• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

is it about time to kiss Daedalic adventure scene goodbye?

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Personally I hated every Daedalic game up until Silence. Their games all had terrible translation issues, some of the worst dialogue and voice overs I’ve ever heard and really annoying humour. Only thing their games had going for them was that visually they looked pretty good.

But then Silence came along which I reluctantly bought, and I was massively impressed. Huge improvement over all their previous games. It had literally no translation issues, dialogue and characters were great, none of that humour and the gameplay and puzzles were super creative. Wasn’t anything like its predecessor. So if this is the kind of quality I can expect from any future title from Daedalic, I’d be happy. They’ve improved as far as I’m concerned and I’m actually really looking forward to State of Mind and Pillars

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

The gameplay of Silence was subpar. Falls too easily into the trap of providing a too-easy gameplay to move the story forward quickly.

If they could combine the improved voice acting of Silence with the general game design of The Whispered WOrld 1 I will be happy.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Only thing I didn’t like about Silence was that it was way too short whereas all previous Daedalic games I’ve played were all really lenghthy.

And yeah Silence was easy but I didn’t really mind that. Was still a nice experience

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

To me with silence there is also the issue with the overall end plot: it is kind of a simple boring retelling of what already happened in the first game.
Its sad.. because i dont imagine it did well commercially. Its what happens when they strip away what draws veteran gamers in favor of speaking to the supposed mainstream, but the mainstream isnt listening.. and maybe what the “mainstream” really wanted was puzzles and exploration.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 14 July 2017 03:53 PM

To me with silence there is also the issue with the overall end plot: it is kind of a simple boring retelling of what already happened in the first game.
Its sad.. because i dont imagine it did well commercially. Its what happens when they strip away what draws veteran gamers in favor of speaking to the supposed mainstream, but the mainstream isnt listening.. and maybe what the “mainstream” really wanted was puzzles and exploration.

Steam numbers are terrible, sits at 22K so I don’t it had much appeal to more mainstream (unless sales on gog or consoles took off)
Deponia Doomsday for example is at 150K… Although it might have been part of a big sale/bundle? Not sure, but still it has 71k players that is respectable

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^i think that brings up another point. The mistake of simply naming it “silence.” Because a game like a deponia sequel will sell because of the name recognition. And certainly whispered world sold more than 20k (again maybe not exactly fair with time/bundles/etc).

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

I’m not surprised if this really is the end (or close too) for them making adventure games. They made many great looking games with charm, but I can’t say they’ve really stood out and left their mark in any other sense. I’ve often found their games echoed the old design principles from back when the genre was popular. The problem with that however, is that’s what I feel damaged the genre over time.

I know this won’t be liked, but I do think the genre was hurt by developers putting a lot of badly designed puzzles in their games. There’s a huge difference for the player to feel like an idiot for not seeing the solution quicker to feeling cheated by a puzzle that was never fully explained or made logical sense.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

zane - 14 July 2017 04:13 PM

^i think that brings up another point. The mistake of simply naming it “silence.” Because a game like a deponia sequel will sell because of the name recognition. And certainly whispered world sold more than 20k (again maybe not exactly fair with time/bundles/etc).

If you go to GOG and search for “Whispered World” the only result is the first game.
You have to specifically search for “Silence” to find the second game.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2015-01-11

PM

I view this whole situation from another standpoint - people want movies that they can play (a little bit), books they don’t (really) have to read and games with (little to) no challenge. It’s as if the games were some transitional form in the development of books and movies, as if they evolved only so that one could say you’ve “beaten” a book or a movie as simply reading and watching doesn’t provide the (severely casual) feeling of winning.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top