• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are indies kinda resurrecting AG or killing it?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

look at it this way, if you are big dev willing to spend millions on an AG and you look at the scene you find small (sometimes tiny small) AGs are being the bread and butter of the genre now, praised, awarded and getting the highest score, would you think then of one reason that can make you spend more than all those acclaimed ?

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Resurrecting it. Money doesn’t guarantee good game, we are doing great without millions of the creatively bankrupt “big devs”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say most of the time indies aren’t doing very much for adventure games as a whole, as they are mostly interested in keeping the status quo of the point in time they feel was the best for the genre, hence churning out relatively uninspired games.

I know a lot of indie devs like to bark at AAA publishers for playing it safe with carbon copy their CODS and Assassins Creeds, but it’s not like they themselves are that more willing to do much else than copying past glories of other people.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

tomimt - 03 December 2017 10:11 AM

I’d say most of the time indies aren’t doing very much for adventure games as a whole, as they are mostly interested in keeping the status quo of the point in time they feel was the best for the genre, hence churning out relatively uninspired games.

I know a lot of indie devs like to bark at AAA publishers for playing it safe with carbon copy their CODS and Assassins Creeds, but it’s not like they themselves are that more willing to do much else than copying past glories of other people.

I think this is a little harsh. Indie developers are doing their best to move the genre forward. Some examples:

What Remains of Edith Finch: Cinematic style vignettes with perspective shifts, with wildly varying styles of presentation and gameplay within the game
The Witness: First “open world” adventure game
The Dream Machine: Incredibly detailed artistic design made from real materials and photographed
Hadean Lands: Introduces an information based economy where it is necessary to reach fail-states to learn and thus progress
Lone Echo: Gameplay centered around VR
The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker: Gameplay consists entirely of questions devised by the player

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

cyfoyjvx - 03 December 2017 10:34 AM

I think this is a little harsh. Indie developers are doing their best to move the genre forward. Some examples:

What Remains of Edith Finch: Cinematic style vignettes with perspective shifts, with wildly varying styles of presentation and gameplay within the game
The Dream Machine: Incredibly detailed artistic design made from real materials and photographed
Hadean Lands: Introduces an information based economy where it is necessary to reach fail-states to learn and thus progress
Lone Echo: Gameplay centered around VR
The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker: Gameplay consists entirely of questions devised by the player

I’d like to add the following games:
Stories Untold - Orwell - Oxenfree - Sexy Brutale - Her Story - Kentucky Route Zero -maybe Tacoma/Gone Home as well.

PS: Not sure I’d call The Witness an indie game…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Advie - 03 December 2017 09:22 AM

...if you are big dev willing to spend millions on an AG…

What?
Where?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

No no no. If it wasnt for the indie’s that gain media recognition, bigger companies wouldnt give the genre a second look. The idea that a big company sees a succesful indie and says “well, its not worth us trying to make money off a concept thats generating success, they did this too well” is very very silly.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you ve probably all mostly all have forgotten the tons of adventures which costed millions and their devs, where are they now; what direction they have taken now or what did the millions they were funded with and how denied they were nuthing but a tight budget, plus all the games been mentioned trying to prove how indies are big enough have little adventures at them (mostly) ..
thats all, i am not clarifying anything more

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

cyfoyjvx - 03 December 2017 10:34 AM

Much as I loved The Witness, I think “Adventure” probably got there first Smile

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

similar discussion - https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8911/

Frankly, I don’t see the counterpoints here.

1. AAA market is light years away from the AG market. Besides Quantic Dream and some studios that are adopting key adventure elements (which is pushing the genre in completely different direction. But I don’t mind it at all. They just invented a new thing.) there are no big guys with big pockets looking in that direction at all. Just some small studios, which are relatively all indie.

2. The real indies in the genre (one-man armies or slightly bigger) are just fulfilling their creative vision. They are not following a market, just their personal passion. Some of them get attention out of the blue (the last night which started as a simple gamejam sketch grew out to be the hit of the last E3). This doesn’t resurrect the genre. Nor kills it. It just evolves it into something else. Natural selection made traditional ags a niche and that’t what they are going to be from now on. We would continue to have small occasional back-to-the-roots classics (Thimbleweed Park). But I don’t mind to see a bold game that tries to push things forward instead of push things backwards.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

badlemon - 04 December 2017 05:50 AM

But I don’t mind to see a bald game that tries to push things forward instead of push things backwards.

Wink

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

similar discussion - https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8911/

sorry Oscar, i wasnt sure that a similar thread came along at all, tho i had my comments there, you know my memory i am just one sec better than fish Tongue

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Oscar - 04 December 2017 06:01 AM

But I don’t mind to see a bald game that tries to push things forward instead of push things backwards.

Wink

Lol, my bad Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 03 December 2017 05:20 PM

No no no. If it wasnt for the indie’s that gain media recognition, bigger companies wouldnt give the genre a second look

Big companies gave David cage a chance with Fahrenheit and then HeavyRain which inspired TWD and games with similar setup, it was Cage’s first move, made it big budget with the help of big company and made it bankable concept in current era

TTG, LiS etc followed not other way around

LiS is backed by SEnix , big company
Same for examples of Giantsparrow games and their quality
Same for MS pushing JoBlow as brand and face of Indie gaming who made Braid and then Witness, both games pushed heavily by MS and Sony respectively

And infact same in the case of Activision reviving Sierra with KQ being decent AA production

IIRC rest was all KS affair and mostly for oldschool ver of AG not the modern one

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^you misunderstood me completely. Im not saying big studios never make adventures on their own. Pointless to debate what influences lead them down that road in specific cases. Im saying if anything big studios make adventures because of the success smaller titles have and not the other way around as the main topic suggests… the idea they would avoid it because a smaller studio did it “too well”.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zane - 04 December 2017 03:43 PM

Im saying if anything big studios make adventures because of the success smaller titles have and not the other way around as the main topic suggests… the idea they would avoid it because a smaller studio did it “too well”.

good point.
but if true then the big studio would give logically the same quality and output as a side small project studio .
(we have seen Mircoiods gives low profile games never reflect Mircoiods capability we know about it… small projects on the side and other devs ass well)

or 2nd option devs will give AA adventures amateur(ly) with too many flows of in-creativity to apply a good interface to this tech .. thing !

(i always think of people like Gilbert or cage or kempki and what would they ve made something magnificent with tech like that. lol

i just wanted to say that adventure gaming as we know it will always be found as we know it, we play adventure as we are still buying adventures out the mid 90s..  i dont mind ‘ha’ playing AGs from the golden age all the time! 
i just wanted to state that everything is changing even the new Wadjet Eye adventure will hold RPG playing, small studio of adventure gaming is actually a sophisticated developing niche. and it is just alright!.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top