• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gog releasing some old adventures

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Thanks, I always wanted to play this game.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Hi, it’s been a really long time since I visited the A.G forums. I came back here as I’ve found time and interest in playing adventure games again. Finally there’s time in my life for me! Who would have known some years ago,  Smile

I’d like to know if anyone have tried the Remastered Grim Fandango from GOG. I want to replay it and also give it to a friend of mine who’s gotten into adventure gaming.

I noticed the user reviews there weren’t all that optimistic and now I’m hesitant.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As far remastering goes, Grim Fandango isn’t visibly much different from the first glance. It does, however, have higher resolution textures, real-time shadows and a bit improved character models. But otherwise, it’s pretty much as the original was as far graphics go.

The beef of the remaster really comes in the form of highly improved controls and a remastered soundtrack and audio. So in that sense, if you’re expecting it to be an overhaul with newly rendered cinematics and background art, sure, it might be a disappointment, especially if you compare it to the Day of the Tentacle remaster, where the difference is very visible.

I don’t remember encountering any bugs or glitches when I played it. It’s technically a solid remaster and as far it goes, I’d reckon you’ll like or dislike the game as much as you did when you originally played it. You’ll like it more so if you hated the controls like I did.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 22 February 2018 12:18 PM

I don’t remember encountering any bugs or glitches when I played it. It’s technically a solid remaster and as far it goes, I’d reckon you’ll like or dislike the game as much as you did when you originally played it. You’ll like it more so if you hated the controls like I did.

Yeah, Grim Fandango was never a point-and-click game, but the remake actually is, or so I’ve been told (never tried it myself yet).

I never really understood what’s the big deal with that game, I could name a big number of games that I liked more than Grim Fandango, so I played the original only once, IIRC.

There is a fan patch for ResidualVM that creates some kind of point-and-click controls for the original game, so if that’s the only thing for the remake, then maybe trying out the fan patch first is a good idea.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

tomimt - 22 February 2018 12:18 PM

This is good news! I really liked it, althought it was a bit too difficult for me at the time. But the overall atmosphere and characters blew me away.
Thanks for your input. It was most helpful!

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Jelena - 22 February 2018 11:42 AM

Hi, it’s been a really long time since I visited the A.G forums. I came back here as I’ve found time and interest in playing adventure games again. Finally there’s time in my life for me! Who would have known some years ago,  Smile

I’d like to know if anyone have tried the Remastered Grim Fandango from GOG. I want to replay it and also give it to a friend of mine who’s gotten into adventure gaming.

I noticed the user reviews there weren’t all that optimistic and now I’m hesitant.

I’ve tried it.
It’s the original game, only with prettier character models and a point and click option.

So the best way to discover Grim Fandango, IMO.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

I would love to see some of Sierra’s Edutainment series like the Ecoquest games not sure why they haven’t released those yet another thing I would like to see is some Coktel Vision games at one point they were part of Sierra

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I would like to see the whole Dr Brain series released on GOG, for me it is the best edutainment adventure series ever made

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Martin’s controversial adventure 15 Days is on Gog now

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

So you haven’t been paying attention to posts on other threads then Advie! Smile
15 Days (scroll up to my 288 one)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 10 April 2018 02:09 PM

So you haven’t been paying attention to posts on other threads then Advie! Smile
15 Days (scroll up to my 288 one)

oh, no i havent really been looking at that thread, unless by luck, but i am gladyou sustained my view of the game as far from Martin’s others quality Laughing

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Eric the Unready is available on Gog as of now.
Great game, as are most Legend games, but the interface is a hybrid between classic text game and the more recent graphical interface, so it probably won’t be for everyone.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I always liked the artwork & never imagined the game would turn up in a playable version for modern systems so have grabbed it! That said I might hate it…..I’ll let you know.  Laughing

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

chrissie - 12 April 2018 12:12 PM

I always liked the artwork & never imagined the game would turn up in a playable version for modern systems so have grabbed it! That said I might hate it…..I’ll let you know.  Laughing

I got the opportunity to play it last year (Thanks LadyK!). If you like lots of reference jokes, some British humor, and general weirdness, I think you’ll enjoy it. Some of the puzzles are a bit umm… iffy. If you know what I mean. But what other game has Stan’s brother? That makes it worth it right there.

I’d give it a 3 out of 5.
3 positive points for goofy fun dialog, and the newspaper. 2 negative points weird puzzles.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Yay! FMV lovers rejoice! A game I have wanted to play for a long time now, The Dame Was Loaded is now up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top