• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Layton’s Mystery Journey

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is out on 3DS.
I’ve been slowly playing the mobile version (on the 9th case now) and while I’ll probably finish since it’s a decent time waster on the phone I’m not particulary enjoying it and would probably have put it aside on the 3DS.
The main cast is good and the art and animations still typical Layton quality but I don’t like the repetitive episodic nature of the cases and the puzzles are mostly easy and not very imaginative.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Finally got this on IPad. It is no classic like the Curious Village. It is only OK. I hear on the 3DS release they cut the 3D. WTF.

Anyway, playing the first Layton game is a better use of your time. If you can find the game cheap it is OK.

On IOS it was $15.99 so I am Ok with it. No Aggie winner here.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I bought the Curious Village and Mysterious Journey for my iPad. Layton Curious Village is definitely worth it - lots of puzzles and things to look for. Mysterious Journey is a real let down. So much dialogue, I just click and click throught it all. Very boring, and the puzzles so far are fewer and far between. No where near as good in caliber as the Curious Village IMHO. I’m sorry to have paid over $20 for this game, as I have no inclination to finish it.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

For me the storytelling was more of a disappointment than the puzzles. The main Layton games are about large mysteries that span entire cities and lead into confrontations with larger-than-life villains. In this one you have a bunch of unrelated pedestrian cases that mostly don’t have any true villains at all.
The episodic nature also makes difficulty scaling harder (cannot do a “solve X puzzles to continue” gate) and means you have to do more work to find the harder hidden puzzles, with no Granny Riddleton and not much backtracking.

The anime has recently been explaining what happened with the Professor and is about to reunite them, so I hope an old-school installment is possible again. I appreciate that Katrielle is her own character and I do think she’s a good one, but I must say I prefer the kind of stories her father gets in.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing it through. I did buy it for $15.99 and want my money’s worth for it.

Too bad I didn’t get a used 3DS copy, then I could return it. Another game series gone bad.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Mikekelly - 18 December 2018 08:20 PM

I hear on the 3DS release they cut the 3D. WTF.

Sadly, Nintendo essentially caved to pressure from concerned parent groups in the US, removing the 3D from a bunch of titles that seemed particularly likely to be played by children over fears of it being bad for their eyes. They even made a special version of the 3DS without the 3D (calling it the 2DS, a simple and apt name for an obvious step back, even ditching the clamshell design for something uglier but not as liable to be broken by kids).

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Meh. The 3D was always more of a distraction than an addition. I never turned it on for more than ten minutes per game and consider it little more than a useless gimmick.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The 3D was kinda cool for augmented reality games (AR) like spirit camera. But very few of these kind of games was released on the system.

There is a deluxe 2DS for sale called the NEW 2DS XL. It has a clamshell design, large screens and is more powerful than the regular 2DS.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top