• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shadow of the Comet -Reimagined

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Hello everyone!

Early this year I wanted to get into 3D modeling again and learn a few things and tricks, so I thought I could do it by re imagining a few of the backgrounds of Shadow of the Comet and maybe doing a short remake with a better interface just for fun and testing.

So I made a very basic playable tiny game with audio and some form of interactivity, and I was also working on the intro just to have something fun to show.

At this point I’m considering starting over but with full 2D painted graphics instead of 3D, but at the same time I don’t know if I should focus my time on an original game instead.

I was also considering to turn my patreon page to help support the game development of either this fan remake or a new original game, but I’m guessing I should have something working to show around since patrons don’t fall from the sky hehe.

Though I would love to hear opinions about it Smile

Here are the screenshots of the working game, hope you guys like these Smile

The Dock

Dr. Cobble’s House

The Player’s room in Dr. Cobble’s house

And this is the scene in the office, it appears in the intro but I thought about making it as the main game start screen.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jeans and a t-shirt with a crew cut in 1910?

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Oscar - 04 October 2016 07:08 AM

Jeans and a t-shirt with a crew cut in 1910?

Haha, I used Mixamo Fusion for creating the characters quickly, but I did a bit of research and Jeans have been around since 1900 and found some photos of people dressing about like that in 1910 (though I cannot say for sure the photos were accurate to that exact date even though some had 1910 on them).
Either way I tried making it as close I could with the parts I was able to use and I could change textures later on.

But the idea (if I would continue it) would be to make the characters from scratch, either in 2D or 3D.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It looks good (for example, far, far better than the Gold Rush! remake).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Try to use some dust,dirt,rust fx on objects textures with weathered clothes and dim global ligthing,that’ll do.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What Gabe said. I think the town should have more of a worn look about it, more decay and signs of age.

Other than that, I think you’re off to a good start with these. If there’s a game that would benefit from being completely overhauled, it’s Shadow of the Comet.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Neat ideas, just remember that a patreon means youre profiting off it in some form, and whoever may own the rights.. im guessing its not you. Even if it is being developed for free doesnt make it legally safe.. but probably less likely anyone cares. I wouldnt think patreon is a good place for game development anyway. Its more geared towards musicians/painters/podcasts.

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Thank you guys for the replies.

I think it would be wiser to put my efforts in an original game instead.

Before that I will do some changes to the current interface I had sketched and maybe polish a bit some areas and release what I have done so people can play with it.

I’ll see if I do a paint over to these scenes and get them to look better, I had a rough time with the shaders and render engine and wanted to do a paint job on top but wasn’t sure about it.

I’ve seen patreon been used for movies as well, so it could be interesting to use that to show how a game and the assets can be created.

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Hi guys, I’m working on an original game so I won’t spend more time on this remake, but just to feel like I finished something I reworked most of the scenes, changed the characters and polished the gameplay a bit so it feels closer to the original game, though it is still a bit rough with some place holders.

I would love for people to play it so I made a build for PC, if you are curious as to what I was aiming for you can download and play it through this link and you can also leave some critiques and comments as those would help me on my own game:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gkugyc5GGkAKSH0fyYTO9JFJ4nVeUgGD

Hope you like it.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really like the reimagined background renders. The few rooms you have are nicely detailed and overall a very good take on what the original game was. In all honesty, I do prefer your take on them, as I’ve always found the original to be very crude in style.

The user interface felt pretty good to me, though I did notice that the quit button doesn’t give you are yes/no prompt, so you might want to add that, as someone might click that by accident and end up quitting the game.

I would take in consideration to use real-time characters in your game. The animation you have now is a bit stiff not to mention time-consuming, so a 2.5D game could give you some more room in fine-tuning things.

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Thank you Tomi, I placed a lot of effort into the backgrounds so I’m glad you liked them, I agree about the characters, for my game I will be switching from Visionaire to Unity so I will go full real-time 3D (including the scenery) so the animations should be much more natural and smooth since I can have them with a huge deal of frames while having little processing impact, I already tested it and the animations work and blend far better.

Sorry about the quit button, I overlooked it since the demo is very short and you can’t do much.

I also forgot to mention that you can right click on the journal pages or the objects to play the original narrations.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If you’re jumping to Unity, I can recommend getting Adventure Creator plugin for it. I bought it myself some time ago from a sale, though it’s only 70 bucks normally, and provides pretty much all you need for adventure game creation

I’ve been using it in my Mission Asteroid project and it makes the logistics, like conversations, movement and hotspots, pretty simple.

https://adventurecreator.org/

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

tomimt - 22 February 2018 04:07 AM

If you’re jumping to Unity, I can recommend getting Adventure Creator plugin for it. I bought it myself some time ago from a sale, though it’s only 70 bucks normally, and provides pretty much all you need for adventure game creation

I’ve been using it in my Mission Asteroid project and it makes the logistics, like conversations, movement and hotspots, pretty simple.

https://adventurecreator.org/

Can confirm, Adventure Creator is great, and the guy making it is super supportive and ready to help.

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

Thank you, yes I will be using Adventure Creator since I too think it is a great tool and Chris is incredibly supportive as well, I even made a short Grim Fandango office scene back in Unity 4.6 using AC but lost it in a hard drive crash and only have the now unsupported web build and a screenshot Confused.

At the time I made the Grim Fandango scene I wanted to do this short remake of Shadow of the Comet in Unity but I was too new to Unity and also wasn’t comfortable building low poly game assets (I was used to make high poly models with procedural materials) and then I got stuck in how would I make the characters stick and follow the carriage around hehe, so I ended up using Visionaire which I knew quite a bit.

BTW Mr. Underhill, I’m loving what you guys are doing in Gibbous, can’t wait to play the full game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top