• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Previous third-person adventure I tried was Sanitarium, which I didn’t get very far into before quitting.  Voice acting on Sanitarium was sort of annoyingly bad and it took too long for my character to walk places.  Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for that game.

Now I’m playing The Black Mirror (the 2003 game, not the recent reboot).  So far I’m enjoying it.  Although I am already afraid that I missed something I was supposed to click on.  Important items seem to be hidden in very unimportant looking places in this game.  Although I guess that’s probably accurate to what it would actually be like trying to find something amongst the piles of books and other junk in an huge medieval castle.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For the PS4 only the Final Cut was released. It does play and look great.

I finished Dreamfall, so now I am playing The Silvercase, also on the PS4.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

russ869 - 11 January 2018 07:52 PM

Now I’m playing The Black Mirror (the 2003 game, not the recent reboot).  So far I’m enjoying it.  Although I am already afraid that I missed something I was supposed to click on.

Okay… apparently some items can only be picked up by right-clicking on them?  Even though there was absolutely no indication from the game that right-clicking did anything.  Was I supposed to read the game manual or something?

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m taking a break from Dark Train, since I’m stuck and have no idea what to do now (I think I’ve made it pretty far in the game, got several blueprints already, but now I’ve tried shuffling the wagons into every possible combination and none of them seems to light up anymore - I must be missing something elsewhere…).

Thanks to wilco, I’ve just started playing The Journey Down: Chapter 2, and I’m loving it! My memories of the first opus were faint yet good, and this one only reinforces my positive opinion on the series. Puzzles are logical and well-integrated into the storyline, characters are colourful and endearing, graphics are just stylized enough to match the unique vibe of the game, and the music emphasizes the immersion. And if it ends too abruptly, well, I’ll just have an extra reason to get the third instalment!  Laughing

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

I’d played it before but now playing the deluxe voiced version of Doc Apocalypse.  Pretty tough game, but quite a lot to like about it.  Best enjoyed if you like 50s style sci-fi!

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Titanic: Adventure out of Time. I’m not far in it yet and basically trying to familiarize myself with all the characters.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

russ869 - 12 January 2018 12:15 PM
russ869 - 11 January 2018 07:52 PM

Now I’m playing The Black Mirror (the 2003 game, not the recent reboot).  So far I’m enjoying it.  Although I am already afraid that I missed something I was supposed to click on.

Okay… apparently some items can only be picked up by right-clicking on them?  Even though there was absolutely no indication from the game that right-clicking did anything.  Was I supposed to read the game manual or something?

I never noticed that.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Ace Attorney 7 right now as a replay. A really great game that I like the 2nd time through just as much as the first time I played it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Just finished “doki doki literature club”.. its a stanley-parable-like “experience game” dressed as a VN. So saying much more about it would be spoilery. But it was pretty good.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 21 January 2018 11:59 AM

Just finished “doki doki literature club”.. its a stanley-parable-like “experience game” dressed as a VN. So saying much more about it would be spoilery. But it was pretty good.

How long is it? I spoiled myself some twists from the game but I’m curious and might try it

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 21 January 2018 01:30 PM
zane - 21 January 2018 11:59 AM

How long is it? I spoiled myself some twists from the game but I’m curious and might try it

Roughly 4 hours. I didnt know specific spoilers going in but i knew it was going to get “weird”. And the game keeps you guessing on when thats going to happen.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Currently playing The Adventures of Nick & Willikins.  It’s great, and it’s free!
https://pinheadgames.itch.io/nickwillikins

Perhaps not quite the Jeeves & Wooster dynamic I’d been hoping for, but still a lot of fun.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m playing various games made in 2017 from Adventure Game Studio’s database in order to post some informed nominations for the forthcoming AGS awards - most of the games are free, & the majority I’ve completed so far are very short but there are lots of interesting ideas within them nonetheless! If you’ve played Neofeud and/or Captain Disaster: Death Has a Million Stomping Boots & enjoyed either or both you can nominate them to be in the shortlist for voting over on AGS! Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

CaptainD - 22 January 2018 06:39 AM

Currently playing The Adventures of Nick & Willikins.  It’s great, and it’s free!
https://pinheadgames.itch.io/nickwillikins

Perhaps not quite the Jeeves & Wooster dynamic I’d been hoping for, but still a lot of fun.

I’ve been playing that too & have got stuck half-way through. There was quite a nice reference to Brain Hotel in that but otherwise the game’s not grabbing me too much but the graphics are very nice…..  Smile

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

tsa - 18 January 2018 11:00 AM
russ869 - 12 January 2018 12:15 PM

Now I’m playing The Black Mirror (the 2003 game, not the recent reboot).  Apparently some items can only be picked up by right-clicking on them?  Even though there was absolutely no indication from the game that right-clicking did anything.  Was I supposed to read the game manual or something?

I never noticed that.

More than half way through the game I think, but I kind of got fed up with it.  I’m either going to take a break and come back to it or just watch somebody else play the rest of it.  Three main things that take away from the fun factor:

1) Important items in very small, hard to find, unimportant looking places (a.k.a. “pixel hunting”).  This isn’t a bad thing by itself.  Most adventure games have some of this.  But it becomes much worse when combined with #2.

2) You can’t pickup any item until your character knows he needs it.  This is a huge pain because it results in a lot of backtracking.  In order to solve puzzles I can’t just look at what I have in my inventory.  I would basically have to keep notes of everything I ever saw in all the accessible areas and decide if going back to try to pick it up might advance the solution to the current puzzle.  And even that probably wouldn’t be enough, because there are some items that you can’t even look at (they aren’t a hotspot) before your character knows he needs it.  So that means there is no indication that a completely unimportant looking part of the background will become an object with which you can interact with later.

3) The game makes you wait arbitrary times for things to happen in the game world.  Sometimes you just have to wait a certain amount of time for an NPC to get back to you on some assignment you gave them, or for a kettle of water to biol, or something like that.  The problem is it doesn’t seem consistent in what you have to do.  Sometimes walking off screen and walking back is enough.  Sometimes you have to do this many times.  Sometimes I think you may actually have to leave the game running for a certain number of minutes (not sure).

These detractors from the fun of the gameplay are disappointing, because overall I really like the story and atmosphere.  It manages to capture the same mood of “occult murder mystery” coupled with “family ancestry mystery” that the first Gabriel Knight had.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top