• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Help converting my game from PC to Mac?

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Hi.

So, some people have asked about a Mac-version of Silent Footsteps, and since I don’t have one myself, I need help doing that.

I have a manual, or instructions, for a program called “Wineskin Winery”, which is free. So if anyone wants to give it a go, and/or test the game later on, please let me know.

Thank you. =)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I installed using Wineskin and seems to work well.  my Mac is 10 years old…

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

wilco - 29 January 2018 03:30 PM

I installed using Wineskin and seems to work well.  my Mac is 10 years old…

Well, the game isn’t that demanding, so it might be just fine. I can send you the manual I have, if you want to have a look?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, I can try but no promises since I don’t have much knowledge in this

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

wilco - 29 January 2018 04:10 PM

No problem. PM sent.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

RebKean - 29 January 2018 04:52 PM

No problem. PM sent.

I didn’t receive the PM, don’t know if there was an error

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

wilco - 30 January 2018 05:00 AM
RebKean - 29 January 2018 04:52 PM

No problem. PM sent.

I didn’t receive the PM, don’t know if there was an error

Tried again. =)

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

So basically this program takes a PC build and gives it a wrapper to launch under Wine emulation?  Interesting… I wonder how well it works.

This could be a fast and easy option for people wanting to make a Mac build without having to truly make a port, although since it won’t be a native program, may not win over many Mac users who could, if they wanted, just run the game under Wine emulation anyway.

(Sorry about that… just thinking out loud!!)

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Wish I could reply, but I don’t really know how it works.  Smile

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

RebKean - 31 January 2018 07:21 PM

I’m fairly sure the answer is ‘Yes’. It’ll be running the game by pretending to be Windows, so while it should work OK it’ll never be as slick as a real port to Mac (and indeed if they were prepared to go to the trouble of setting up Wine themselves they could just get the PC version and run that - it sounds as though Wilco did just that. You’d just be saving them the bother by providing the wrapper).

The difficulty of doing a proper port would depend on how you made the original version - what did you use?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 01 February 2018 10:30 AM

I’m fairly sure the answer is ‘Yes’. It’ll be running the game by pretending to be Windows, so while it should work OK it’ll never be as slick as a real port to Mac (and indeed if they were prepared to go to the trouble of setting up Wine themselves they could just get the PC version and run that - it sounds as though Wilco did just that. You’d just be saving them the bother by providing the wrapper).

The difficulty of doing a proper port would depend on how you made the original version - what did you use?

That’s it, it’s what I did. Wondering, what would be advantages of having a real Mac port? More options for customization?

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Phlebas - 01 February 2018 10:30 AM
RebKean - 31 January 2018 07:21 PM

Do you mean slick as in how it looks, or something else? If someone here has played The Birdwatcher for instance, on both PC and Mac, then you can compare them. It’s the same system as the one I’m talking about. I can’t check of course, but others might.

The game is made with the Wintermute Engine, if that’s what you meant.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Hi RebKean,

I’m nowhere near an expert in porting and creating wrappers, but I played the demo of your game with Porting Kit app. It’s like Wineskin, but it has ready-made ports for Steam games called Steambuild. I run your demo with it and it worked just fine. You just download the app for free, install Steambuild from the server and run the .exe file with it.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

RebKean - 01 February 2018 02:58 PM

Do you mean slick as in how it looks, or something else? If someone here has played The Birdwatcher for instance, on both PC and Mac, then you can compare them. It’s the same system as the one I’m talking about. I can’t check of course, but others might.

Slicker as in:
Better performance
More opportunity to match the UI, file handling and so on to the target machine
More stable because you’re not dependent on the third-party wrapper correctly emulating (and continuing to emulate correctly) the exact things you need it to do.

Yup, that’s what I meant. If the game’s built with a proprietary engine, it’s not just a question of porting your code - you’re dependent on the platform support offered by that engine. It sounds as though there’s a project to port the Wintermute runtime to Mac and iOS (so you could develop on Windows and release on all three), but it’s not free to use commercially and I’m not sure how complete the support is:
http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/wmelite:start

So it seems for now the recommended path to Mac is the one you’re looking at Smile

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Cheshire Cat - 02 February 2018 03:08 AM

Hi RebKean,

I’m nowhere near an expert in porting and creating wrappers, but I played the demo of your game with Porting Kit app. It’s like Wineskin, but it has ready-made ports for Steam games called Steambuild. I run your demo with it and it worked just fine. You just download the app for free, install Steambuild from the server and run the .exe file with it.

Hi. I saw that there are several programs out there, and something with Steam yes.
The reason for doing this is because even if it is “easy”, everyone will not know how, and I can’t explain it lol. So this way they can choose if the want to use another emulator, or use the one made for them.
But sure, this game is hardly demanding, so it probably works on different programs.

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

Phlebas - 02 February 2018 05:21 AM
RebKean - 01 February 2018 02:58 PM

Slicker as in:
Better performance
More opportunity to match the UI, file handling and so on to the target machine
More stable because you’re not dependent on the third-party wrapper correctly emulating (and continuing to emulate correctly) the exact things you need it to do.

Yup, that’s what I meant. If the game’s built with a proprietary engine, it’s not just a question of porting your code - you’re dependent on the platform support offered by that engine. It sounds as though there’s a project to port the Wintermute runtime to Mac and iOS (so you could develop on Windows and release on all three), but it’s not free to use commercially and I’m not sure how complete the support is:
http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/wmelite:start

So it seems for now the recommended path to Mac is the one you’re looking at Smile

Well, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has played The Birdwatcher on both computers. If there’s any visible difference I mean.
Anyway, things might change in the future. I would like to have a Mac, and then go from there.

Yeah, this seems to work for now. But always good with options. I had forgotten about that “lite”, thanks.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top