• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Thimbleweed Park

Backed this kickstarter, and I’m satisfied, although not thrilled about the result.

A few good things:
==================
*The art style for the locations was fantastic.
*Loved the scenes that really utilized the style of the game, like the library, the bookshop, the radio tower, and others. That really brought back the feeling of the old school adventure games.
*Ransome’s dialogues worked much better then expected, and was really funny at times.
*Dolores was a pretty good character.
*The notebooks were great to have to help you keep track of your goals.

The bad stuff:
==================
*It was weird having characters work together for puzzles, without them talking to each other (which was fixed only when I had reached the last chapter), or being given any clear motivation for them.
*The references to older adventure games were too many, and felt more awkward then funny.
*Didn’t appreciate all the red herrings in the inventory.
*Too many goals were given too early, before you could do anything related to it.
*Puzzles lacked in variation, by being almost solely inventory based, and pretty much every time I had gotten stuck, it was because I hadn’t picked up an item.
*The logic felt of in several puzzles - especially with the water puddle in the forest, and how easily Ransome parted with his jokebook, for no apparent gain for him, and the object was used as a solution for a puzzle that didn’t get introduced for several chapters afterwards.
*Ray and Franklin were underutilized. Especially Frankling shouldn’t have been selectable at all time after being introduced.
*To many events and happenings were teased, and then not properly used or explained. *The ending and explanation didn’t work for me at all. It wasn’t funny, thoughtful or satisfactory, but rather tainted the game for me.

Some more good stuff:
===================
*I appreciate the devs continuing the work with the game, with dialogues and hint line, even if I had beaten most of the game before it.
*The kickstarter project was great to follow, with blogs and podcasts.
*The game had a good length. Not to short, and not to long.

Out of the kickstarter adventure games I’ve played, Broken Age was the far better game in most aspects (although having the far higher budget of course), with Broken Sword 5 as the second best, and this being third.

If I had to give it a score, it would be 3/5.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Finished Stories Untold last night.  It’s not without its flaws but wow what a ride.  It is truly an exceptional game and I recommend everyone try it (the first of four episodes is on the free demo).

Not much in the way of puzzles; plenty in the way of creepy without resorting to cheap scares.  I think a cheap scare might have sent me to bed in tears, to be honest. Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I just finished The Lion’s Song. I very much liked the depiction of Vienna and the game’s art style. What I didn’t like so much was how the story didn’t have much insight to offer about the artistic worlds we were delving into. When you have three stories about a musician, a painter and a mathematician you would at least expect the writers to tell us something interesting about those fields. What we got was totally without substance - window dressing. I realize it’s a game about characters and not the subjects themselves, but I found the portrayal of music and mathematics in particular so mundane and simplistic that it was almost an affront to the Viennese arts scene.

Just my 2 cents. It may seem minor but it really took something away from the story for me.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Just finished Aporia: Beyond the Valley, fantastic, highly recommended for the First Person Exploration lovers.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

GreyFuss - 23 July 2017 06:59 PM

Just finished Aporia: Beyond the Valley, fantastic, highly recommended for the First Person Exploration lovers.

This one’s next on my to-play list. It looks really nice, and I like that it has full controller support.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Finished Lone Echo over the weekend. I was happy to find it was pretty much pure adventure (wasn’t totally sure from the trailers), and I was really impressed with it overall. I have a full review on the way so I’ll leave it at that for now.

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Just finished Kathy Rain. It has all that esthetics and technology from early 90’s and it takes advantage from nostalgia (those floppy disks…)

Pros: very well written female main character, appropiate difficulty, that bike…

Cons: a confuse poem puzzle, story and ending is a bit far-fetched and not very clear. I guess we’ll just have to wait for the ¿second part?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

walas74 - 26 July 2017 01:02 AM

I guess we’ll just have to wait for the ¿second part?

Apparently we have to wait quite a bit because Clifftop Games next game is Whispers of a Machine, not Kathy Rain 2

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ahenobarbus - 26 July 2017 06:02 PM
walas74 - 26 July 2017 01:02 AM

I guess we’ll just have to wait for the ¿second part?

Apparently we have to wait quite a bit because Clifftop Games next game is Whispers of a Machine, not Kathy Rain 2

Yeah, promising game with the team of The Stanley Paradox.

But I’m sure there will be a Kathy Rain 2, after all, we can read “A detective is born” on the menu screen of Kathy Rain Smile

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

walas74 - 26 July 2017 07:09 PM

But I’m sure there will be a Kathy Rain 2, after all, we can read “A detective is born” on the menu screen of Kathy Rain Smile

That’d be The Samaritan Paradox (as opposed to The Stanley Parable)? It does sound very promising, at any rate:
http://www.whispersofamachine.com/

Based on what’s there, I’m imagining The Killing meets Technobabylon which sounds very appealing to me! A bit of a wait before we find out for sure, but then I still haven’t played Kathy Rain yet. I know, I know.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Coincidentally, I’m playing The Samaritan Paradox right now and am so far thoroughly unimpressed.

Seems lazy/rushed, voice acting stilted, a couple of the puzzles poorly thought out/downright infuriating. Tongue

WoaM does look awesome though.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Phlebas - 27 July 2017 04:40 AM
walas74 - 26 July 2017 07:09 PM

That’d be The Samaritan Paradox (as opposed to The Stanley Parable)? It does sound very promising, at any rate:
http://www.whispersofamachine.com/

Based on what’s there, I’m imagining The Killing meets Technobabylon which sounds very appealing to me! A bit of a wait before we find out for sure, but then I still haven’t played Kathy Rain yet. I know, I know.

Yeah, your are right, The Samaritan Paradox. Kind of dislexia there…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve finished The Darkside Detective.
Small enjoyable romp , it has those big pixelated graphics like The Last Door, very few animations and the puzzles are nothing original and on the easy side.
But it does have funny and fast dialogue to keep me entertained for the 3 hours of duration. Central duo characters are good, specially Officer Dooley and 6 cases get progressively better.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have played Kathy Rain several times and can’t wait for a Kathy Rain 2!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I finished What Remains of Edith Finch. One of my favorite adventure games of the year so far. Very touching and beautifully told story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top