• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SamandMax

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My 2016, crowdfunding-wise

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The one and only highlight of 2016 was Obduction. It was released 10 months after the estimated release date, which is a negligible delay these days. More importantly,  it was everything I hoped for. Investment justified. Smile

What else? Not much. One or two boxed games arrived, like Broken Age, 19 months after the release of part 2. I’m afraid the shine has gone off them.

Jack Houston and the Necronauts – funded Aug 2012 – estimated delivery date Dec 2013. The developer just finished setting up his studio again in his new apartment. This guy clearly enjoys working on his life’s dream. 

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption – funded Nov 2012 – estimated delivery date Oct 2013. Reading the updates became too painful, so I have no idea if and when it will be released.

Asylum – funded Feb 2013 – estimated delivery date Dec 2013. In 2016, they switched engines for the second time. If my memory serves me well, the developer announced that he would announce a release date in 2017.

XING: The land Beyond – funded April 2013 – estimated delivery date Oct 2013. In spite of the many updates about all kinds of stuff it’s not clear to me how the game is progressing. I’m sure they will release it one day though. 

St. Christopher’s School Lockdown – funded July 2013 – estimated delivery Dec 2014. Release date announced for March 2017.

Harvest – funded July 2013 – estimated delivery Feb 2014. Two updates in 2016, but based on the info of previous updates I’d already written the game off.

A Song for Viggo – funded June 2014 – estimated delivery June 2015. First they switched from the original engine to Unity, now they’re switching back to their original engine. The developer has also recently discovered it is much more efficient to put the storyline in actual lines and papers on the wall. 

Last Life – funded May 2014 – estimated delivery May 2015. The only update in 2016 was posted in June and the one before that in December 2015. 

Ithaka of the Clouds aka The Council of Crows – funded on Indiegogo Feb or March 2013 – estimated delivery date 6-8 months after funding. Jonas Kyratzes is one of my favorite game developers. BUT. I absolutely hate it when developers commit to new (more lucrative?) projects and put the old ones on hold for a long time. He completed two or three(!) other projects before returning to this one. It may be understandable in some cases, but it does show a lack of respect for backers. Anyway, release date announced for Feb 1017. 

Reset – funded on Indiegogo Dec 2013 – estimated delivery date Dec 2014. Release 2016 postponed but hopefully soon.

I want to end on a positive note. I’m very much looking forward to Reset and to The Council of Crows.  Cool

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I backed most of those too! I haven’t managed to play Obduction yet - had a try but it repeatedly crashed before I got into the game proper, so I moved onto something else. Hopefully they’ve patched it by now and I’ll have more success when I eventually find time for another go at it.

I’d pretty much give Jonas Kyratzes a free pass on Ithaka of the Clouds - his vision for the game has changed significantly along the way, and he’s produced several smaller games in the meantime as well as the other projects. And I gather his finances aren’t that great, so I won’t begrudge him the (presumably) better paid commercial work - it helps that I loved Talos Principle too, of course! Come to think of it, backers got a discount voucher for Talos as well.

I’m also hopeful that both Night in the Woods and Jack King Spooner’s new game Dujanah will be finished soon - they both look all kinds of strange and wonderful.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Besides Obduction that was excellent other stuff I backed was released this year - Demetrios, The Last Time, Goetia, Order of Thorne, His Majesty Spiffing, Dog Mendonça and Pizza Boy, Duke Grabowski, Candle - I think all of them were late but not excessively and from what I played they mostly delivered although I still got a bunch in backlog. Candle was very late but it made up by being excellent.

Also backed a lot of those late ones that you talked about plus

Spaceventure -  Shifty Eyed  needs no introductions, I’m sure it will be out this year, at least it’s getting updated

Memoranda - Releasing 25th January

The Journey Down - initial estimate Sept 2016, contant updates, will be out in the Spring I think

Bertram Fiddle - same, lots of updates, will be out this year

Tsioque - same

Lancelot’s Hangover - Dec 2016 estimate, I think it might be out soon

Thimbleweed Park - Needs no introduction, lots of updates, will be out soon

Oak Island - They changed the plan of releasing 3 chapters and instead will release the full game, seems like it might take a while. Still constant updates

Other games like Luna and Gibbous have an estimated release date of 2017 and seem to be progressing well.

Kickstarter seems to have cooled down a lot this year but most of the indie that are coming out of it seem solid and good.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 09 January 2017 01:54 PM

Spaceventure -  Shifty Eyed  needs no introductions, I’m sure it will be out this year, at least it’s getting updated

That says it all. I’ve learned a lot from my mistakes as a backer of KS and Indiegogo projects, but even when they were running their Spaceventure campaign all my alarm bells were going off.

Phlebas - 09 January 2017 12:33 PM

I’d pretty much give Jonas Kyratzes a free pass on Ithaka of the Clouds - his vision for the game has changed significantly along the way, and he’s produced several smaller games in the meantime as well as the other projects. And I gather his finances aren’t that great, so I won’t begrudge him the (presumably) better paid commercial work - it helps that I loved Talos Principle too, of course! Come to think of it, backers got a discount voucher for Talos as well.

Yeah, I’d forgotten all about the Talos voucher. Shame on me. Still haven’t played the game, gave the voucher to someone else. You’re right in what you’re saying about not begrudging him better paid commercial work. On the other hand, the Talos Principle was a very succesful game, I thought he’d make enough money out of it to support him for a while. But he’s already back to his usual complaints about his financial situation, which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

UPDATE 2017

The text adventure Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way arrived after a negligible delay. Glad I backed it, would not hesitate to back another one. Xing: The Land Beyond and The St Christopher’s School Lockdown were also released. Long wait, but investment justified. Loved both games.

What else? Several boxed games finally arrived: Armikrog, Obduction with lovely extras, and Quest for Infamy in DVD case.

Jack Houston and the Necronauts – funded Aug 2012 – estimated delivery date Dec 2013. Still working at it, I take it. I stopped reading the updates.

The same goes for Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption – funded Nov 2012 – estimated delivery date Oct 2013.

Asylum – funded Feb 2013 – estimated delivery date Dec 2013. The developer announced in 2016 that he would announce a release date in 2017. Which he did.

Harvest – funded July 2013 – estimated delivery Feb 2014. Last update in June 2016. Goodbye, Harvest!

A Song for Viggo – funded June 2014 – estimated delivery June 2015. He’s still working on it.

Last Life – funded May 2014 – estimated delivery May 2015. The developer needs extra funding. Doesn’t sound good. Last update in August. 

Ithaka of the Clouds aka The Council of Crows – funded on Indiegogo Feb or March 2013 – estimated delivery date 6-8 months after funding. In 2016 Jonas Kyratzes announced a release date for Feb 2017. I don’t know what’s keeping him, haven’t received any updates.

Reset – funded on Indiegogo Dec 2013 – estimated delivery date Dec 2014. They announced a release date for 2016, game was almost ready, testing, finetuning, blah blah, game postponed, new release date announced for early 2017. Last post in April: “More news on the release next week”. And the rest is silence. No activity at their web site, twitter, facebook. Scamware!

With three enjoyable Kickstarter games released, 2017 was a good year. I suppose I shouln’t complain about the rest.  Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I had a great kickstarter year!

- Bertram Fiddle: A Bleaker Predicklement (next in my list to play and hopefully pretty bug free now Smile )
- Calm Waters (Not a best adventure I have played but it`s a valiant effort and developer did what he promised)
- Four Last Things (This is a little renaissance gem!)
- The Journey Down (Trilogy is complete and this is my Best Adventure Game of the Year 2017 choice in aggie-award polls starting soon)
- Thimbleweed Park (Great adventure game and all in all impeccable kickstarter project from start line to finish! My 2.favorite game of the year after TJD-trilogy)

2018 is going to be pretty good too with Gibbous, Guard Duty, Hero-U, The Mystery of Oak Island, (Truberbrook), Tsioque, (Asylum) etc..

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

2018:

Mage’s Initiation

“Our current projection for a release time-frame is late Q1 to early Q2 in 2018.”

Hero-U

“Game release - between March 15 and April 15.”

Columnae

“And having in mind the current state of the game and the state of our finances, our estimate for finishing it is summer 2018.”

Jenny LeClue

“Let’s make 2018 the year of Jenny! =]”

Gibbous

“2018 shall be the year of the Gibbous moon!”

Mystery of Woolley Mountain

“It’s a funny thing though, when working towards a finish line - I’ve been imagining 2018 for some time now, due to the fact that is when Woolley Mountain is released (end of summer…), so to start writing 2018 instead of 2017 will not come as a surprise to me!”

SpaceVenture

Maybe?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Karlok - 30 January 2018 01:31 PM

Ithaka of the Clouds aka The Council of Crows – funded on Indiegogo Feb or March 2013 – estimated delivery date 6-8 months after funding. In 2016 Jonas Kyratzes announced a release date for Feb 2017. I don’t know what’s keeping him, haven’t received any updates.

Stop press: Just had an update! A very apologetic one saying the game is nearly finished and beta keys will be released as soon as he’s finished connecting everything up. Well, one of the games - The Council of Crows, which is most of what Ithaka of the Clouds would have been; Ithaka itself will follow after that and be more texty, I think. So on the one hand it’s been a very long time coming, but on the other hand we get two games rather than one and there have been free games and discounts on other things he’s worked on in the meantime. I’ve finally finished Omegaland, enjoyed it a lot and don’t feel cheated Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top