• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New around here, want to run Gray Matter on a Mac

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-10-24

PM

Hey guys - long time adventure game fan here, I’ve loved Jane Jensen’s games since the first GK1 and was excited to find out about Gray Matter. Unfortunately I’m a Mac person, I’ve got a Macbook Pro from 2011 running Lion - I’m perfectly happy to buy things like Crossover Games if necessary but I was wondering if any Mac owners had had specific success with Gray Matter, and if so how they managed it? I’ve found the whole world of Wine etc. a bit of a head-scratcher if I’m honest…

Searched for advice on this in the forum and couldn’t find it so I hope this is a reasonable post. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Wink

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I have no experience with Macs, but I have an idea how to use google search and voila! Maybe that helps: http://www.paulthetall.com/page39/page105/page344/index.html

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-10-24

PM

Thanks for that - I’d found that website and had not had luck running it on other PC games on my Macbook (I’d tried Black Mirror for instance, from the original CD) so was hoping someone might have had success so I could buy the game with a bit more confidence.

Cheers for the thought anyway though…anyone out there who’s actually managed to run Gray Matter on a Mac? If so how did you do it?!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Honestly, just get a PC for games. Or at least install Windows through Boot Camp. I’ve tried Wine, CrossOver and such on my Macbook Pro, and persevered for a few months, and it’s really not worth the hassle. Some games will work, some games won’t, and even when they do it’ll often be an inferior experience, with low-quality graphics (lots of 3D features have to be disabled) and poor performance (playing The Whispered World through CrossOver with sluggish animations and horrible loading times has certainly contributed to my hatred of the game).

For DOS games, DOSBox/Boxer work great. And games that have an official Mac version work great, obviously. And that’s quite a lot of gaming. But playing Windows games through Wine/CrossOver just ruins the experience.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Kurufinwe - 25 October 2012 11:11 AM

Honestly, just get a PC for games. Or at least install Windows through Boot Camp. I’ve tried Wine, CrossOver and such on my Macbook Pro, and persevered for a few months, and it’s really not worth the hassle.

This. Really, playing adventure games is frustrating enough at times, so please don’t go the Wine or virtual machine way because that will give you only more frustration. Look around for a cheap OEM version of Windows 7 and install that with Boot Camp.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top