• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 21 June 2017 01:49 PM

The devs must be big fans of LSL because this game in many ways feels like a spiritual successor of sorts to that series.

It’s very hard to tell. According to Himalaya, they were unaware of FPFP when they designed this game. While I believe them, I also find it hard to believe. The lead designer did consult with Josh and review FPFP artwork.

The narrator is another thing entirely.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 21 June 2017 07:34 PM

Start with Act 5: Free Billy now!!! We’ll play it until Sunday, June 25th - from now on, we’re getting on a quicker tempo! Also, as we’re right in the middle of the game, I’ll post a mini-quiz to see how much you payed attention in the first 4 acts!

Is it just me or are these act titles giving off spoiler-ish vibes?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 21 June 2017 09:47 PM

It’s very hard to tell. According to Himalaya, they were unaware of FPFP when they designed this game. While I believe them, I also find it hard to believe. The lead designer did consult with Josh and review FPFP artwork.

Somehow I don’t believe that. While Freedy Pharkas wasn’t the biggest Sierra hit, it did come out in 1993, Al Emmo originally in 2006. The people at Himalaya are such Sierra fans, that I doubt they would have missed the adventures of Frontier Pharmacist.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished ACT 5. This was even shorter than the last one. There is barely enough going on to call it an ACT.

Anyway a few fun interactions that you might have missed:
Keep looking at the fountain in front of the hospitality house (around 5 times).

Keep looking at the graphic novel in Lou’s office.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Because of other things I didn’t get to start Act 5 until this morning. Was worried I might miss the deadline. Didn’t need to. About 40 minutes later, maybe less, I was done. VERY short act.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ready to start Act 6 when we get the go ahead.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 22 June 2017 11:40 AM

Is it just me or are these act titles giving off spoiler-ish vibes?

Well, it did give me a hint!  Laughing
I would never have otherwise thought to go & talk to Billy in the bar! & have my attention drawn to the gallows!
I found a lot of the dialogue in the Sheriff’s Office to be especially amusing at the time!

SoccerDude28 - 24 June 2017 02:08 AM

Finished ACT 5. This was even shorter than the last one. There is barely enough going on to call it an ACT.

Anyway a few fun interactions that you might have missed:
Keep looking at the fountain in front of the hospitality house (around 5 times).

Keep looking at the graphic novel in Lou’s office.

Thanks SoccerDude!.......mmm…....
Just to confirm, I’ve finished Act 5! & looking forward to Al getting pally with the Indians! 

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Is anyone still playing act 5? Can we start on ACT 6?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to start Act 6 tomorrow, (Tuesday, my time,) and suggest we finish by Saturday. I’m not going to post screen shots or anything like that. That’s Diego’s turf. But I know he has some computer and scheduling difficulties, so I thought I would give Act 6 a jump start.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I’ve just finished Act 5. Will wait for The Sheriff to give word of when to start Act 6.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sorry guys, private life got in the way. I’m surprised and thankful for your patience and having me still as a game leader! I’m catching up with the duty today, and expect the quiz very soon. You have a greenlight to start the:

ACT 6: Indian, a Stone, and the Last Town Raid

I’ll set the deadline on the fly, I think this chapter is longer than previous two ones, but I need to remind myself.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The biggest, and most time-consuming, problem with this act is finding the various locations, since none of them are currently on our map.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, let’s take a little break and test our Anozira knowledge and power of deduction! Grin Sarcastic  Don’t sweat, it’s for fun only!

(check for answers below)

1. Mayor Herbie Trinkwasser’s house is

green
red
yellow

2. In one corner of a Koko’s store there’s a:

diving suit
biohazard suit
astronaut suit

3. On Bubba’s Barnyard sign, one of the letter is “mirrored”.

letter “B”
letter “N”
letter “D”

4. Only one of these names is an actual name seen at the cemetery tombstone:

Marley O’Bearder
Sierra
Ned Goldjumper

5. There’s a clock above the Anozira train station. Does it changes time?

Yes, it shows the actual time
Only when the Act changes
Never

This is the painting that can be found at:

Mayor’s house
Lou’s office
Hospitality House Room 3

7. http://picosong.com/WCGG/

This melody is heard at the scene:

While riding a donkey
With a prairie dog
With two indians on the cliff

8. “I have everything I need right here.” is a quote said by:

Lou Heifer
Rick Springer VIII
Koko

9. http://picosong.com/WCpG/

This is the voice of:

Bubba
The station master
Sheriff

10. Kevin wears a badge that says:

Kevin’s
Himalaya’s
Anozira

11. A tricky one: After you catch the fish at the Oasis, Al Emmo puts it under his trousers and his underwear are seen as:

pink
red and white
he’s not wearing any underwear

Answers:
1. green          
2. biohazard suit
3. letter “D”   
4. Sierra    
5. Yes, it shows the actual time
6. Mayor’s house
7. With a prairie dog
8. Rick Springer VIII
9. Sheriff
10. Kevin’s
11. red and white

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 06 June 2017 05:00 PM

I am just surprised at the overwhelming number of objects you can interact with. Even 2 bushes in two different screens will get different comments from the narrator.

Not to mention the cacti!! One of my favorite quotes comes from the narrator after inspecting (or “touching”) on of the cacti in the desert:

“You swear you’ll take an axe to these when the game’s over. There’s only so many cacti one man can take.”

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

mbday630 - 09 June 2017 08:27 PM

I have played this game many times and never figured out where the chili sauce went to so please, if someone figures it out, let me know!

Like SoccerDude said, it disappears at the beginning of Act 3. It’s an interesting design choice (perhaps it was unintentional, and they had a use for the chili down the road, but never included that puzzle) that not every object in your inventory is necessarily “usable” in the traditional sense. I haven’t seen many games do this. (Monkey Island 1/2 had a few items like this, and it’s also often seen in games where you have money/shop and an option to buy several items where only one of them is the right one). Or it could be that the chilli is just a “red herring” to go along with the mustard. Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top