• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I’ve been playing Deponia Doomsday. I’ve heard not so great things about it, but I’ve been enjoying it so far.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Anyone have any first impressions on XING yet? I’m about to jump in once I’m done with a few games I’m trying to finish.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Xing is a wonderful game. I am over 8 hours in and the game tells me I am at 52%. Its not too terribly difficult but very enjoyable.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I backed Xing on Kickstarter so I have it and it’s quite high on my ‘to play’ list - I’m hearing a lot of positive things about it. After Dujanah though (and I don’t have time to play that yet!)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Playing Xing and loving it. Beautiful worlds, nice puzzles (although some dexterity or hand-eye coordination is needed). No glitches, but I’m glad my win10 computer has a lot of power. I turned the repetitive new age music off after 30 minutes and didn’t miss it, ambient sounds are atmospheric enough for me in this type of game. 

Wish I could play it in VR though.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m replaying part 1 of INFRA. Part 3 (the last part) will be released in a few days and I’ve been holding off playing part 2 waiting for the game to be complete. Revisiting part 1 is almost as great as it was the first time around!

XING is next on the list.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Currently playing Atlantis I - The Lost Tales. I thought I’d (finally) give the original Atlantis trilogy a try.

It has to be one of the most wretched, unpleasant games I’ve ever played. I was expecting some sort of Myst-like thing, but most of the game is actually spent trying to avoid getting killed by guards, getting lost in maze-like environments, and having no idea what the hell the game wants you to do now. (Most of the puzzles would be dead easy were they not so improperly-clued. And if you weren’t constantly fighting against the clunky UI.)

Also, an awful lot of talking, with some of the worst writing and voice acting I’ve ever had to suffer through. (And that’s in the original French, so I can’t even blame the localization.) Oh, and did I mention that you can’t save at will, so you never know how much you’ll have to redo whenever you die (which happens a lot) or stop playing? Ugh.

I’m probably pig-headed enough to play it through to the end (with no qualms about going to a walkthrough whenever necessary), but I’m not sure I want to go on with the series if the rest is going to be similar.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 26 September 2017 06:29 AM

Currently playing Atlantis I - The Lost Tales. I thought I’d (finally) give the original Atlantis trilogy a try.

It has to be one of the most wretched, unpleasant games I’ve ever played. I was expecting some sort of Myst-like thing, but most of the game is actually spent trying to avoid getting killed by guards, getting lost in maze-like environments, and having no idea what the hell the game wants you to do now. (Most of the puzzles would be dead easy were they not so improperly-clued. And if you weren’t constantly fighting against the clunky UI.)

The best thing about Atlantis 1 was the soundtrack.
I also liked the design of the dragonfly ships and some of the locations.

Also, an awful lot of talking, with some of the worst writing and voice acting I’ve ever had to suffer through. (And that’s in the original French, so I can’t even blame the localization.)

I didn’t realize the French was also bad. What I found even more disturbing was the animation of the mouths and bodies of the characters, which is dependent on processor speed, so they end up twitching in a weird way. I don’t know if any of the modern downloads have tried to adjust this.

Oh, and did I mention that you can’t save at will, so you never know how much you’ll have to redo whenever you die (which happens a lot) or stop playing? Ugh.

Yes it had those autosaves.

I’m probably pig-headed enough to play it through to the end (with no qualms about going to a walkthrough whenever necessary), but I’m not sure I want to go on with the series if the rest is going to be similar.

Atlantis 2 and 3 are not the same at all.
The Atlantis games are all different.
Atlantis 2 had the fewest “sudden death” incidences. In fact I don’t remember any.
Atlantis 3 had a few, though nowhere near as bad as the first Atlantis. Still, there is a point very early in the game where you can get killed by walking in the “wrong” direction.
The original versions of both Atlantis 2 and 3 allowed you to save at will, though I don’t know about the “updated” remakes which removed puzzles and other features in order to make an easy multi-platform port for mobile.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

crabapple - 26 September 2017 12:03 PM

The best thing about Atlantis 1 was the soundtrack.
I also liked the design of the dragonfly ships and some of the locations.

I just finished the part in the pole, with the Eskimos. I was really happy to be getting out of the palace and to some new place—but then all I did there was run away from some guards, then run away from a bear, and then run away from more guards. I swear 90% of this game involves evading guards and other things that want to kill you.

The flying ships are really elegant, but I find them disturbing because they make no sense. How do they fly? What’s the point of those wings that don’t move?? Why are the wings deployed after the ship is already up in the air??? I have so many questions.

I didn’t realize the French was also bad. What I found even more disturbing was the animation of the mouths and bodies of the characters, which is dependent on processor speed, so they end up twitching in a weird way. I don’t know if any of the modern downloads have tried to adjust this.

I’m using the GOG version, running on XP inside VirtualBox (the game was unplayable directly in Win 10); everything works fine, except for those animations. It looks like they all have Parkinson’s. It’s terrifying.

(And yeah, the French version is horrible. Every guard and bad guy is written and played like he’s in a gangster movie from the 50s…)

Atlantis 2 and 3 are not the same at all.
The Atlantis games are all different.
Atlantis 2 had the fewest “sudden death” incidences. In fact I don’t remember any.
Atlantis 3 had a few, though nowhere near as bad as the first Atlantis. Still, there is a point very early in the game where you can get killed by walking in the “wrong” direction.

I’ll give the other two a chance, then. Thanks for the input! Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 26 September 2017 06:29 AM

It has to be one of the most wretched, unpleasant games I’ve ever played.

I had the exact same plan earlier this year, having never played them. Never followed it through, thankfully. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

crabapple - 26 September 2017 12:03 PM

It’s been a couple of years since I tried playing Atlantis 3 - I can’t remember dying a lot (or dying at all) but I do remember an annoying puzzle that, if not solved correctly, led to a dead-end. I played trial and error on that one - it involved opening drawers in a specific order, I think - but eventually gave up because it just didn’t work. The most annoying part about this puzzle: It could not be reset, i.e. you were stuck and could not proceed with the game. Since the game had annoyed me a lot already, I de-installed it and never touched it again.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Jehane - 27 September 2017 08:59 AM

I do remember an annoying puzzle that, if not solved correctly, led to a dead-end. I played trial and error on that one - it involved opening drawers in a specific order, I think - but eventually gave up because it just didn’t work. The most annoying part about this puzzle: It could not be reset, i.e. you were stuck and could not proceed with the game. Since the game had annoyed me a lot already, I de-installed it and never touched it again.

I don’t remember the drawer puzzle all that well, but according to UHS you need certain inventory items to give you the solution—or at least most of the solution.
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/atlant3/1318.php?hint=6

If you didn’t have those inventory items, the puzzle may not have triggered.

I did reset it though, probably by just pushing all the drawers in and starting over.
Seems to me I fiddled with it without the clues, and had to go back to it later.

I played the DVD version, which was really slow to load on computers at the time the game came out.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve finally picked up Dark Train. I was very much drawn to the visuals, but wasn’t too sure how much I would enjoy playing the game since I usually prefer titles featuring characters with whom I can interact and a more “realistic” environment, but after a couple of hours, I’m totally smitten! I also feared it would be too “oppressive” to my taste, since it’s a word the developer uses to describe it, but honestly, and I hope they won’t take it the wrong way, I haven’t felt the least oppressed by it so far - I just love the atmosphere, the palette of greys is smooth and soothing and the colours are incrediblly vibrant. And that little squid-bot is just too adorable for words, I feel more empathy for her than for many of the young, female, human characters to whom I’m technically supposed to identify. I’m having tremendous fun just floating around in gorgeous environments and lighting up devices and bumping into things, which doesn’t even hurt since, well, I’m a squid-droid, i can’t feel any physical pain (at least I hope so), it’s quite poetic, really, my warmest congratulations goes to the team for crafting such a gem.

I’ve also started playing Viktor: A Steampunk Adventure. I love the graphics and the musical score. I’m not too fond of some of the humour, I’m finding it a bit too coarse, to be perfectly honest - but I like the atmosphere and the idea behind the game, it’s unique and absurd enough, so I’ll keep playing it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Phonex Wright Spirit of Justice. A really great game.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The remastered version of La Noire. Never played through it completely when it was first released so this was a good time to do just that.

It’s a good game but I can’t help but make comparisions to the later Sherlock Holmes games which are considerably better based on what I played so far. It does get repetetive and relies very much on quantity over quality but the game is still good enough to make you keep playing it.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top