• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Short game recommendations

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2013-08-08

PM

Hey guys, I’m gonna start working with a rotating shift that’ll be 16x5 (16 days working full time away, and 5 days off to rest at home).

Now, here’s the deal… considering I have a lot of “long” games to play in my playlist (thimbleweed park, broken sword 5, GK sins of the fathers 20th anniversary edition) I’m thinking I’m going to have to put these on hold for a while and focus on shorter games to play in the meantime (5 days go by really fast and I also need to make time to do and catch up with other things, visit friends & family, spend time with my girlfriend, etc.)

I was thinking of games that take between 1-5 hours in average to complete. I do enjoy “walking simulators” and those are always good short game options. I’ve played (and loved) gone home, firewatch and virginia. I would also like recommendations for more traditional point and click games that are not too long.
Thanks in advance!

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Have you played The Journey of Iesir? It’s available for free on Adventure Game Studio as it was meant to be a demo, but the game will never be finished unfortunately. It fits perfectly with your time constraints (took me a few hours to finish, in two or three shifts), and the quality is quite high. It’s a traditional point-and-click adventure with very nice 2D graphics and varied puzzles (mostly inventory-based, but also dialogue and trial-and-error minigame), written with a lighthearted tone. Even though it’s only the opening chapter of what would have been a much longer story, it is still satisfying on its own. I highly recommend it.

You could also try the two latest Sherlock Holmes games, as they come as collections of several fully independent short cases, but they’re not to everyone’s taste. They feature exploration in a 3D environment, and solving the cases relies on finding clues which you later connect in order to draw conclusions. If you wish to give them a shot, I would recommend Crime and Punishment over The Devil’s Daughter, unless you like frustrating action sequences and unwittingly scary-looking kids (ahem sorry that was just me rambling).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Machinarium, Edithfinch, Inside

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 16 July 2017 05:52 PM

are those short Nomad, come on, then what do you call SHardlight or Silence

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle, Episode 1 & 80 Days are both good choices.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Try Kelvin and the Infamous Machine and The Journey Down chapters 1 & 2

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 16 July 2017 05:56 PM
nomadsoul - 16 July 2017 05:52 PM

are those short Nomad, come on, then what do you call SHardlight or Silence

They are shorter or equal to Firewatch which he mentioned so

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

The Stanley Parable and The Beginner’s Guide.

Not your traditional point’n'click, but having in mind that you enjoy walking simulators you should definitely give those a try. They are pure genius.

I second Inside. Playable in one sitting.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2013-08-08

PM

Thanks for the input!
I think I’m going to add the stanley parable and Kelvin and the infamous machine to my playlist! I will also definitely consider the other options for the future.

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Chiming in for my favourite game I’ve played this year: What Remains of Edith Finch. The best two hours I’ve had in a long time! And it seems to fit your walking-simulator tastes, too.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

You might enjoy The Little Acre.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I thought Al Emmo was a pretty short game too. I can finish it in about 2 hours. It is a fun game too!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I would recommend Stories Untold. It’s about a 3-4 hour experience and probably near the best thing that’s come out this year. Pay no attention to the 3 star review on the main page.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There are any number of REALLY good casual games that can be completed in less than five hours.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Oscar - 18 July 2017 05:28 PM

I would recommend Stories Untold.  Pay no attention to the 3 star review on the main page.

That review score caught me by surprise. It was recommended in PC Gamer as one of the must play adventures:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-adventure-games/

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I just finished the first episode of Stories Untold and already agree it’s a must-play.

That’s a great list from a mainstream magazine too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top