• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction SPOILER thread

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m not sure. The ending seems quite definite.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Theories about the trees:

Apparently many of the abductees were taken shortly before they were about to die—I remember a mention of a ship that was whisked away right before it was destroyed, for instance. In the bad ending, it seems that Earth was eventually annihilated in a nuclear holocaust. So the abductees were taken from a planet that was going to die, taken by the seeds before they individually died, and thrown together with other alien civlizations.They had to figure out how to nourish the trees (one for each civilization) and how to survive and get along with the aliens around them. They had to be resiliant, resourceful and cooperative. And if they trusted and took care the trees long enough (over several decades?) and got along well enough, the linked trees would then, together, generate enough power to bring them to a paradise planet, so that, once their homeworlds imploded/were destroyed, something of their civilizations would still survive.

So in a sense the trees captured them, set up test conditions, and then rewarded them if they passed the test. Essentially, the trees were on a rescue mission.

Theories about CW (Cecil):

Cecil apparently was a soldier in the US Civil War (judging from the hat he puts on in the ending video). Given his accent, he fought for the South. He’s a mechanical genius, and he’s responsible for many of the inventions and creations that have made life in Hunrath liveable. But he’s also cranky (the ending seems to indicate that he was disabled—maybe in the war—and can’t walk normally, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was also in a lot of pain). He seems to feel responsible to the other people in Hunrath, but given his own way and the power to do it, he’d rather send the whole place back home. He seems to have blinded himself to how extraordinarily unlikely it is that they’ll get back to Earth at exactly the right time and place for him to see his family again. I think Caroline Farley knew this, and that’s why she left a message telling any new abuductee to be careful who they trusted (and the only person left TO trust is Cecil).

You’d have to be pretty quick on the draw to realize all this and to choose the first time through to unplug the battery. I certainly left it plugged in the first time. I had read about two endings, though, so I knew to try for a better one.

I have no idea why Cecil doesn’t explain more. Explaining more would make it much more likely for you to do what he asks you to, right? Which (he thinks) will get him home.  Why make you figure out the codes on your own, for instance? I think we just have to fall back on the “because that would make it a much less challenging game” excuse.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Nice supposition, Becky.

I think Cyan meant you to do the bad ending first so you would get a more complete understanding of the plot once you know what devestation was was possible.

I always thought that there was no way you could have known to unhook the battery, except Cecil does ask you several times if you’ve taken care of the battery or checks his mental list with battery on it, so you think you must leave it on.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Dara100 - 07 January 2017 05:36 PM

Nice supposition, Becky.

I think Cyan meant you to do the bad ending first so you would get a more complete understanding of the plot once you know what devestation was was possible.

I always thought that there was no way you could have known to unhook the battery, except Cecil does ask you several times if you’ve taken care of the battery or checks his mental list with battery on it, so you think you must leave it on.

Indeed. And then at the very end of the game, when it’s too late, he talks about the big insects that will not unplug his battery, which is the hint you needed much earlier.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

UruBoo - 07 September 2016 05:44 AM

I also finished Obduction and have mixed feelings about it. It is an impressive game, with wonderful graphics, huge worlds and clever puzzles. But what I don’t like was the ending. After I spended hours and hours teleporting back and forward, figured out how to make bridges, put all machines to work (just to realize that one part of a monstruose machine had to be turned off to continue), died because I messed up with something I was not suppose to and finally connected the 4 trees I received THAT kind of an end? I don’t know about you but I didn’t like it. I expected much more of it. At least that I could explore the rest of the planet after I removed the dome and was able to see, at the top of the tower, nice places to have a look around.

Exactly my thoughts. I just finished it, read this thread and now I find out I got a “bad ending”. Sorry, but that’s stupid. How was I supposed to know there are other endings? There was no indication whatsoever. I might have uninstalled and never known.

A good game, but please developers - one ending only.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Or some indications that certain decisions will probably change the ending of the game Smile

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Did anyone ever discover why the battery blew up the world??

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I added spoilers to your question, Headycakes, for those who may not have gotten there yet.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

From what I understand, the battery allowed Cecil to use the energy from the Hunrath tree to take Hunrath back to Earth, but unfortunately it was a time in Earth’s future when the planet had been destroyed by an unknown catastrophe. So in a matter of a minute or so, the destruction that had overtaken Earth then destroyed Hunrath and everything linked to it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Becky - 24 March 2017 08:38 PM

From what I understand, the battery allowed Cecil to use the energy from the Hunrath tree to take Hunrath back to Earth, but unfortunately it was a time in Earth’s future when the planet had been destroyed by an unknown catastrophe. So in a matter of a minute or so, the destruction that had overtaken Earth then destroyed Hunrath and everything linked to it.

It’s a bit convoluted and I don’t quite understand it, but I’ve finished the game so am beyond caring. That’s why I don’t think there should have been an alternative ending.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Becky - 24 March 2017 08:38 PM

Thank you Becky for your clever interpretations of the game.
I was a little too impatient to read all of the in game documents and because of that a bit confuzed about the background story.

Of course this implies a good game, otherwise I would nor have bothered.
But… the maze together with ridiculous loading times, not very good at all, Cyan.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

smulan - 11 October 2017 01:47 PM

I was a little too impatient to read all of the in game documents and because of that a bit confuzed about the background story.

Of course this implies a good game, otherwise I would nor have bothered.
But… the maze together with ridiculous loading times, not very good at all, Cyan.

I read everything. Didn’t help me much. I was left with the feeling the story had to be as abstract as it is (to me at least) because there would probably be plot hole galore if anything more than the basic stuff was actually explained (not sure even the basic plot was properly explained to be honest).

Not saying it’s a bad game, but the storytelling is certainly not its strong point imo…

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

smulan - 11 October 2017 01:47 PM

Which maze are we talking about here?

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

@veovis

Yes, I think Cyan got a little too carried away by the clever game play and in game mechanics and so the story became something to that just adjusted and not very good adjusted. But to me Beckys explanations cover the plot in a good way.

@cake

The maze you have to change to being able pass it. Involves a lot of swapping and therefore a lot of loading and booring waiting.

Anyway, Obduction has plenty of the cozy moods and surroundings thats so cyan. But it’s not a masterpiece like Riven was, and maybe it had no chance of ever becoming, lacking that kind of resources financially.

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

smulan - 14 October 2017 11:19 AM

@cake

The maze you have to change to being able pass it. Involves a lot of swapping and therefore a lot of loading and booring waiting.

Not really a maze though (it was really basic and you could see the whole thing from the top), and I really enjoyed that puzzle. The spatial geometry was mind bending, which was Obduction’s main strength. It got you thinking in a different way.

As for loading times, they were ok for me. Time to get a SSD?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top