• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Readers “Game of the Year” List

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 October 2015 01:31 PM

Well, some of us stood up for what’s right and chose to go against the rule!

(Or had failed to notice the rule.)

Exactly, it was our moral imperative to fight against the injustice of ignoring the great classics from the 80s! 
Yeah I hadn’t seen the rule either

It’s surprising though that quite a few people don’t list any game from 1992… It was one of the golden years of adventure gaming.

So many great games: King Quest 6, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Dune by Cryo, BAT 2 the Koshan Conspiracy, The Dagger of Amon Ra, Lure of the Temptress, Quest for Glory 3, Dark Seed (never finished it too scary as a kid but a great game nonetheless), Eternam (well that one is actually pretty bad, but I loved it as a kid).

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 October 2015 01:11 PM

It’s weird to see so many lists starting in 1990. You guys need to play The Colonel’s Bequest!

Perhaps, like me, it’s when PCs became affordable, to an extent, to the masses. And with how games were forever pushing technology forward there was little reason to look backwards, particularly when you consider the price of games. Here in the UK I was paying £40/£50 for a game then, more when multiple CD games were being published.

However, just to show off a bit as not many people could have played this (non)adventure game (and it was the only computer game I played that year Tongue ):

1980:  Star Trek played on a Burroughs B6800 main-frame

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

giom - 19 October 2015 01:42 PM
Kurufinwe - 19 October 2015 01:31 PM

Well, some of us stood up for what’s right and chose to go against the rule!

(Or had failed to notice the rule.)

Exactly, it was our moral imperative to fight against the injustice of ignoring the great classics from the 80s! 
Yeah I hadn’t seen the rule either

You rebel scum!

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

123pazu - Black Dahlia was released end of Feb 1998 - but a neat way to include 2 of your all time games Smile

and edited to add BS 2 came out in 1997 not 1996.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

123pazu - 19 October 2015 02:26 PM
Jabod - 19 October 2015 02:21 PM

123pazu - Black Dahlia was released end of Feb 1998 - but a neat way to include 2 of your all time games Smile

That’s not cool… Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, and Sanitarium all in the same year Cry

Well, it does allow you to shift BS2 to its correct year of 1997 and then you could go for Pandora Directive for 1996 Innocent

Edited to add:

I’m wondering where in the world you are as a number of your games don’t match the actual year of publication and they could have been released later where you are.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

123pazu - 19 October 2015 02:33 PM
Jabod - 19 October 2015 02:29 PM
123pazu - 19 October 2015 02:26 PM
Jabod - 19 October 2015 02:21 PM

That’s not cool… Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, and Sanitarium all in the same year Cry

Well, it does allow you to shift BS2 to its correct year of 1997 and then you could go for Pandora Directive for 1996 Innocent

Edited to add:

I’m wondering where in the world you are as a number of your games don’t match the actual year of publication and they could have been released later where you are.

I was using this article Naughty

edit: wait you’re talking about BS2? I had BS1 on the list, so that’s 1996…

My sincere apologies - complete brain fart on my part Confused

And the other one I thought was wrong (7th Guest) wasn’t. I was wrong thinking that it was 1992.
I think I’ll go and stand in a corner with a dunces cap on.

But I was right about Black Dahlia Sarcastic

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

chrissie - 19 October 2015 01:22 PM
Kurufinwe - 19 October 2015 01:11 PM

It’s weird to see so many lists starting in 1990. You guys need to play The Colonel’s Bequest!

Hey, I’d love to if I could Kurufinwe! but the reason that the lists all start from 1990 is down to Ahenobarbus’ original post

Sorry about that but feel free to expand your lists whatever way you like, you rebels Grin Personally I have played only two adventures from 1980s—> Maniac Mansion and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. So it was natural for me to start the count from 1990.

It`s nice to see all your lists here, pretty interesting results too. Keep them coming Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I find it interesting that ND: The Silent Spy is on a list. I am on a business trip and have finished the following adventure games:

ND The Silent Spy

Sinking Island

Darkfall 2

ND: Lights, Camera Curses

Ghost Pirates

I’m hoping to also finish Dracula 3 and when I return home I’ll post my list dating back to 1986.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1986 - Trinity

1987- Beyond Zork

1988 - Neromancer

1989 - Indy Jones and Last Crusade

1990 - Rise of the Dragon

1991 - Heart of China

1992 - Dark Seed

1993 - Gabriel Knight 1

1994 - Hell, A Cyberpunk Thriller

1995 - The Daedalous Encounter

1996 - Phantasmagoria 2

1997 - Blade Runner

1998 - The X Files Game

1999 - Juggernaut

2000 - The Messenger

2001 - Shadow of Memories

2002 - Post Mortem

2003 - The Black Mirror

2004 - The Moment of Silence

2005 - Still Life

2006 - Another Code

2007 - Hotel Dusk

2008 - Time Hollow

2009 - Again

2010 - The Last Window

2011 - Thersia, Dear Emily

2012 - Virtue’s Last Reward

2013 - Corpse Party Book of Shadows

2014 - Dangan Ronpa

2015 - Grim Fandango Remastered

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 20 October 2015 12:27 AM

I find it interesting that ND: The Silent Spy is on a list.

Yes, I would find that interesting too! - what you need to understand is that I only completed Cold Case Summer (which was the next best contender!), Sam Peters, Memoria + Dracula 4 & 5 from that year (Broken sword 5 wasn’t complete according to Pagoda).
I’ve got Gone home, the Cognition series, Jack Haunt & Kentucky Route Zero yet to play from that year. As far as I got I thought The Silent Spy (as contrived as I thought it was) was a worthy interesting game that stands out in the ND series & a good competitor for the games I have so far played from that year!    Smile

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 18 October 2015 07:02 PM

i dont know why, but i feel like i owe Anna’s Quest an apology, that i kept aside all those months, but i am making it up it anyways by saying that “after playing Anna’s Quest i feel that Sierra is alive or at least resurrected”, there was nothing close to Sierra spirit that much before, and if that is not enough, i put it before Stasis and Armikrog as the best game for this year, i can even say that it’s better than anything Daedalic released before (or developed), but to be fair and not to take any credits off Daedalic, that the game (full) is much more better than the 1st episode alone; i mean the game gets far better after chapter one, and that might be to Daedalic cooperation.

I must say I was intrigued by your Sierra comparison and acquired the game, but so far it looks and plays a lot like Curse of Monkey Island, not anything by Sierra. Even the story alone is too linear and waaay too cute, even for King’s Quest VII Neutral Now Dropsy is another story - it truly owns to Sierra.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 22 October 2015 04:30 AM
Advie - 18 October 2015 07:02 PM

i dont know why, but i feel like i owe Anna’s Quest an apology, that i kept aside all those months, but i am making it up it anyways by saying that “after playing Anna’s Quest i feel that Sierra is alive or at least resurrected”, there was nothing close to Sierra spirit that much before, and if that is not enough, i put it before Stasis and Armikrog as the best game for this year, i can even say that it’s better than anything Daedalic released before (or developed), but to be fair and not to take any credits off Daedalic, that the game (full) is much more better than the 1st episode alone; i mean the game gets far better after chapter one, and that might be to Daedalic cooperation.

I must say I was intrigued by your Sierra comparison and acquired the game, but so far it looks and plays a lot like Curse of Monkey Island, not anything by Sierra. Even the story alone is too linear and waaay too cute, even for King’s Quest VII Neutral Now Dropsy is another story - it truly owns to Sierra.

Ma man,
maybe AnnaQuest looks like Lucasarts but it has Sierra’s ‘spirit’ with no doubt, an adventure that its gameplaying relies on helping others (NPCs) all along the adventure, defiantly belongs to the Roberta Williams style and approach.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

2009 Black Mirror 2 Reigning Evil

This game was a surprise to me, much better than I thought it would be.

Heart

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bump!

updated my post!

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Updated my post too!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!