• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

IGN - 29, Essential Must Play Adventure Games

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I think wilco meant the categories/sub-categories within the article.

I thought the same as him when I read it.

I like the article but it probably could have done with a couple more hours on the structure at least.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 23 May 2017 12:23 PM
wilco - 23 May 2017 11:19 AM

It’s a nice selection but although they are explained, the categories seem arbitrary.
Gone Home and Myst in the same? And Night in the Woods? That game is totally story-driven.

Well, the name of the list is “adventure games” not “point’n'click games”. All of those titles do fall under the modern concept of what the term adventure includes.

What dumbeur said, I wasn’t very clear, meant the sub-categories.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

With that, I do agree. It does seem a bit odd to have “puzzle and exploration” in the same category when one isn’t really needed for the other.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I agree too, puzzle and exploration should definitely have been split into two different categories…

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Phlebas - 23 May 2017 07:10 AM

I will just say that, purely chronologically, Resonance, Night of the Rabbit, and BoUT are too new to count as classics.

Maybe. But also they might just not be the best introduction to the genre - for instance I haven’t played BoUT but I get the impression it has lots of in-jokes that wouldn’t mean so much to a newcomer.

True, but those games are under the “if you want to dig even deeper” category so it sort of takes that into account.

I think it’s a great list.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my opinion is that list is pathetic as the talk about it, anyone can make a list of essentials, and however, it is only gonna be objective (as your ‘best of’ lists).

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t see a list of “must play” games being that much different than a list of “best of” games. It may be hyperbole, but when the last AG Top 100 came out, “No way this game should have been rated 79th best. It certainly should have been in the top 30.” was a common style of comment. Nobody agrees. I won’t go as far as to say it’s senseless to post this type of thread, because I’ve posted a few of my own over the years.

But it is senseless if the implied objective is to reach some sort of consensus. E.g., “That list was spot on.” And everyone agrees with that statement.

A month or so ago someone suggested I post a list of the top 10 Casual Games. Immediately there was disagreement. Not only to the point of whether the list I posted represented the Top 10, but whether some of the games I mentioned, e.g., Emerald City Confidential, qualified as a Casual Game.

There is no consensus to be had in these discussions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 23 May 2017 08:33 PM

A month or so ago someone suggested I post a list of the top 10 Casual Games. Immediately there was disagreement. Not only to the point of whether the list I posted represented the Top 10, but whether some of the games I mentioned, e.g., Emerald City Confidential, qualified as a Casual Game.

There is no consensus to be had in these discussions.

What? Maybe you should read the thread again. Everyone liked your list.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top