• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harold Halibut - A Handmade Adventure Game

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

I am sure many of you have already noticed and pledged for an upcoming handmade adventure game Harold Halibut on Kickstarter. I think it is very interesting and ambitious title both for the creator’s approach and its possible result.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slowbros/harold-halibut-a-handmade-adventure-game/posts/1937746

AG page with screenshots, videos and info is here.

For those who want to know more about this game, the creators prepared a “live-streaming pre-alpha gameplay next Wednesday [July 19] on Kickstarter Live, acting out the dialogue lines! The Event will be accompanied by a Q&A, live sculpting by the game’s art director Ole Tillmann, and live music by Sascha Haus.
Here is the link to the stream: http://bit.ly/2sZeMug
Following the event, we are also going to release a new Teaser!”

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Nice craftmanship too bad won’t be funded by KS,if only the goal would have been around 100k.Anyway team looks so determined hope they raise funds via other channels.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Gabe - 16 July 2017 11:07 AM

Nice craftmanship too bad won’t be funded by KS,if only the goal would have been around 100k.Anyway team looks so determined hope they raise funds via other channels.

Yeah, the progress is really slow and the situation does not look good, even though the campaign is quite solid. If only these more than 950 backers (I am one of them) would spread the word, it could be done, I think…

Btw here is FB page for Harold Halibut.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It is a very impressive pitch indeed, and the campaign video is excellent.

However, they did a couple of things that have really hurt them, in my opinion.

They priced the main tier at 20 EU. No matter how impressive looking your game is, unless your name is Tim Schafer, it’s super hard to pull that off. People are expecting indie games to cost either $5, $7, $10, $15 or $20, with the majority of them costing $15. Asking for $23 for the cheapest Kickstarter tier is not a good idea, especially because - since the backers are the ones making the game happen - most campaigns will reward their backers with the possibility of getting the game cheaper than it will cost on release.

And the second blunder, imho, is not having an early bird tier. You might “lose” (in a way, because you don’t really) some possible funds by discounting it, but you attract a lot of people, and it’s possible that word about your campaign spreads. Also, the more backers you get in the beginning, the more visible your campaign.

It’s a super impressive pitch and campaign, if only they had priced their tiers better, and launched either in spring or Autumn, not during summer, and after the Steam and GoG sales. Such a shame.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

Hope they go through with it, whether they reach the goal or not.

Loved the soft-spoken voice acting, it had a real Wes Anderson vibe to it.

Re: timing of the campaign, I don’t know if Spring or Autumn makes that much of a difference these days, because there’s always something happening. (You can’t launch during E3, you can’t launch around Christmas, you can’t launch around a Steam sale, then all the other Kickstarters are crammed in the same time window between February and May). It might just be wishful thinking because I’m launching a campaign next month :-/

Totally agree with the tiers though, it would make complete sense to reward the early bird backers.

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Anyway, this new teaser is just great!

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Great teaser indeed! These guys are doing some amazing work.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

1,110 backers, 8 days to go, reaching 1/3 of the goal… Frown

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I pledged today.  It looks like a terrific project, and I’m a sucker for stop-motion animation.  I hope the campaign is successful.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Game looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, they don’t seem like they will be achieving their goal because they seem to be asking for too much especially when they don’t have the name recognition of a Tim Schafer or Ron Gilbert. I still hope though that they will be able to make this gorgeous game somehow.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

I recommend to watch Harold Halibut Q&A + Pre-Alpha Gameplay Livestream (the gameplay starts at about 33:00):

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m guessing that stop-motion game using puppets is in itself a pretty specific niche. Puppets don’t necessarily even overlap with people who like stop-motion claymation like what Wallace & Gromit.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The detail work in the game is amazing.  All the items, including tiny furniture, clothes, etc., are hand crafted.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top