• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

nomadsoul - 02 January 2018 02:42 AM

Tech was holding it back, it was really made for ps4

lol

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 02 January 2018 04:48 PM
nomadsoul - 02 January 2018 02:42 AM

village was holding it back, it was really made for ps4

lol

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2017-12-18

PM

Last game I finished was Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I’m getting close to finishing Layton Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Darksiders 2 - Deathinitive version

Game was free on the PSN Plus december lineup so was a great bargain for 30+ hours of gameplay.

I remember liking the original when I played it back in 2012 and well deserved it’s rep of being Zelda for adults.

The sequel continues the Zelda vibe with God of War type combat. It switches the main character to Death trying to correct what War did in the first game, clear his name and restore humanity.

Pros

* Combat is fun. basic strong and light attacks initially seems simple, but with a skill tree and purchasing combos it can get quite deep at times. In the heat of battle though you tend to forget all but your favourite moves and stick with them. The Teleport Slash is very good esp towards the end.

* Dungeons are tricky and full of puzzles that ramp up as get further into the game. I thought at times it got a bit too crowded with abilities with portals, time shifting, soul splitting etc making the dungeons convoluted, but challenging in a good way.

* Boss battles. Nice to see boss battles and certainly there are a couple towards the end that are a pain in the arse to beat.

* Lots of side missions and fetch quests to complete.

* Loot. There are a lot of weapons and armour etc to buy of find from drops in the environment making for a lot of customisation. There maybe too many items to upgrade (2 weapons and 6 armour points) and too many stats on each item to make evaluating new items a fun process, but they are colour coded. Spending 20 mins trying to see if these boots with this shoulder item and this necklace makes me crit better is not fun.

Cons

* At 30+ hours with only 6 of it being combat there is a lot of downtime for the puzzles (good) or just running/riding around large empty areas between dungeons (bad). Pointless filler most of the time. The fast travel option was a blessing.

* While it played with the multi realm theme of Zelda it didn’t so much with it. After leaving the Forge area there was little reason to hop back and forward.

* There is a weapon upgrade option ?? Didn’t see this until I was about 20 hours in and it seemed useless.

* Earth Level - tries to turn the game into a third person shooter, but fails miserably. The camera and controls were not built for it and the rocket launcher gun was so OP that it made the level super easy without really getting injured.

Overall I enjoyed the game just as much as the first one. Technically it ran ok with a bit of slow down here and there and loading screens being a tad long, but overall it seemed like a nice graphical upgrade.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

PYRE

From the get go, game continues to surprise you with originality
Its nothing like Supergiant previous efforts, far more ambitious here

Best aspect is Music, its just incredible, melodious and dynamic
Art is beautiful and smooth, though some of the character artworks are limited in expression
Game has plenty of text, its doesnt feel like Indie job at times

Gameplay pits 2 teams in a Rites/Match, in which you have to steal ball and drop it into enemy goal(Pyre)
You meet new characters like JRPG , you buff them up with new moves, how they playout in field is dictated by your skill selection, mostly magical in nature and very fast realtime strategy
AI in later end of game can get really aggressive and forces you to use all of your knowledge

It builds up lore and story and then surprises you with hard narrative choices, which requires sacrifice, changing gameplay and paths

Some twists and revelations take you by surprise in well coherent plot

Cannot explain the feeling as its completely fresh and unique, but after finishing it i was really flabbergasted by the overall experience

Super intense matches, magical presentation and hard choices

10/10

Echo, Pyre most original games this gen and my top 2 fav Indies

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Have been wanting to try Pyre for a whil. But heard story can drastically change based on choices you make. Usually don’t like branching story-lines in JRPG’s because it demands multiple playthroughs to explore the content. Do the choices affect the story in a big way or you think further down the path the changes become less significant Telltale style?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Origami - 06 January 2018 11:46 PM

Have been wanting to try Pyre for a whil. But heard story can drastically change based on choices you make. Usually don’t like branching story-lines in JRPG’s because it demands multiple playthroughs to explore the content. Do the choices affect the story in a big way or you think further down the path the changes become less significant Telltale style?

Just to set your expectations, Pyre is very far from a JRPG. It is more like a handball game, with gameplay similar to an arcade sports game like NBA Jam than it is to a JRPG. I found the gameplay shallow and boring to be frank, but lots of people love it so depends on your preference.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

SoccerDude28 - 07 January 2018 01:03 AM

Just to set your expectations, Pyre is very far from a JRPG. It is more like a handball game, with gameplay similar to an arcade sports game like NBA Jam than it is to a JRPG. I found the gameplay shallow and boring to be frank, but lots of people love it so depends on your preference.

And regarding my question?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Do the choices affect the story in a big way or you think further down the path the changes become less significant Telltale style?

Big way , more would spoil and then can trigger you for another decade of potshots on nomad
There is Main arc and personal arc, the journey will get affected
There this one thing i didnt expect and i thought its for better, made me paid the price so i have to give it another run another time

I found the gameplay shallow and boring to be frank, but lots of people love it so depends on your preference

When i was playing late rites, my cousins and bro said its as intense as watching any sports match, first few hrs are just tutorials and when stakes get high with your powers and story, enemies getting tough , shit hits the fan fast

The draw is if you loose, you pay the price and thats why you cannot afford to loose
I lost only one match (and thats because of kick ass twist), you can load game immediately but i wanted to stick to consequences for my first run

Just to set your expectations, Pyre is very far from a JRPG

Its hybrid, but party gathering has JRPG vibes

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Replaying Ocarina of Time on 3DS. Game really holds up wel and doesn’t rely on nostalgia at all. Might go as far as to say that I enjoy it now as an adult more than when I beat it as a kid. Pacing, level designs, dialogue and atmosphere are much more appreciated now.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 10 January 2018 01:40 AM

Replaying Ocarina of Time on 3DS. Game really holds up wel and doesn’t rely on nostalgia at all. Might go as far as to say that I enjoy it now as an adult more than when I beat it as a kid. Pacing, level designs, dialogue and atmosphere are much more appreciated now.

Do you think combat holds up well ...

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Is this the same game on N 64, or did they change anything?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

SoccerDude28 - 12 January 2018 01:46 AM

Is this the same game on N 64, or did they change anything?

More or less the same gams. They have updated some models and textures though(Link looks different and Master Sword looks more detailed). Most notable changes are when you enter stores and houses. They are much more detailed and furnitured. The game also includes Second Quest.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Borderlands 2

I finally got to finish Borderlands 2 after playing half way through before and quitting, and I love it.

The game is a really unique FPS/RPG hybrid that you don’t see too much in games. I am surprised not more companies copy the formula. I believe Hellgate London pioneered it back in 2007 and it wasn’t very good, and Destiny is probably the most successful successor to use this formula. Just like in an action RPG like Diablo, you gain experience by killing enemies and finishing quests, and when you gain enough XP your character will level up. You also collect lots of loot in the form of unique weapons with various different stats and elemental abilities. The number of combinations that are possible for the different types of weapons you can get is limitless, so in every playthrough, you will acquire and love and probably sell lots of unique weapons.

Borderlands 2 is very addictive and you can see yourself sinking hours in the fun game loop of [do quest, fight enemies, gain XP, level up, collect/sell loot] . The story is surprisingly well flushed out, and the world is full with bigger than life characters, which is probably why Telltale decided to make an adventure in its universe. You will really care for all the characters you encounter, and really hate the main villain Handsome Jack as you play the game. One thing I wasn’t expecting was how funny it is. I won’t say much so that I won’t spoil the fun, but lots of quests and scenarios you encounter will elicit a chuckle.

My only complaint is that due to the fact that there are 4 different characters each with 3 different branching skill trees, and literally millions of possible weapon combinations, sometimes the game can feel unbalanced. Like I was playing as a Siren, and one of the skills I acquired made my playthrough super easy. I was just cruising through the quests, and without the challenge I wasn’t having as much fun. The good news is that for a fee, you can go back and respec your character. That’s precisely what I did, and it brought back the challenge and fun I was having before.

Also I hear that this game is super fun to play with friends. I played it by myself and had tons of fun, but I heard playing it in co-op is even better.

Overall, I truly loved Borderlands 2, and can’t wait for Gearbox to announce the new one (this year hopefully Tongue).

10/10

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 13 January 2018 02:44 AM

10/10

Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top