• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dara100 - 15 May 2017 02:05 PM

Tim, all the Dream Machine episodes are available on Steam now as a single download or individual chapters and the newest 6 finishes the series.The interface is very nice and lets you play any one of the six you want.  Of course it’s necessary to start with the first and progress through them unless you’ve played some of them before. I had so I just chose Chapter 6.

I was afraid that might be the case. Do you know if it’s available direct from the author. My aversion to Steam is well known.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 15 May 2017 06:20 PM

I’ll look for it on YouTube. (Is cluelass how you are listed as the author”) That puzzle/HO scene looks fantastic. I wouldn’t spend $7.00 just for that one puzzle. But I might be tempted if there is a REALLY good sale. (I’ve bought the SE earlier today.)

Tim, I can’t take credit for the YouTube walkthough. I just did a search for the game title. It’s a shame that HOP is in the bonus — it’s worthy of an AGSOTD.

As for sales, just wait until Memorial Day weekend. Big Fish has some kind of sale every weekend and usually have a BOGO or 60% off on every holiday.

Not having had your bad experiences with Steam, I might try Dara’s recommendation.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

cluelass - 15 May 2017 08:37 PM

Tim, I can’t take credit for the YouTube walkthough. I just did a search for the game title. It’s a shame that HOP is in the bonus — it’s worthy of an AGSOTD.

I think it is worthy as well. Would you like to sub for me this Friday? You’ve asked in the past about participating, and it would seem that AGSOTD is coming to a close. So if there was every an opportunity, this is it! And, if there was ever a great graphic, this is also it. If you want to do it, just let me know by Wednesday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

DL’d the demo of Fleshbound, the second game in the series. There was a “Mature Audiences” warning on the BFG page. We shall see.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the demo, and found it on par with the first game. Despite thw “warning” on the game’s BFG page, I didn’t find it any darker than the first game. Although there might be a git more graphic violence. You have 90 minutes to finish the demo, which is more than enough. I still had 36 minutes remaining.

The theme is identical to the first game. I.e., the demo consists of getting you to the point where you will chose one of three locations to continue you progress. I thoroughly enjoyed Moorgate Accord, so I’m hoping to enjoy this as much if not more.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 19 May 2017 12:22 PM

I played the demo, and found it on par with the first game. Despite thw “warning” on the game’s BFG page, I didn’t find it any darker than the first game. Although there might be a git more graphic violence. You have 90 minutes to finish the demo, which is more than enough. I still had 36 minutes remaining.

The theme is identical to the first game. I.e., the demo consists of getting you to the point where you will chose one of three locations to continue you progress. I thoroughly enjoyed Moorgate Accord, so I’m hoping to enjoy this as much if not more.

Tim, I am always baffled by your description of finishing a demo early. When I play a demo, I get sixty minutes, no more, no less. Maybe if I were faster I would get to some hypothetical stopping place before 60 minutes elapse. But I wonder if maybe it is a Mac thing. Anybody else?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Maybe it is a Mac thing. You might want to discuss that with Lady K. She’s the only other Mac player I know of. When I DL a demo I either get 60 or 90 minutes. Usually 90. I usually finish far in advance of the expiration. I don’t think I am that great a player. But I have no other explanation.

Thank you for doing the AGSOTD. I wanted to get you into doing this because we have a Theme of the Week that appears will be the “New” thing. It seems that we will only be required to participate once every three months. So it should not be a chore. Hope you will participate. Your recent post is getting rave reviews. So you should be incentivized.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I think you get 60 minutes for an SE demo and 90 minutes for a CE demo. I’ve finished the demo before time runs out only a couple of times. But I also don’t usually go through the whole 60 or 90 minutes. Usually I’ve read enough in advance to know whether I want the game or not (or it’s been recommended here), and I’m playing the demo mostly to make sure it runs without glitches on my PC.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I don’t ever remember having more than 60 minutes for either a CE or SE, but it may depend on the company who makes the game.  Maybe the longer times come from companies I haven’t tried or those who don’t make Mac versions of their games.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did say that I would get back re: Mystery Case Files - Black Veil. Forgot. Sorry Cry

I did finish the game. I think the best of the series were the two Dire Grove games, but this one is close. In fact your protagonist assistant is a character from the first Dire Grove game.

You are assigned to find out what is happening in a rural town in England that is causing all of the town’s occupants to prematurely age. Your fellow protagonist from Dire Grove has come to the town to visit her college room mate, only to discover that her roomie has aged 60 years in the ten years since they graduated.

There is an undercurrent of vampirism, everlasting life elixers and a touch of Frankenstein’s monster thrown in for good measure. One of these “undercurrents” takes a surprising turn towards the end of the game.

There are some HO scenes, but EIPIX does a very good of disguising them so that they become almost like mini-games.

I liked this game very much. If Dire Grove is a 10 on a ten-point scale, Black Veil is a solid 8.5.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Thanks for the comments on Black Veil, Tim. I’ve done the demo but for some reason it didn’t immediately grab me. I’ll probably give it a try at the next holiday BOGO. Has anybody played Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering?

I recently finished The Legacy: Forgotten Gates CE. It is vaguely reminiscent of Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen, by the same developer (Five-BN). You are pulled through a portal in a Mayan museum exhibition to what at first appears to be a Mayan civilization—but there are two suns in the sky. I would say it’s a “strong average” game in its genre—nothing really noteworthy one way or the other. Anyone who liked the Lost Lands franchise might want to give it a try.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Thanks cluelass.  I’ll give it a try.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Two questions:

I loved Four Horsemen. You say that Legacy - The Forgotten Gates is similar. Is the CE version you played worth the additional cost? (I’ve just downloaded the SE demo.)

Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering only seems to be available as a CE. Did you get any additional value from the CE? I’ve also downloaded it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 24 June 2017 03:20 PM

Two questions:

I loved Four Horsemen. You say that Legacy - The Forgotten Gates is similar. Is the CE version you played worth the additional cost? (I’ve just downloaded the SE demo.)

Saga of the Nine Worlds: The Gathering only seems to be available as a CE. Did you get any additional value from the CE? I’ve also downloaded it.

Well, I can’t say Forgotten Gates is as outstanding as Four Horsemen, it doesn’t have the same epic feeling. But it is a good alternate world to explore and the puzzles are good.

The Forgotten Gates CE bonus chapter has continued gameplay and generous extras (replay all puzzles, a couple new puzzles, collectibles, etc). Plotwise it has little to do with the main game and you play as a different character. I think it’s a matter of whether you want to pay more to play longer in the same world and at the same level of quality. (For once the gameplay in the bonus is just as good as the main game.)

So far I have only played the demo of Nine Worlds and I am trying to make up my mind about it — that’s why I asked if anyone had played it. Eipix, which also put out the Norse-saga related Hidden Expedition: Midgard’s End this year, is no longer a guarantee of top quality, although they are still generally worthwhile.

My unbought demos are piling up. Maybe I’ve just been cranky lately but nothing has immediately drawn me in.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finally got around to finishing the Nine Worlds demo. Like you, I ame somewhat ambivalent about it. It’s another portal game like 1000 Doors, and I’ve done that too many times before. It’s just not enough to get my juices flowing to play another. At the same time it looks like it might be a very long game. Which is a double edged sword. On one hand, you get a lot of bang for your buck. On the other hand, I can see myself getting bored around the sixth portal, and either force myself to slog through to the end, or give it up entirely. Not a good set of choices for a game that seems only to be available as a CE.

I think I’m going to pass on it for the time being. My think about it later when I have less on my plate and there is a REALLY good sale.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top