• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jotun

Finally finished it, very surprised and pleased at the same time
Its Nordic myth education presented in very beautiful music and art

Worlds representation and some of the boss fights are truly incredible and transcendent
It rewards exploration, there is no map and you get better power ups to make your journey less frustrating
Bosses are very hard, req dexterity and can be a issue when camera pans out making your character look like an ant
Last boss is not balanced and destroys the climax

Still in top 10 best indies, dont sleep on this esp if you love Nordic culture/folklore
or loved Okami
9/10

DeusExmankindDivided

Played it on hardest this time and full stealth
Jank is there, still a fun stealth with lots of tight situations, enemy patrols like a puzzle box and finding a way out is fun
Wish the last mission was better and game wasnt axed by SEnix for sequel
Game ends when shit starts to get better

I never asked for this SE

8/10

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer

So basically singleplayer was a tutorial
Real shit is Multiplayer
Its the best competitive multiplayer game i have played
Tons of fun, so many modes , plenty of upgrade options for both your character and Titans, makes alot of difference in the match, i came out on top once and it was truly rewarding experience
Attrition and frontier defense are great modes
Character mobility reaches Ninjagaiden levels with guns
So many good players put you on the weaker side, always
It becomes very action packed like 10 titans fighting at once with other soldier shit going on

10/10

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Finished Bioshock: Infinite yesterday. What a game. I didn’t care much for the gameplay and think that the gameplay in Bioshock and Bioshock 2 is far better but Infinite has one of the best stories ever. I haven’t played the DLCs yet but am looking forward to that.

I never expected to finish all three Bioshock games when I purchased the collection simply because shooters are not my thing resp. a means for venting aggression after a really bad day - 15 minutes of Painkiller do the trick when even sports doesn’t work any longer. Also, I never thought that a shooter could have such a great Story. A friend recommended Infinite a while ago; I started playing on the Computer but gave up even before reaching Monument Island. But I liked what I saw, and since the disc versions of the first two Bioshock games wouldn’t work on my computer, I decided to get the collection for the PS4. Never expected to make it through all three games because I tend to give up quickly when things get rough.

And so I gave up on the first Bioshock after only two hours of playing, set it aside for months and restarted in June. At first, it was very hectic, and the atmosphere really got me - I always expected something to jump out and attack me. But once I got past that Medical Pavillion, I started to enjoy the game more and more as the story unfolded. In the end, I liked everything about the first Bioshock - the story, the gameplay, and the fact that you have to make decisions throughout the game that affect the ending you get. And, of course, it’s a gorgeous game. I loved the parts when I could just wander around Rapture and marvel at the beauty of it all. Same with Columbia. The first 1-2 hours, before the Raffle, are wonderful, and I liked Columbia a lot - not as much as Rapture, though.

The only criticism I have regarding Infinite (besides the weaker gameplay) is the final fight. It’s very hard, even on lowest difficulty, and it’s very cliché. The game just throws waves of enemies at you, it doesn’t tell you that you need to protect the core until it’s game over because the enemies have destroyed the core. THEn the game tells you “You failed to protect the core”. I think it took me three or four attempts until I realised where the core was (which is really silly because the thing is pretty big *ahem*) and another four or five attempts until I figured out the best strategy to beat all those enemies. Turned out that running around shooting at everything wasn’t the best strategy for me. Instead, I put shields all over the core, put crow traps on the command deck close to the core where I knew enemies would eventually run up, used the Shock Jockey on the Patriots and the Vox beside them, used the water-thingy to throw enemies that had landed on the runways overboard, used Songbird on the Zeppelins and, when no Zeppelin or barge was in sight, on enemies on deck. I didn’t have to run around much - just went back to fetch a health kit or down to fetch some ammo resp. salts when Elizabeth didn’t have any, then went back up and, if necessary, renewed the shield. The shield did the trick, I think, because it made the core hold out much longer. I think it started to take damage only during the second wave of Patriots, halfway through the fight. It still was a close call but totally worth it. Not my favourite fight but since it got me this ending, I’m glad I didn’t give up on it.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Destiny 2

Not completely finished the game as there is still plenty of content to play, however I have finished the main story, Topped out at level 20 and got both subclasses for my Warlock character.

Left to do :

Get my light up from 220 to 300 by completing weekly challenges and
Adventures
Milestone missions
Strikes
Raid

Pros

* Lots of loot. (Maybe too much as you burn through weapons every few minutes.)
* New abilities. My Warlock gets some cool powers. Lightning hands was cool.
* Better graphics
* New Clan system is cool, allowing you to team up with 100 people and share rewards etc. Allowing you to contribute 5000 xp per week towards growing clan powers.
* Much more to do in the worlds with Adventures and lost areas, chests, strikes, public events constantly popping off.
* Mobility and shooting is superb, it’s constantly fun to head shot the various enemies.

Cons

* The story is a basic “getting the band back together”, but the new adventures add a lot of side stories that flesh it out.
* It crammed in all the enemies from the first game without much of a story reason and there are not a lot of new enemies.

It’s a huge amount of fun and keep sucking me back in to just get one more light level so that the endorphins kick in when the numbers are higher when I shoot things.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lucien21 - 27 August 2017 05:18 PM

Uncharted : The Lost Legacy

Started out as DLC, but was fleshed out into a stand alone at a budget price (£25). However there is little here that can be said to look like a budget game. It looks absolutly fantastic, the Indian setting is stunning to look at.

At just over 10 hours to complete it’s also not a short experience.

Ditching Nathan as the lead character is a great idea, because that is what makes this gamemore enjoyable than it should be. Chloe and Nadines roadtrip through India is a great little story as they bicker, fight and work together to find the Tusk of somthing or other. The maguffin is not that important, this game is all about the story of these two characters.

Standard Uncharted fair for the most part.. Action adventure through georgous locations alternating exploration, combat and puzzling to get to the Maguffin while being chased by mad man with his own private army of redshirts.

It’s all still fun, but I couldn’t help but feel that the reason the game was developed pretty quick and for a budget price is that they reused all the tech from the previous games and just hid them slightly.

A train level..check
Driving a vehicle while being attacked by other vehicles..check
Lots of convienient coloured handheld that stand out..check
Lots of bridges, ledges, floors etc that will collapse unexpectingly…check

It’s Uncharted by numbers with the exception of level 4 which attempts a more open world level. It gives you a large area to drive around and lots of little things to find as well as the bigger forts. It was fun sandwiched between all the other linear levels.

They may be streatching the formula, but its still a rollicking rollercoaster, that looks amazing, has a couple of great characters and a half decent plot. Not bad for half the normal price of a game.

Uncharted…

4.5 /5

Very well said, I couldn’t agree more with every point you made. The only thing I would add is because of the length of the game, the pacing is MUCH better than UC4. You only spend a short time doing one activity before they switch it around and throw another activity your way. And they have ditched some of the annoying tropes from the previous game like the extended winch sections and the whole crate pushing.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Destiny 2

Pros

- Huge maps, like EDZ feels like whole D1, lots of content , adventures to watnot
- New enemy sub variety though classes are same
- Great art direction and better graphics, also amount of enemies in strikes sometimes make it seem like MOBA
- Strikes are awesome
- Music is 10/10
- Decent loot and dope weapons
- High production quality
- Good VAs, Claudia black and Lance are back
- Top quality Cutscenes , no barebones story effort anymore
- Subclasses

Cons

- No option to cycle through weapons , makes it a chore to go in options , which loads
- Get disconnect and loose progress, no checkpoint save in story missions
- Cannot get to your player location directly , should have opted for Dyinglight mechanic
If your buddy is lost in map, you are done , keep searching
-Some strike chests open at unknown position, so if some random team has opened it and they get the loot, and if you are far off and running unable to make it, bam lost all loot
- No new classes
- No new enemy race
- Everything boils down to shoot cabal,fallen,taken or vex, its all about shooting whether its strike or adventure or raid, so new races can help alot
- Patches and server issues , PUBG can handle 1 million at once as indie and this having issues

Verdict

Fixing alot of issues and setting a bar in some aspects
Still some major frustrations

8.5/10

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Styx: Shards of Darkness

Pros

- Best Stealth game in recent memory
- Great VA and dialogues are genuinely well written/funny
- Intense sandbox of stealth and trickery
- Huge levels
- Multiple ways to tackle objectives
- Great traversal and platforming, better than uncharted
- Xray vision used is best way
- One of best skill trees that can make stuff in levels your playground
- Very hard or hard difficulty but equally rewarding, right button on dpad is quicksave, its a game changer and greaaat decision
- Minimal loadtimes on death
- Died more than Souls games, but not frustrating thanks to quick save
- Loved NPC cast, interesting setup of story and twists, you have your dwarfs,darkelves, humans, guilds and goblin politcs
- Music and sound are great too

Cons

- Its finished , need a sequel asap

Verdict

This game is straight out of PC end 90s and early 2000 era with some current era upgrades
Now on UE4, unlike its prequel which i didnt play, i didnt even know its brilliance

If you loved that era and liked DeathtrapDungeon, Galleon, Thief , Heretic etc and want similar dose of old school gaming, get this
It fleshes out to be better game than MGSV, Dishonored 2 on mid budget
Don’t sleep on this like i did Smile

10/10

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finally finished Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and what a ride!
First the negatives and they are mostly gameplay related, the combat was repetitive, after getting the special sword and that river of dead mobs every encounter (except the boss) felt like a drag and more of the same.
The rune searching also got old fast and felt like padding and environments limited

In the positive side, the presentation more than made up for it. Incredible what a small team could do. Graphics, art, acting, voices, story made it a great experience.
Althought the normal enemies fights got repetitive the boss fights were all memorable - specially that [spoiler]beast in the dark[/spoiler].
Needs to be played with headphones, creates a very disturbing game and I think it achieves the objective the developers were trying to show with the main characters illness.

Loved the Mythology in the game, can’t wait for the new God of War with the Norse Mythology. 

Also finished Sonic Mania. Not much to say, a perfect compilation of the golden age of Sonic packed with a lot of small details. Shows 2D Sonic games can stand the test of time, too bad they could never get it right in 3D.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 27 September 2017 09:53 AM

Also finished Sonic Mania.  Shows 2D Sonic games can stand the test of time, too bad they could never get it right in 3D.

50$ well spent Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 27 September 2017 12:42 PM
wilco - 27 September 2017 09:53 AM

Also finished Sonic Mania.  Shows 2D Sonic games can stand the test of time, too bad they could never get it right in 3D.

50$ well spent Smile

For sure! And games I actually finished!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Everybody’s Golf (PS4)

I’ve always enjoyed these games in the past and this one is no different.

The weird cartoony characters, the customisation of the characters, the cutesy music etc are all hung on an addictive game of golf.

The structure of the games stays true to the previous games as you play your way up 7 levels of difficulty. Play 9 or 18 holes for points, gather enough points to play a Vs tournament boss. Beat the boss and then back to gathering points. 2 bosses per level and you advance to the next level.

There are some changes to you equipment, while there are still different clubs and balls which give different buffs (like big air or bunker balls) there is now some element of RPGing where the clubs increase in skill the more you use them.

The biggest changes this time around are to the multiplayer and home base. Between rounds you are in you own little home level where you can run around, it gets populated by characters you defeat. Eventually you can get a golf cart to race around the road, a fishing pole to fish in you own pond or just run around looking for power up sparkles.

The multiplayer courses are now more free roam with multiple courses based around a hub, you can do the holes in whatever order you like, tool around on your cart or fish on the courses.

It also has a team based Turf war mode which is fun where you have to have the lowest score on a hole to “win that hole for a point” the team with the most points wins so with limited time do you try and get an eagle on this hole or run to another hole to win that one…choices choices.

Lots of fun.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Stand Alone DLC on a disc is a thing. This is the second one to come out recently with the Uncharted 4 one coming out last month.

This one follows on from Dishonored 2 where you play the outlaw Billie Lurk who is put on a revenge mission by Daud to take out the Outsider himself.

The five missions take about 10 hours to complete. The game pushes you more in the kill everything direction from the start. When The Ousider appears early on and forces powers onto you he taunts you about having to get blood on your hands if you want to complete your mission.

The powers give you the basic teleportation ability along with a ghostly scouting power that allows you to freely scan the area and mark enemies and bone charms. The third power is a lot more fun as it allows you to borrow someones likeness so that you can walk past guards etc.

Although there is less incentive to do the stealthy route it is still possible to knock out the guards.

The levels are rich with details and exploring will give you more background and different routes to your end goal or towards some of the alternate contracts and side missions. The best mission in the game is a bank heist where you can choose to gas the employees from the roof or enter through the sewers.

I had fun with the game and while it doesn’t do much more than what Dishonored 2 it is still an interesting story within a fascinating world.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 01 October 2017 08:27 AM

The five missions take about 10 hours to complete

Thats good length for 30$ , did you play on normal or hard
Other gamers reporting 6 to 7 hrs max
I will get it now if its 10 hrs taking everything slow

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I took my time and explored, did some of the contract stuff etc.

You could probably wizz through the levels a lot faster and do it on 6 hours i’m sure.

Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Hob

Hob is a strange and wonderful game. Almost completely silent apart from ambient sounds of the creatures and machinery of the world. I seen it being compared to a Zelda game and you can certainly see that in the dungeons and combat which feels a lot like “Link to the past”.

A world that seems to be one large puzzle where you go around raising parts of the world by powering up ancient machine, punching button, pulling levers or moving boxes etc. Unfortunatly the world is also corrupted by purple goo and various monsters.

You start the game, being let out of a room by a robot, who helps you through out the game at various points. You quickly get poisoned and have to have your arm cut off and replaced with a robotic arm and a sword.

So armed you traverse the world and solve the puzzles, fight the bad guys and earn upgrade points that give you better moves, a better sword or adds abilities to the roboarm.

The world is georgous to look at, full of vistas to stare at and grass to cut, like A link to the past, for health. The wow of pushing a button and seeing large parts of the world woosh up into view opening up new areas to explore.

THe main aspects of the game are a lot of fun, figuring out the puzzles, the combat and exploring are all great.

For £15 the dozen or so hours I put into it was money well spent.

My main issue with the game is the story, or lack of an obvious one anyway. With the game being silent the game is mostly told through lore that you can unlock or by guessing from your surroundings and actions.

The other drawback is the camera which is static, you can’t control it which makes for some occassionally frustrating combat. There was a bunch of times you forget that you can’t just use the right stick to rotate the georgous scenary.

Overall though I had a great time with it even if i’m not sure what the hell was going on and that ending was disappointing.

4/5

Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The Evil Within 2

I was leaving the game for later didnt want it to end but the addiction and oldschool(psx) feel was too strong to let it go and finished it in 3 days 20 hrs on survival

Tango made modified Idtech5 engine called Stem which was my first fear, but all alleviated
Amazing shifting of worlds on the fly, which serves its purposes in gameplay and story telling

Basically shifting worlds is the part that makes it Silenthill so this whole bit is Scifi Silenthill

Gameplay is mix of Arkane crafting and skill trees like Prey , every part of your character build up can change the nature of gameplay and encounters
Here is matters more than any Arkane though

There are stealth bits like last of us and yes those kills are intense and cathartic

Pros

Story is mix of clever , genius and Mikami oldschool cheese

Scares are very creative and catch you ofguard

Open world and town is that of Silenthill , really added alot and perfectly nailed with enemies and loot all over, not too big with very rewarding exploration

Plenty of intense encounters and great great bosses , more than what i was expecting, oldschool and done with modern advancement in ways that i always wanted

Bosses and enemies chase you around the town like say clocktower, they chased me in every room, bus and rooftops like hungry dogs and using attacks in areas that i thought were safezones, nope, thats the key factor that makes it click

10/10 cutscnes, VAs, music and sound design

Very organic and natural dialogues

Throwbacks to all my fav old school horror games and Bethesda games easter eggs

Balancing is genius, game has a way of throwing off balance with new stuff with amazing endgame, might be among the best last hour

NPCs that matter in plot alot with Bioware conversations added alot same for Twinpeaks coffee stands filling your health

Save rooms gave PSX era feel

So glad no shooting enemies like RE456 and Deadspace3 which ruined the games for me
They were there in Ew1 too , glad for no shit like that

Cons

That feeling when you realize your best gaming feels might not come again in lifetime or anytime sooner
I hope it sells for EW3

Verdict

I liked it more than Re3,4,5,6,7
It started at as a clone but now RE series need to something great otherwise its a clone now, irrelevant, find it very strange i can make this statement considering Re7 came this year
Re7 seems like content less game now

As of this writing its in my top 3 games this gen along with Bloodborne and Lastguardian
Which makes me wonder where to place this in game of the year
Considering all things its objectively did more better things than Persona5 or Prey

Kidman > Aloy,jill
Seb > Leon
Torres > Claire

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top