• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I am probably not the right person to judge scaryness as I don’t find much to be scared about in adventure games but if you must ask, in this case…so far I see nothing to be scared about.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Ok thanks I read a review where the reviewer said she was so scared she had to take her headphones off and turn off the sound, and couldn’t continue at one point…

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Replaying So Blonde for the first time since it was released 9 years ago. I remember very little, especially puzzle-wise, so it’s almost like a new game.

And… it’s fucking awful! I’ve just finished the first chapter, and I’m not sure I want to go any further. Dumb story, annoying characters, unnecessarily-busy screens that constantly feel like pixel hunting even with the hotspot revealer…

The puzzle design is really bad, full of stuff like characters moving around for no clear reason and with no warning—so whenever you’re stuck, you have to revisit every screen in case something’s arbitrarily changed! This is made particularly unbearable by the loading times every time you enter a new screen (even on a computer far more powerful than what the game was originally supposed to be played on).

I think the worst part might be the soundtrack: in the entirety of the first chapter, there have just been two shitty tracks on an endless loop. It’s starting to drive me crazy.

I vaguely remember the game getting better as it goes on (at least the story; I’m pretty sure the puzzles just got more tedious as the world expanded), which is the only reason why I haven’t completely decided to give up, but frankly I’m very close to—life’s too short for shitty games.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 June 2017 05:51 AM

Replaying So Blonde for the first time since it was released 9 years ago. I remember very little, especially puzzle-wise, so it’s almost like a new game.

And… it’s fucking awful! I’ve just finished the first chapter, and I’m not sure I want to go any further. Dumb story, annoying characters, unnecessarily-busy screens that constantly feel like pixel hunting even with the hotspot revealer…

The puzzle design is really bad, full of stuff like characters moving around for no clear reason and with no warning—so whenever you’re stuck, you have to revisit every screen in case something’s arbitrarily changed! This is made particularly unbearable by the loading times every time you enter a new screen (even on a computer far more powerful than what the game was originally supposed to be played on).

I think the worst part might be the soundtrack: in the entirety of the first chapter, there have just been two shitty tracks on an endless loop. It’s starting to drive me crazy.

I vaguely remember the game getting better as it goes on (at least the story; I’m pretty sure the puzzles just got more tedious as the world expanded), which is the only reason why I haven’t completely decided to give up, but frankly I’m very close to—life’s too short for shitty games.

i 2nd all what you Have mentioned BIG TIME

but two tracks? that’s an improvement Tongue since i last replayed .. i remember the game had ONE soundtrack only all along.

i guess if it wasn’t for that loading screen time, this game would have been (passable) good, but with the backtracking concept of gameplaying and puzzle-solving makes it like walking HELL each time entering a screen (new or old).

plus also and as you said it includes kinda pixel hunting obligation somehow:
1st bc of the lousy hotspot revealed that changes the place/spot for each item due to the absurd 3d movements (if i remember correctly)
2ndbc of/at this  screen (or such) where the hotspot revealer is literally-totally-useless .

anyways if you finish it kuru, then i would/should give you 10 outta 10 on the roughest patience scale around. Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 17 June 2017 06:17 AM

but two tracks? that’s an improvement Tongue since i last replayed .. i remember the game had ONE soundtrack only all along.

I thought it was one, but then at one point it sounded like there was a second one. But it sounded a lot like the first one, so maybe I just got confused and thought it was different. I don’t know. I’m trying to block the soundtrack because I’m so fed up with it.

plus also and as you said it includes kinda pixel hunting obligation somehow:
1st bc of the lousy hotspot revealed that changes the place/spot for each item due to the absurd 3d movements (if i remember correctly)
2ndbc of/at this  screen (or such) where the hotspot revealer is literally-totally-useless .

Yeah, the hotspot revealer is awful—and yet absolutely necessary, because the hotspots are so small and the game draws no attention to them whatsoever. Ugh.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m playing Night of the Rabbit - actually I started playing it a couple of months ago & left it until recently. There’s nothing wrong with the game as it looks gorgeous, the voice acting is good & the puzzling is not un-engaging but I’m about half-way through & the story unfortunately for me is not that compelling. I will continue until the end eventually - maybe it’ll grab me more later but so far I really haven’t found the game interesting enough to get hooked on it!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 10 July 2017 02:53 PM

I’m playing Night of the Rabbit - actually I started playing it a couple of months ago & left it until recently. There’s nothing wrong with the game as it looks gorgeous, the voice acting is good & the puzzling is not un-engaging but I’m about half-way through & the story unfortunately for me is not that compelling. I will continue until the end eventually - maybe it’ll grab me more later but so far I really haven’t found the game interesting enough to get hooked on it!

wait, once he returns to his mother and his real world this game is gonna turn up side down and many things you ve been seeing from the beginning as useless and for granted will really put shock on you. Cool

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Advie!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m replaying the demos of three of the recent Carol Reed games.  Had gone to the MDNA site to check out the newest game, “Profound Red” which didn’t yet have a demo, darn, and realized that Amber’s Blood, Bosch’s Damnation and Shades of Black do.  Three that I never had time to play before.  (Being on a month’s vacation is wonderful!  Weeks I never took because I was too busy).

Nice to rekindle my love of this relaxing, interesting series by ordering all four.  That should hold me for a while.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

im actually replaying broken sword 2 right now after just beating broken sword 1. I just got to central america. I really like this game a lot and sometimes think it gets criticized too much, but what I will say is that the opening is a pretty big letdown considering how epic broken sword 1 was with its opening. Also I think the first act moves entirely too fast. George is trapped in a burning house and nico is kidnapped. In very short order george escapes house and heads to paris with only three small scenes and rescues Nico very quickly. I thought the setup and mystery should have been a bit slower; that is one thing I loved about the original, the story at the start unfolds very slowly and very intriguingly. I remember as a teenager when you sneak into Khan’s hotel room and he is coming up the stairs I was like oh crap hide lol. That is suspense. Broken Sword 2 never had that suspense, what I did like though was the humor in 2, thought for the most part it worked far better than one. Plus I loved the jungle settings. One more negative, I also think the actress who plays nico in 2 does a pretty bad job; My fav Nico’s in order probably go bs3, bs1, bs5, bs4, bs2

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 10 July 2017 03:52 PM
chrissie - 10 July 2017 02:53 PM

wait, once he returns to his mother and his real world this game is gonna turn up side down and many things you ve been seeing from the beginning as useless and for granted will really put shock on you. Cool

I’ve kept going & I’m sorry - as engaging as the game-play is the story is now boring the pants off me more than ever! What happens in the end won’t really matter now however ‘exciting’ because I’m comatose!    Laughing
EDIT: No, I’m not comatose but have to say that if the ending is worth it then the game-play has to be compelling enough to lead you there from the beginning & it just isn’t!  Thumbs Up It’s a sweet game, I love the characters but I’ve had enough now!

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I can sympathize chrissie but didn’t you know what to expect from Daedelic whose stories are generally snooze-inducing? A New Beginning and the Deponia series are much worse. And Night of the Rabbit is at least reasonably fast paced. I can’t remember the story much but recall it being along the lines of a boy’s fantasy, which might be why it doesn’t appeal. For me it was the characters, music and environments which kept me going.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sorry to hear that Chrissie, but the night of the rabbit for me come right after Edna and Harvey when it comes to the best of Daedalics, but taste differs, of course, some one would shout what about The TWW, well its comes third, TNotR is one the best adventure i had ever played in the last 10 years, but again taste is something no one can argue about.

i think i am gonna start repaying TNotR now for the 4th time, this conversation hyped to Tongue

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve just started playing Cognition. It’s much darker than I expected - I thought it would be somewhat along the lines of Gabriel Knight, starting off atmospheric and gradually building up to downright grisly, but it begins full throttle here, with gruesome situations and serious tension right off the bat. I don’t like being stressed this much at the beggining of a game (if I can, I’d rather avoid being stressed at all Grin), the timed sequences at the end of the prologue really got on my nerves. This kind of elements can add to a game value, I won’t deny that, but first of all, in my opinion they work best once the player is already enthralled in the story (although I understand what the team was aiming at with placing them this early in the game), and secondly, while I appreciated the presence of an automatic checkpoint just before the events, I wish I didn’t have to start the sequence over completely, everytime. I had the same feeling in the bar scene in Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter - the trial-and-error approach is not a bad idea, but please, could they at least spare us the cutscenes leading to the action? They drag more and more everytime! Well, despite these mixed impressions, I’m rather liking it so far. I just hope the whole series doesn’t rely on this type of interaction too ofter, otherwise I probably won’t go further than episode 1.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I liked Cognition and am very much like you in my dislike of timed sequences of any kind.

To the best of my memory, they are very rare.

Enjoy!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top