• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme Of The Week #5- Blade Runner

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Every modern futuristic story or adventure does have some sorta inspiration from the BladeRunner legacy; adventure, movie, or story.

i tracked a little of them down here and may anyone step in and help if having something can bee added to this theme of adventures inspired from Bladerunner™.

The shooting range or shooting some bad guys is a genuine inspiration at Gemini Rue, plus the eventual story twist too.

Spinners is also a genuine inspiration here, plus 100s of other games and movies.

What a dull future would it be without some Skyscrapers and Neon lights?

Or Tyrell Cooperation Tongue

And lets not forget this handsome trench coat. Smile

......... .

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Interesting. I still haven’t played this one, and I probably never will.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

br305893 - 11 June 2017 09:49 PM

I probably never will.

Meh

thats strong statement Br30, you must be interested at least to the see the inspiration for (plus mentioned)  Technobabylon, Culpa Innata, DreamWeb, Beneath a Steel Sky, Nightlong even Deponia….  its a long list, and much much longer at movies.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Advie - 11 June 2017 10:30 PM
br305893 - 11 June 2017 09:49 PM

I probably never will.

Meh

thats strong statement Br30, you must be interested at least to the see the inspiration for (plus mentioned)  Technobabylon, Culpa Innata, DreamWeb, Beneath a Steel Sky, Nightlong even Deponia….  its a long list, and much much longer at movies.

I probably should have been more specific. I would love to be able to play it, but unless it gets added to Steam or GoG (looking unlikely) I probably won’t go through the trouble of trying to run it on my computer.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Just announced at E3, a very Bladerunner influenced cyberpunk yada yada yada.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

IMO, if there’s one game worth tracking down and getting to run on your own, it’s bladerunner. It is an amazing game that needs to be played.

Good Theme of the Week Advie…

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner… Hong Kong being the grimier version and the closest equivalent to Dreamfall’s Europolis. In the 80s and 90s, this was even more true with the dystopian Kowloon Walled City and before the clean up of the Chungking Mansions (seen in Chungking Express, a great movie by the way)...

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

br305893 - 11 June 2017 11:02 PM

I probably should have been more specific. I would love to be able to play it, but unless it gets added to Steam or GoG (looking unlikely) I probably won’t go through the trouble of trying to run it on my computer.

You can easily find a copy of Blade Runner on sites such as ebay etc (just checked, it’s in stock), and it still works on today’s systems without any problems. It’s one of the best adventure/mystery games ever made.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite games, in any genre. What makes it even more deserving is the multiple paths structure it has, where certain aspects are randomised every time you start a new game. It really is a must have game, but sadly there’s no easy way of getting it as a digital download at the moment, so Ebay or some other second-hand store is your only bet.

If you do get it though, it’s worth the trouble. Only issues in modern OS’s it has is, that the installer might not work correctly on 64-bit machines, but there’s a replacement for that here.

And here’s my longer take on it I wrote to my blog: http://playernone.blogspot.com/2015/11/great-games-blade-runner.html

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Forgot about the shooting range. Last time I played the game it installed and worked perfectly, except for the shooting range where the targets didn’t show up so all I could do was just to make my way to the exit.
Gonna have to download that patch or the German one mentioned in that link to see if it fixes the problem.

One of the things I love most about the game is that unlike other modern games (looking at you Telltale), the choices you make throughout the game really do matter. Played the game so many times over the years and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen every ending. I would say my favourite is probably the one with Crystal where she’s still alive.
Love everything else too. Story, atmosphere, the fact that they used some of the actors from the movie and of course the music (even though it wasn’t Vangelis, they did an amazing job to recreate it)

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, the multiple endings and choices were very innovative at the time and is much better done than Telltale games or Dreamfall Chapters. The choices actually matters.

The only game I can think of that comes close to the non linearity of Blade Runner is another game published in the same year The Last Express.

This just makes me want to play that game again Smile

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It’s an interesting theme Advie but as I don’t tend to read sci-fi & have played so few futuristic games it’s difficult to know what I have played that is directly inspired by Blade Runner & not ideas featured in earlier works although I have watched the film more than once.

tomimt - 12 June 2017 03:53 AM

.....If you do get it though, it’s worth the trouble. Only issues in modern OS’s it has is, that the installer might not work correctly on 64-bit machines, but there’s a replacement for that here.

I do have the game which I was not able to install on my 64 bit machine so thank you for that useful link tomimt!
In games that I have played i.e. Culpa Innata, Dreamfall, a couple of Tex Murphy’s & part of Gemini Rue (unfortunately I couldn’t get past the shooting gallery sequence) I can see why they’re considered to be influenced by Blade Runner.
A couple of other games that could arguably be included due to their post-apocalyptic world are A New Beginning & Shardlight. Also on the subject of the title of Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep I would add Dead Mountaineers Hotel which is based on a book published only 2 years later. It’s not apparently set in a futuristic world but seems appropriate to mention! (If you haven’t played it & have no intention of doing so YT the ending if you want to know why!) Smile

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

A little bit off topic here because it’s not an adventure game, but the one game I’ve played that looked and sounded almost exactly like Blade Runner for the most part was Deus Ex Human Revolution. Same atmosphere, always dark, moody and wet, set in the near future and pretty much exactly the same music style.
Even Jensen’s apartment reminded me so much of both Deckard and McCoy’s apartments. There are even some references to Blade Runner in the police station.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Best blade runner style game - Rise of the Dragon Heart

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 12 June 2017 11:02 AM

Best blade runner style game - Rise of the Dragon Heart

Speaking of Rise of the Dragon:

I’d really love to see that one completed.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 13 June 2017 04:28 AM
giom - 11 June 2017 11:53 PM

I couldn’t get the hang of the VK test sequences though, they seemed too random.

I once had finished it with getting a chance to encounter the Voight-Kampff at all!, it does not even affect the game by any chance too, more like an extra appearance it is.

giom - 11 June 2017 11:53 PM

For skycrapers, neon light and multiple pathways everywhere, I’d argue Hong Kong and Tokyo is a bigger influence than Blade Runner…

so if those Tokyo&HangKong;‘s were the inspiration for Dreamfall
maybe they were also an inspiration for R.Scott original 1982 picture??
humor me giom, i know i might have asked a wrong question? Laughing

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I was watching the intro to Tesla Effect a day or two ago, and the flyover of the cityscape and flying cars reminded me strongly of the Blade Runner movie and several of the game screenshots.  I haven’t played the game.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top