• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is there an adventure game type you haven’t given a chance? And why not?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I am sure most of us have a style of adventure game we have not really given a fair chance to. Maybe we did not like something about that style, how it looks to us or we have preconceptions about it. Text adventure, Myst clone, casual game or silly cartoonish graphics? Or something else?

Maybe we can learn from each other in this thread about why we should give such games a chance, and to broaden our tastes.

For myself, I have not played any Japanese titles like Danganronpa. The reason is mostly that I do not have a handheld device like Nintendo DS (I know many of these games are also on PC now), but also because I have trouble with the graphic style which to my eyes looks inconsistent and too whimsical. I am also scared of too much weird horror.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Continuing the Japanese theme, dating sims don’t really appeal to me - both the content and the type of interactivity involved are just not what I’m looking for in a game. I do plan on giving Hatoful Boyfriend a try sometime though.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hidden object games, i find it tiring to pixel hunt a screen and narrative/story mostly mundane for my taste, never found any good HO game with gripping plot

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Luhr28 - 12 November 2017 06:27 PM

For myself, I have not played any Japanese titles like Danganronpa. The reason is mostly that I do not have a handheld device like Nintendo DS (I know many of these games are also on PC now), but also because I have trouble with the graphic style which to my eyes looks inconsistent and too whimsical. I am also scared of too much weird horror.

Even if i gave the chance,cant stand japanese games with absurd physics and ridiculous scripts anymore.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

first person games.I have never been able to take to them at all.No matter how good a review a game gets the first thing I do is look to see if its a first person game and if so I instantly dismiss it.I tried a few many years ago and hate the style of navigation.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2016-10-04

PM

I’ve really been wanting to try different types lately - the retro pixel types are my go-to. But I’d like to try Syberia when I have a chance, it always looked cool to me. The most recent one I checked out was the remastered version of The Last Express, I never played it back in the day, but it definitely holds up!

Just dreaming out loud: TWITTERA NEAR DAWNPUT A SOCK IN IT!GHOSTS ARE GOOD HOSTS

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I really hate real-time mechanics, to the point The Last Express has been sitting untouched in my collection for ~2 years. It’s just too stressful for me, I want to try things out at my own pace.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Nice thread. Hope people don’t regard it as a “let’s hate” topic. It could actually become quite constructive.

I’m almost scared of the amount of subgenres I somehow avoid to play. Maybe this will be the thread that will convince me to face some of my fears Smile

Most of mine are already mentioned (and I do admit that most of my speculations are wrong due to lack of experience. you’re more than welcome to prove me wrong).

- jAGs - I don’t have a handheld nintendo. And I have the feeling that most of them lack exploration. All I see are dialogue puzzles. (On the other hand I love Manga and Anime and will gladly play some of the oldies like Snatcher).

- Myst Clones - I find something dreadfully static and sterile in those games. All puzzles and no story makes jack a sad boy. I do enjoy first person games, though, if they involve character interaction and good storytelling, that is. But I don’t regard those as myst clones.

- Hidden Object Games - Cannot add anything here. They just don’t make me sink into the story and the interactive experience. That’s why I don’t like casual games, either.

- Mini-games - That’s another thing that kills the whole experience for me. Even if it’s just one-or-two mini games there. They make me lose the immersion. Layton, I’m looking at you.

- Text Adventures - Actually I would love to play a text adventure. I’ve already have one in mind. The only thing is that it would be inconvenient to play it on a monitor so I’m thinking about playing on a tablet.

- Old-school Sierra games with lots of dead-ends - Don’t kill me Advie, but for someone who hadn’t played those back then, it’s really hard to dig them (pre-GK1-KQ6 era that is).

- Horrors - I like to play a horror game every now and then. I just don’t regard them as adventure games, with all these hide-n-seek elements. More like Silent Hill (which is pretty cool) without weapons. I know that there are titles which offer more adventure type of puzzles. I would like to hear some suggestions for a horror game that leans more on puzzles, story and exploration rather than hiding from the big monster. I’m thinking about giving SOMA a try.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t yet played any text adventures, although I own both 1893: A World’s Fair Mystery and Future Boy.  It’s not that I wouldn’t like to play them, but other games always seem to nudge them aside in my to-be-played pile.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

badlemon - 14 November 2017 09:36 AM

Nice thread. Hope people don’t regard it as a “let’s hate” topic. It could actually become quite constructive.

I’m almost scared of the amount of subgenres I somehow avoid to play.

Nothing wrong with being picky.

Maybe this will be the thread that will convince me to face some of my fears Smile

Most of mine are already mentioned (and I do admit that most of my speculations are wrong due to lack of experience. you’re more than welcome to prove me wrong).

Against my better judgment, I’ll give it a try.

- Myst Clones - I find something dreadfully static and sterile in those games. All puzzles and no story makes jack a sad boy. I do enjoy first person games, though, if they involve character interaction and good storytelling, that is. But I don’t regard those as myst clones.

All puzzles and no story…
Karlok’s Bold Statement of the Day: There’s more story in Riven than in Day of the Tentacle. Lots to do, lots of fun characters to talk to, but the story of DoTT can be summarized in just a few sentences. Here’s the intro to Riven (ends at 5:30).

Isn’t that a lovely and mysterious way to start a game? Well, I think it is. Smile So much to discover.

Dreadfully static and sterile…
Mystian games - the good ones - create a fascinating world which should feel alive and should be a joy to explore. Like Obsidian, another favorite of mine. If you haven’t played it, you really should give the very funny Zork: Grand Inquisitor a chance. You are nameless, faceless and silent, but you have a great sidekick and the game is filled with chatty, bizarre creatures. A must-play.

- Text Adventures - Actually I would love to play a text adventure. I’ve already have one in mind. The only thing is that it would be inconvenient to play it on a monitor so I’m thinking about playing on a tablet.

- Horrors - I like to play a horror game every now and then. I just don’t regard them as adventure games, with all these hide-n-seek elements. More like Silent Hill (which is pretty cool) without weapons. I know that there are titles which offer more adventure type of puzzles. I would like to hear some suggestions for a horror game that leans more on puzzles, story and exploration rather than hiding from the big monster. I’m thinking about giving SOMA a try.

Play Stories Untold and you’ll kill two birds with one stone: some horror + text adventure in combination with other forms of gameplay. For me, the best game of 2017.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know if it’s a sub-genre or a genre unto itself, but won’t play RPGs.

I find the subject interesting. Because, if you have never played a genre, how do you know you don’t like it? (I have played a few RPGs, which is how I know I don’t like them.) I guess a similar statement would involve how recently did you play a genre you don’t like? If the last Myst clone you played was Shivers, then maybe the genre might be worth another try. (This also applies to me. The last time I played an RPG was close to 15 years ago.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Thank you for the recommendations Karlok. I will give those a second look.

rtrooney - 14 November 2017 03:35 PM

If the last Myst clone you played was Shivers, then maybe the genre might be worth another try.

I do admit that I haven’t touched a Myst clone for quite a while. And real-time rendering first-person games doesn’t feel as static and disoriented as the slideshows in the glory days.

Wouldn’t recommend any new rpgs (most of those I tried feel really inferior to its predecessors or don’t seem close to AGs) but titles like Planescape Torment, Fallout 1,2 and Arcanum always stood as full-fledged adventure games for me. Combat varies from mild to optional, depending on your play style.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

badlemon - 15 November 2017 04:21 AM

Wouldn’t recommend any new rpgs (most of those I tried feel really inferior to its predecessors or don’t seem close to AGs) but titles like Planescape Torment, Fallout 1,2 and Arcanum always stood as full-fledged adventure games for me. Combat varies from mild to optional, depending on your play style.

I would recommend Divinity: Original Sin 2. The combat is really easy on “casual” mode and is turn based so no pausing or fast clicking. There are 1000 unique characters all with voice acting and dialogue trees. And there are many puzzles. It is probably the closest to adventure games a RPG can get.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

badlemon - 14 November 2017 09:36 AM

SOMA is a good option. There is some hiding from the big monster (nowhere near as many as Amnesia). Totally worth it for the amazing story and atmosphere.

Maybe try Stasis too - not as good as SOMA imo, but more puzzles so might be more up your alley.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Twine games - cloud-based text adventures.

http://twinery.org

The reason is my massive gaming backlog is occupied by more visually gratifying material and my attention span has atrophied. However, I’m willing to give the right game a jolly go.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Interactive stories/exploration/“walking simulators” such as Gone Home, Dear Esther, etc. Just thinking about them makes me sleepy, can’t bring myself to walk around virtual worlds doing nothing. Not to mention the stories and themes they offer don’t attract me at all. Same goes for Japanese visual novels where all you have to do is to choose verbs. I expect puzzles and action from my games, that’s how I was raised.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top