• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyGabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Phoenix Springs - a neonoir / mystery / adventure game

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Phlebas - 28 July 2017 04:55 AM
cyfoyjvx - 27 July 2017 11:40 AM
calligram - 26 July 2017 05:06 AM

Ahh the heels / sand thing… Yeah a few people have commented on it and uh… that’s bad design from us. Video games logic I guess Meh

Hey I liked the heels. Makes you wonder what she’s doing there and how she got there. It’s the little details that count.

I did like that aspect of the design - she’s not quite dressed for the environment and that’s intriguing. But if she’s wearing them walking around on a soft, sandy surface, that feels a bit jarringly improbable. Now that effect could be deliberate, but unless you’re going for a Suda-esque dissonance they don’t quite work for me.

Maybe she can arrive wearing the heels and then slip them off and change into something more sensible Smile

It would be interesting (and potentially annoying) if she stumbled every few steps until she found something more suitable. No doubt they are inappropriate shoes for hiking, but that’s what makes it intriguing!

Mind you, when I first saw the screen I didn’t think of the path she was walking on as soft and sandy. If you look at the colour of the track it is darker than the surrounding dunes, which could mean it is condensed. I live near a lot of walking tracks that are that colour.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

I like the idea of letting her walk barefoot after a while, but it’s a bit of a headache in terms of animation (you have to re-rig / re-skin the character and all kinds of boring technical stuff).

One quick fix would be to make the ground look a bit darker, add a bit of texture and give it more of a crunch sound FX for footsteps. So it’s more rocky than sandy. Just thinking out loud here - thanks for brainstorming with us Smile

And as far as her feeling out of place, I can safely say we have a very good answer for that…

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hey look at that - I replied before I saw your comment cyfoyjv. Great minds…

And funnily enough I was looking at these gorgeous watercolours of the Australian outback for reference this morning:

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top