• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The iOS section is filled with misinformation

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

In my search for adventure games made for iOS, I keep getting really disappointed when game after game on this site is listed as “iPhone/iPad” but is nowhere on the iOS app store and doesn’t appear to have ever been an iOS game. Some of these games are listed in the “Top iOS Games” list, which adds salt to the wound. Is there some reason why there are so many falsely listed iOS games? Any way that can be cleaned up, at least going forward? This could be such a useful site in finding those, as iOS adventure games are poorly documented elsewhere.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Could you give some examples?

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

fov - 17 June 2017 01:38 AM

Could you give some examples?

Sure, the very first game on the “Highest Rated” list is Thimbleweed Park. It’s nowhere on the iOS app store. Same with The Last Time, Full Throttle Remastered, AR-K: Episode 3 - The Great Escape. That’s just me going down the list, I’ll stop there. I remember encountering at least several others too.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I see what the problem is. Apple has two App Stores, one for iOS (iPad and iPhone) and one for MacOS/OSX (iMac and the like). They are both called ‘App Store,’ which is causing the confusion. So we will have to double-check which store is meant for each game that claims to be available on ‘the App Store.’

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Some of these games might just not have been released on iOS yet. That definitely applies to Thimbleweed Park, maybe others as well. (Probably FT, since DOTT Remastered came out on iOS a few months after other platforms; not sure about the rest.)

(btw, DOTT Remastered is not listed as an iOS game; it should.)

(Also, gaming on iOS is generally an awful idea. Apple couldn’t care less about ensuring that games remain playable/available when they update their OS.)

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Good feedback indeed, there’s a difference between the “Mac App Store” and the “App Store” which is iPhone/iPad. I’ll check to see if this is an easy distinction I can make or not..

Generally if we have “Mac” there we mean the Mac App Store, while iPhone/iPad should really indicate it’s available on the App Store. The challenge here is that when you can’t find it it’s either:

A) Not available in the App store of your country
B) Not available anymore (sadly true with a lot of the classics like Monkey Island SE)
C) Not available yet (like Thimbleweed Park)

Will think about a different way of logging this..

Until then, some good resources:
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/list/eye_on_ios
https://adventuregamers.com/topgames/view/iphone_and_ipad

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

CaliMonk - 17 June 2017 08:57 AM

Good feedback indeed, there’s a difference between the “Mac App Store” and the “App Store” which is iPhone/iPad. I’ll check to see if this is an easy distinction I can make or not..

Generally if we have “Mac” there we mean the Mac App Store, while iPhone/iPad should really indicate it’s available on the App Store.

Why should the site even know/care about the Mac App Store? It’s just a store. I think “Mac” should mean “The game runs on macOS”; whether it’s available from the Mac App Store, or Steam, or Humble or whatever shouldn’t matter, should it?

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 June 2017 09:35 AM
CaliMonk - 17 June 2017 08:57 AM

Generally if we have “Mac” there we mean the Mac App Store, while iPhone/iPad should really indicate it’s available on the App Store.

Why should the site even know/care about the Mac App Store? It’s just a store. I think “Mac” should mean “The game runs on macOS”; whether it’s available from the Mac App Store, or Steam, or Humble or whatever shouldn’t matter, should it?

Fair point, you are actually correct. Right now it’s indeed used to indicate that it runs on Mac OS, unrelated to which platform. I made an incorrect assumption there, there should actually be no games marked as iPhone/iPad that aren’t actually available on those platforms. In general, we should probably not use those terms anymore (iPhone/iPad) but switch to using ‘iOS’ and ‘Android’ as we do in the header.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

CaliMonk - 17 June 2017 10:19 AM

there should actually be no games marked as iPhone/iPad that aren’t actually available on those platforms.

Hang on, you’re adding to the confusion again with this. There WILL be games marked for iOS that aren’t yet available, because we list it as a platform whenever it’s formally announced by a developer prior to release. Unless we add a brand new released/announced distinction to each platform, that will always be the case.

One of the problems, unfortunately, is that developers are often far more ambitious than their capabilities. So they may announce mobile ports and then never do them. I try to weed out any outdated platform listings when it’s clear the ports are never going to happen. Then again, I can’t be too aggressive about it, because sometimes the ports happen literally years later.

As for the Mac thing, yeah, just a total misunderstanding there. The Mac listing has nothing to do with the Mac App Store and never has.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 June 2017 03:35 AM

(Also, gaming on iOS is generally an awful idea. Apple couldn’t care less about ensuring that games remain playable/available when they update their OS.)

I like to play AGs with my girlfriend in bed, and it’s really clunky to bring a laptop to bed, so we end up mostly playing whatever is available on iPhone. I don’t have as much time as I used to to privately play AGs on my PC anymore, and I like sharing the experience. The new iPad Pro with 120hz screen is absolutely beautiful and together with iOS 11, the reviews are saying it’s a real breakout hit. I’m thinking of getting it. I hope more AGs come out for it now that it’s more of a real computer. It’s probably the ultimate screen and format for an adventure game imo, when developers take advantage.

This is all very much a digression though. I enjoy iOS gaming when it’s done well, and this site is a great help when it’s accurate. The app store is garbage when it comes to finding the AGs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top