• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2017/2018 Sierra roulette playthrough

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sadly QFGV is the worst game in the series. They tried to turn it into more action oriented RPG and that didn’t really pay off that well.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Is this still ongoing? Don’t give up before you’ve played Codename: Iceman Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 31 May 2017 02:08 AM

Is this still ongoing? Don’t give up before you’ve played Codename: Iceman Smile

Unfortunately on hiatus due to lack of time… Hopefully resuming Quest for Glory sometime.
I high hopes for Codename: Iceman!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 31 May 2017 06:18 PM
Antrax - 31 May 2017 02:08 AM

Unfortunately on hiatus due to lack of time… Hopefully resuming Quest for Glory sometime.
I high hopes for Codename: Iceman!

LOL
he is just ‘pulling your legs’ into it..

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I gave up on Iceman when I got to the submarine simulation part. Imagine playing a simulator where you can’t press buttons with a mouse, but need to type in stuff like “pull rudder lever”

And for a copyright protection, you need to perform a CPR procedure at the beginning of the game just by following the commands as they are typed in the manual exactly.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Nooooo you’re ruining his experience. It’s like the Kaizo trap of adventure games, people have to experience it unprepared.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 01 June 2017 04:44 AM

I gave up on Iceman when I got to the submarine simulation part. Imagine playing a simulator where you can’t press buttons with a mouse, but need to type in stuff like “pull rudder lever”

i had to play this part twice due to a save game problem later on and what is more amazingly bitter than what you said is i never discovered how is was solved, lots of deaths and one time you get it right…
i had the original hintbook with brown pages and black writing (to avoid being printed) back then and that was for another puzzle at the diving section, i mean i had it after this submarine part (some sierra games had me years to finish them) and it also didnt make sense how this puzzle actually has to be solved, its just a hit a miss puzzle and lots of dying.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

New year, thread resurrection to play some more

Since last time I played Rise of the Dragon and now Shivers

Lovely cover

First-person slideshows are not really my thing but I enjoyed this one. Premise is pretty basic - player is dared and locked in a haunted museum, solve riddles, recover 9 pots and 9 lids to capture the Ixupi.
Exploring the museum itself is the good part - expositions dedicated to various themes (space, gods and monsters, fineral rites, tortures) with puzzle solving to travel around.
Soundtrack is pretty good and bold - Example

Puzzles are mostly fun but there are some annoying ones with difficulty all over the place. As soon as I saw peg solitaire I ran to look for a solution online Neutral
One of the problems is that the player can only hold one item at a time and since I wasn’t note taking where I was leaving stuff took me some time at the end to organize the pots and lids… Ixupi always changing places was a good idea but got old fast when I was running around up and down the stairs looking for them.

Ending is like the intro, extremely short and without any real story to it but still left with a positive impression.

Now to finally continue the playthrough, Quest for Glory will remain on hold for now until I have more free time ( Mini Frown ) and I’ll just jump around random games.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Loved this game, despite some of its flaws. Back in the days of CompuServe, when Sierra had its own sub-forum on the TEG (The Electronic Gamer) forum, this was a game that got a lot of discussion. I even a had a log book of people who entered the Museum and survived. (completed the game) Similar to the Myst “wall of fame” created by another forum participant.

There was one dead end in the game which can only be found by accident or by unfortunate circumstance. And it was a game where death was always a possibility. So the old mantra of “save early, save often,” was a wise thing to adhere to.

The one thing I disliked about the game was its artificial “scoring” system that implied that the more points you gathered, the better you were doing. The exact opposite was, in fact, the case. You could ride the elevator forever, racking up points without solving the puzzles that were required to finish the game. The real test was to finish the game with the fewest points.

One of the game’s designers, Willie Eide, unabashedly admitted the game was a Myst clone, as were Shivers2 and Lighthouse. It remains one of my favorite Sierra games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 13 January 2018 09:01 PM

There was one dead end in the game which can only be found by accident or by unfortunate circumstance. And it was a game where death was always a possibility. So the old mantra of “save early, save often,” was a wise thing to adhere to.

What is the dead end? Can’t place where ir could be.
The “health bar” was ok, deaths were not frustrating since I kept saving and it got easy to predict where Ixupi could be, and it added to the tension having a penalty.
I wasn’t noticing the score bar, think it was a staple of Sierra, so it’s there. The endless elevator puzzle does break it.

One of the game’s designers, Willie Eide, unabashedly admitted the game was a Myst clone, as were Shivers2 and Lighthouse. It remains one of my favorite Sierra games.

While reading on the games saw this at the Lighthouse wikipedia page

The game was conceived expressly as a “Myst clone”; lead designer Jon Bock later recalled that ‘Ken Williams called me into his office one day, pulled out a copy of Myst and said; “Can you do this?” I said yes, and the game went into development

Couldn’t be more direct but not the best way to start a game development.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

IMO Shivers2 sucked; the soundtracks that meant to work as Hint.Sys went too far for me to disgust, tho tracks alone stands good.

I think Rama is the best 1st person game Sierra gave (not talk about the MH era) then Shivers and LightHouse…

——————

The later LightHouse, has a very good story, Strphen King’s Style, but its more frustrating than any 3rd person adventure Sierra released, Quirky Controls, Sensitive hotspots (imagine pixel hunting at Riven). tho people claimed it had a dead end back then, about that case of the Submarine puzzle (IF i remember correctly) there was another solution around it.

at last, if you were going to a Myst clone, then do a Myst clone, don’t tire me with VERY difficult inventory* puzzles, and Pixel Hunting or forget at many moments were this a is Myst Clone or Riven’s, and don’t mix two-three sub-genres together Fantasy, SciFi, inside a Folklore atmosphere.

like many times before said ‘great potential wasn’t handled well’  Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Shivers was more similar to 7th Guest than myst

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 14 January 2018 09:06 AM

I think Rama is the best 1st person game Sierra gave (not talk about the MH era) then Shivers and LightHouse…

There’s not much talk about Rama in here but I remember reading good things about it.

Lighthouse I played part of it many years ago, unfortunately the second CD didn’t work so I never progressed that much.

cyfoyjvx - 14 January 2018 09:41 AM

Shivers was more similar to 7th Guest than myst

A mix of the 2, no? It has logic puzzles like 7th guest but exploration like Myst. (but not sure, never player much of 7th guest)

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 14 January 2018 08:31 AM

What is the dead end? Can’t place where ir could be. The “health bar” was ok, deaths were not frustrating since I kept saving and it got easy to predict where Ixupi could be, and it added to the tension having a penalty. I wasn’t noticing the score bar, think it was a staple of Sierra, so it’s there. The endless elevator puzzle does break it.

I don’t remember the exact game mechanics, but the dead end is on the second floor. You go down a hallway, and there is a pile of lumber in the hallway. (It one of the several “wood” Ixupi hiding places.) You go past the lumber pile. There is a slider-type puzzle you have to solve on the left wall, and there is a fortune-teller puzzle in a room just past the slider puzzle. The problem is that there is no exit from this area except to go back to the lumber pile. In my instance the wood Ixupi inhabited the pile after I went past it the first time, and I had the wrong pot part and the Ixupi would neither move or let me pass. And, since there was no other exit, the only two choices are to quit the game and lose your progress or commit suicide-by-Ixupi, which also causes all
progress to be lost. Just hope you have a recent save. I didn’t.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 14 January 2018 10:13 AM
Advie - 14 January 2018 09:06 AM

There’s not much talk about Rama in here but I remember reading good things about it.

I thought about giving Rama a try when it got supported by ScummVM. However, I read up on it a little bit, and it turns out that the last quarter or so of the game is huge timed sequence: you have three hours or so to complete it, and have to redo the whole thing if you run out of time. Fuck that; life’s too short for this sort of punishing design.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top