• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My 2017, adventurewise :)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played a lot of adventure games this year. The main reason is that so many were short: 2-4 hours of gameplay, that’s one evening. 

Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes
The two games I liked best are Stories Untold  and Gorogoa. Totally different, but both creative and innovative.

Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss
Xing – Great Mystian game. Loved the day/night/weather puzzles and the atmosphere.
Orwell – Interesting concept, played twice, looking forward to the sequel.

Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool
What Remains of Edith Finch – Excellent storytelling, but I suck at QTEs; found them annoying and distracting
The St Christopher’s School Lockdown – I don’t understand why it’s such an obscure 3rd-person title. Beautiful art style, strong story, good classic puzzles. No real gamestoppers but too buggy.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Thimbleweed Park – Expected more from Ron Gilbert.
The Next Big Thing – I was surprised I liked a Pendulo game so much. Bizar in a good way.
Carol Reed: Profound Red – For me the best game of the series so far.
Dream Machine – It certainly had its moments, I liked the surreal style, but ultimately a bit too weird and cruel -
Oxenfree – I’m too old for those teenager conversations, didn’t find it scary at all, but I had fun and that’s what counts.
Firewatch – Atmosphere good, excellent voiceacting (too bad I kept seeing the male voiceactor’s Mad Men face every time Henry opened his mouth), annoying female character, ending disappointing after all the suspense.
The Inner World: The Last Wind Monk – Puzzles a little too difficult for me. Can’t really put my finger on it, but I liked the first one better.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Tales of the Borderlands – I wanted to love this game, I really did. Story too predictable (everybody betrays everybody), too much action.
Leaves: The Journey and its sequel The Return – Very easy puzzle games, but great art style.
Tacoma – I didn’t feel involved or interested in any of the characters. People who have been forced to live together for a year don’t talk like that. Contrived, I don’t know.
Kathy Rain – Okay game, strong indie vibes and I don’t mean that in a good way, puzzles so-so.

Meh  Meh  Meh  Meh  Meh
Painscreek Killings – Surpised I finished it, so it must have done something right.
Virginia – Not a clue what this is about. I should replay it to find out, but don’t feel like it.
Darkside Detective – Not my kind of humor. It made me smile once or twice though.
Rise of the Dragon – Lovely graphics, didn’t like the few puzzles and the action bits.

Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry
Silence – Gets the Disappointment of the Year Award. Man, that was a pretty awful sequel. Sentimental, clichés, no humor, annoying QTEs.
Heart of China – Nice graphics, tries to tell a story and fails.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Text Adventures:
Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way (8) – Christminster (3) -  Little Blue Men (8) – Lock&Key; (7) – Shadow in the Cathedral (6) – Rematch (6) 

Replay:
Day of the Tentacle (remastered) – still a fantastic game
Her Story – loved it again, can’t make up my mind what really happened
The Colonel’s Bequest – doesn’t stand the test of time, eavesdropping is nice though
Safecracker Two  – fun, easier than I remembered

Unfinished:
Fran Bow – depressing, sad, and generally unpleasant
Experience 112 – technical difficulties and cumbersome gameplay

Backlog:
The Sexy BrutaleLife is StrangeDreamfall Chapters (!!) – Gateway Remake

And how was your 2017?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This was a year of change for me, as I moved over to the iPad from the VITA as my main system to play adventure games on. I played about 22 adventures this year with Shardlight, Kathy Rain, Technobabylon and Fran Bow being the standout games.

Overall, I was very pleased with the year - lots of great releases.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Karlok - 21 December 2017 12:37 PM

What Remains of Edith Finch – Excellent storytelling, but I suck at QTEs; found them annoying and distracting

I hate QTEs myself, but I genuinely can’t remember a single QTE in Edith Finch.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

badlemon - 21 December 2017 03:05 PM

I hate QTEs myself, but I genuinely can’t remember a single QTE in Edith Finch.

You’re right, I shouldn’t have called them QTEs. The sequences which require the eye-hand coordination I don’t have, like catching rabbits, doing crazy stuff with kites, bouncing a frog up, down, every which way. I’m sure many players enjoy them, but I find them annoying and unimmersive as hell.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The Next Big Thing – I was surprised I liked a Pendulo game so much. Bizar in a good way.

Played this several years ago and was also pleasantly surprised. Should be given more cred than it has recieved.

Fran Bow – depressing, sad, and generally unpleasant.

Loved this game, possibly for the reasons you disliked it.

Of the games I finished in 2017 INFRA and Ether One stands out as unforgettable experiences.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The Sexy Brutale has remained my top game, as I suspected.

XING, Stories Untold and Night in the Woods were all worthy runners up.

Too many games with good concepts but which ultimately fell short of greatness: Bear With Me, Edith Finch, Doctor Dekker and House of Da Vinci.

A very good year for comedy with Paradigm, Four Last Things, The Last Wind Monk, Thaumistry and Darkside Detective, and Thimbleweed Park Tongue

I still need to play Observer and Gorogoa.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not a very productive year in games for some different reasons but still managed to play a few.
Sierra playthrough hit a stand still at the middle of the year but had some fun with a couple of classics like Manhunter, Urban Runner, GK3, Police Quest. Other mostly tedious Willy Beamish Shifty Eyed  and Phantasmagoria 2. Hopefully in 2018 I’ll manage to play more.

Recent games, like Oscar said, some good comedy games like Darkside Detective, Paradigm and Thimbleweed Park.
Other year favorites include What Remains of Edith Finch, Night in the Woods, The Sexy Brutale and the recent Gorogoa.

Disappointment was the predictable Tacoma and Telltale games.

Grim Fandango was my replay highlight

Backlog is immense but want to play Tokyo Dark, Xing and Four Last Things soon

More people need to play Night in the Woods

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Observer - AG Gameoftheyear for me, great production , have bias for Cpunk and they went in different direction not typical stuff, great OST, investigation gameplay is fun

Edith Finch - Hit me hard, makes you question life/spirituality on meta level, set new precedent for narrative sims

Detention - Very very emotional and original story about corruption, karma, life cycle
Great OST and bold presentation , highly recommended for PnC fans, you are missing out

Dreamfall Chapters ps4 - I was fool to trust Ragnar(again), ps4 ver is hardly improvement from original PC ver, yes framerate is better(still jitters) but some Ultra64 textures are super bad, bad pacing and damn shitbot glitched/disappeared breaking my game and i guess i have wasted my 7$, i might not try it again from the start as running around is already a torture

Last Day of June - Great stuff, like them art theater puppet show with deep themes and message

DRonpav3 - its a trippy trip full of crazy ness and decent closure to current arc

Bound - Artistic, creative and effective, great message

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Agree that Edith Finch,Observer,Detention and my fav Four Last Things was 4 can’t-miss titles of the year.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I agree silence was a disappointment, but its largely in light of the first game and what daedalics done in the past. Completely on its own it would be an ok-ish game.
If its any consolation on fran bow: it does make a shift later in the game from disturbing to more bizarre/surreal… but if youre not enjoying it at all its probably not worth it to continue.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Well I played very little this year unfortunately. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, Minecraft: Story Mode—Season 2 (Ep 1-4, haven’t gotten to Ep 5 yet) and the first part of Herald are really all I finished.  I also started playing Pillars of the Earth and Code 7. Looking forward to how those turn out.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It turns out that I’ve played more games this year than I thought & I know I’ve missed a few!:

Kathy Rain
Fran Bow
Paradigm
St Christopher’s School Lockdown
Anna’s Quest
The Samaritan Paradox
A Golden Wake
Silent Footsteps
Neofeud
Technobabylon
Shardlight
Demetrios
Little Kite
Slap Village
Profound Red
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief
Thimbleweed Park
Tales
The Journey of Lesir
Fun, Sun & Mishaps
Sidekick High
Sol705
Guardians of Gold
Fallen Soldier
The Man from Fugue State
Toffee Trouble in Creamville

I loved ALL of these games but if I have to pick a favourite it is St Christopher’s School Lockdown despite it having so many issues, followed by Kathy Rain, The Raven, Tales, Neofeud, Technobabylon, Guardians of Gold & A Golden Wake!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

who did spread the smilies much repetitive foolishness as in FB here at these mature forums

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 22 December 2017 11:15 AM

who did spread the smilies much repetitive foolishness as in FB here at these mature forums

Not sure what you mean by that Advie & I sure hope that you are not being mean!

I liked the fun way that Karlok presented the thread with the number of, & kind of smilies along with a short description to indicate her thoughts on games she’s played throughout the year. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 22 December 2017 02:24 PM
Advie - 22 December 2017 11:15 AM

Not sure what you mean by that Advie & I sure hope that you are not being mean!

uh, your are always my weakness point chrissie, so…  i m sorry if this post is inappropriate in your view.
but i never got the idea of a full line of the same smilies or the repetitive of them in general.
i see this on FB all the time, and i can tell that none of my friends there do it, it always comes from other i know not of.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top