• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #45: Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Welcome to the Community Playthrough of Thaumistry. Cool

The best introduction to Thaumistry and its bodgers is the original Kickstarter video, with a cameo appearance by the one and only Steve Meretzky.  They later edited the video for Steam, but I prefer the original one with Bob Bates in it. You can see the Kickstarter video here:
https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2622255/video-743760-h264_high.mp4
And the Steam version here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/532980/Thaumistry_In_Charms_Way/

Now that you have a vague idea what a bodger is, it’s imperative that you take the following test.

If you answered “yes” to 3 or more questions, you may be a bodger. Let’s find out!
If you answered “yes” to 0, 1 or 2 questions, take the test again.

Thaumistry is of course available on the developer’s site.  http://www.thaumistry.com
And on Steam. Don’t forget to download the Cyberfeelies, including the tips on what to do when you suspect you are a bodger. Innocent

We’ll start playing as soon as every wannabe-bodger has bought and installed the game.  Please post here when you’re ready to go. 

PS: I answered “yes” to seven questions. Smile And you?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yes to 11 questions - I’m definitely a potential bodger. Smile

I have my copy installed on a bubble-wrapped, tin-foil covered computer. It may be difficult to type wearing these oversized rubber gloves!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ready to go, got the game from the developer’s site from backing it.
Answered 6 yes but the plumber one might be approaching yes in few more months of plumbing problems…

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m ready to play, as long as things don’t go wro…...........................................

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m ready to go, but I’m waiting on my pair of ButtShield Fireproof Underwear to come in before I dare boot up the game.

Better safe than sorry… Smile

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Installed and ready to go here!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s a real high score, cyfo. Very sensible of you to take all these precautions! I hope you don’t mind me calling you cyfo. I’ve already forgotten the last 4 letters of your name.  Shifty Eyed

Okay, bodgers and bodgeresses (or is it bodgerettes… bodgerines…?), let’s go for it! You won’t need long for the first and easiest part. You’ll meet one person in this “introduction” and we stop playing when you get out of an elevator after he leaves you.

If you have never played a text adventure before, type HELP and then INSTRUCTIONS. It’s a long read but definitely worth it.

A few days should be enough. We’ll start the next part on Wednesday. Or sooner if everybody has finished.

Please use spoiler tags when necessary.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is my very first text adventure, so I will be checking out those instructions first thing.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve reached the elevator.
Good start, first part works as a tutorial to ease you in and after that the exposition. The input commands so far very good and helpful.
Likes the bodgers through history rooms. Disappointed we didn’t get to keep the penguin spell Smile

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 December 2017 03:55 PM

This is my very first text adventure, so I will be checking out those instructions first thing.

WHAT?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

diego - 10 December 2017 04:10 PM

WHAT?

I own two but haven’t gotten around to them yet.  I figured a playthrough would be the best way to help me get started on the IF road.  Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

From what I have played so far, I would say it’s definitely a good place to start. The interface is really nice with the map and room exit features, and I have noticed the parser is more forgiving - I mistyped a few nouns and the game still understood me every time!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Enjoyable so far, but I can’t help but notice I’m 1/5 of the way through the game after around half an hour. I was hoping it would be a lengthier game for the price.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Oscar - 12 December 2017 08:17 PM

Enjoyable so far, but I can’t help but notice I’m 1/5 of the way through the game after around half an hour. I was hoping it would be a lengthier game for the price.

It could just be the puzzles are easier at the start. They normally are.

I’ve finished the first section and ready to move on.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 12 December 2017 11:45 PM
Oscar - 12 December 2017 08:17 PM

It could just be the puzzles are easier at the start. They normally are.

Yes, this was just the introduction, the puzzles get harder. But overall it’s an easy game. I needed hints only once, I think. 

I’ve finished the first section and ready to move on.

I’d like to wait for LadyKestrel to clock in and tell us how she’s doing with her very first text adventure. I’ll post our next stop tonight.

Meanwhile…
How did you like the first part and the historical references? I’d of course heard of the Great New York blackout, but the rest was new to me. I hope everybody asked Jack about them, cause if you don’t you’ll miss the 5 footnotes.

Other stuff I tried: eat/get nuggets, eat/get crumbs, sleep, cry, ask Jack about Bob Bates, tear up letter. I also looked at all the portraits and it goes without saying that you should ask Jack about all the spells and try to cast them on everyone and everything.  Cool

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just went through all the instructions and made notes for myself, but I haven’t done much yet except look.  If everyone else is ready to move on, please go ahead.  I should get caught up with the first section by tomorrow night.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top