Hollow Knight, I must say HK takes the “best modern metroidvania” crown.

I really recommend you to give it a try. It’s not as bleak as it looks at first (some parts are downright colorful). It’s also quite humorous, but not in a cheesy way. It gives kind of Amanita Design vibe. Melancholic, but cute and not depressing or boring.

Ori and the Blind Forest is amazing as well, but HK is much more balanced when it comes to gameplay. The later parts in Ori were too difficult for me. Not because tasks would be too difficult, but because of too many multi-buttons-pressed-at-once combinations to achieve special moves. They were so complex, that I pretty much forgot what to press when I took a few days break from the game.

In HK though, all button combinations are simple and straightforward (I think 2 buttons press at most). What matters are combat tactics and smart use of charms for boss battles.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

First Goty contender , and a far better overall game than Witcher3, Skyrim etc

Pros

- Star studded cast, taking some super hit old (Beat Takeshi) and new(Tatsuya Fujiwara) fan favorites and put them in clusterfuck of action drama

- Incredible cutscenes, human expressions and acting shits on anything in market right now

- Decreased loading times, new engine looks photo realistic with perfectly capturing ambience and locations

- A+ OST, new tonality to it and its rocking af

- Some great effort being put in minigames

Baseball management game = manage team simulation and take shots
Clan creator = its a beast of new game within game, you create clan and hire new ones to fight with some super badass cast of exclusive villains
Chat/video sessions with JAV models, 10/10 stuff
Fishing spear, FPS underwater on rails fishing game where you hunt underwater creatures, including giant squid as boss
Cat hunting = Find cats , give them food and bring them back to owner , not every cat eats same food and you build relationship with them
Troublr- Get some random missions to help local peeps

- Best side missions in series, crazy fun and more fleshed out in presentation than many main missions of past games in series ( Onomichi, Ghost pirates, fake guru being my favs)

- Game is super loaded with high production content, presentation is off the charts

- Hiroshima is A+, great new location and better contrast to hectic urban life of Tokyo

- You can now enter buildings, and feel the crazy mazes of urban connectivity
go to rooftops , jump across etc , game changer in terms of immersion and detail

- Combat system is streamlined, and new heat powers are less irritating

- Food/restaurants now give you exp points, and some real purpose

- there is Fantasy zone, space harrier etc in Arcade
But
Virtua fighter 5 is incredible game Smile
solid remaster, super fast loading, 60 fps, sharp textures
Enjoyed it more than SFv, Tekkens and other recent fighters
Classic fighter, in terms of depth and technicality , DoA and Tekken as nothing on it
as a stand alone title its 10/10

- Story and setpieces are very well done

- Hours of cutscenes and twists, so much that cliffhangers dont end till end of the game
and then ending ends with cliffhanger but finishing Kiryu’s arc (hence the new lead guy in Yakuza7)

Cons

- Jaggies, some slowdown

Verdict

It can be argued if its better game than Shenmue games, its definitely best Yakuza game overall, along with Yakuza2 which rightfully got a remake
Just when i thought that series is loosing its steam with same cast and cliched plot threads, Yakuza6 takes all of that and wraps it up with incredible cast of villains(my main deciding factor) from mafias across the asian continent (Korean,Chinese)
in a plot that delivers crazy, fun entertainment, drama, cringe, cheese, wisdom, sex, action, brutality, wtf twists, human animal instincts,intense politics etc

10/10 - classic

PS = Sega made a huge mistake by uploading the full game instead of demo on US store
Sony later revoked license and Sega issued statement that saves will carry over and no action against those who are playing full version, ofcourse as it was Sega’s colossal fuck up
So some got their copies blocked later, because they were confidently online
Others like me went offline to isolate themselves from license cancellation till they suck the game dry Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 05 March 2018 05:55 AM

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

First Goty contender , and a far better overall game than Witcher3, Skyrim etc

Those are some serious comparisons. These 2 games come up in a lot of best of all time lists. Do you need any knowledge of prior Yakuzas to jump in, or is the story independent. It would be hard to catch up with 5 other games in the series.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 07 March 2018 01:26 AM

Those are some serious comparisons. These 2 games come up in a lot of best of all time lists

Few things
Its my opinion, i put Yak6 above them…most of the shit is not specific to western taste
I have a knack for Japanese culture and games and it delivered big time
Graphically too, its a picture perfect copy of real life locations and mind blows when you analyze detail inside shops(real brands), so its not that cheap Japanese game we normally get like NierA or Zelda graphics

Yakuza world is not as open but its more dense and delivers more in terms of real content this time, lots of side stuff mini games , 24 hrs it took me without finishing minigames
So you will not be running aimlessly like those open worlds but doing something
Plus combat is > Skyrim and W3 ,melee combat is something which many western games fail at

Do you need any knowledge of prior Yakuzas to jump in, or is the story independent. It would be hard to catch up with 5 other games in the series

Yes but there is small summary in Yak6, you need to have major understanding to understand bonds between characters and political threads that are coming back
But just like any sequel you can go back and enjoy other games in past
I would say play yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 2 remaster after this game or before

But it is enjoyable standalone game, you should must play it, you can get alot of mileage apart from story, highly recommended for peeps who want to live japanese virtual life and mentality of Yakuza
Plus it has Shenmue elements , this time more close to shenmue than ever before

yakuza6 should be the entry point for many who didnt get their taste with Yakuza0
as its technically superior and i say this again , best character acting, kojima games have nuthing on it, facial expressions is like real life Cinema stuff
My bro watched the whole game with me, lotsa cutscenes

As soon i will get back online, will share pics on PSN

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Anachronox

Thanks to GoG , we can replay this classic

Voiceacting, characters, story still holds up, combat and graphics didnt age well
Night dive should have picked this for remaster, just graphical upgrade

While playing was thinking how much Eidos gave to gaming as a publisher in them PC days

Anachronox, Omikron, Deusex,TR, Soulreaver, Hitman, Thief, Feareffect, Timeplitters, Revenant

Classic upon classic

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top