• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker—a game similar to the FMV game Contradiction

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The infectious madness of doctor dekker is being released today, and seems a lot like the game Her Story, and Contradiction(I believe one of the actors in this game is from contradiction) here is the synopsis

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker is a Lovecraftian FMV murder mystery, which gives players full freedom to question suspects by typing their own questions instead of picking them from a predetermined list. There are no point and click puzzles to solve, just questions to ask and evidence to inspect.

Finding out who killed Dr Dekker is only one part of the puzzle; working out how to fix the chaos he left behind will be so much trickier… As well as providing clues to the murder, each patient has their own bizarre problem they need your help with – from time manipulation and re-animated loved ones to horrors under the sea.

Complete with an atmospheric soundtrack, The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker invites you to explore the shadow reality that your patients inhabit – a world full of paranormal strangeness and horrors that go bump in your head, where all you have to rely on is your own mind.

Just try not to lose it…

http://store.steampowered.com/app/545540/The_Infectious_Madness_of_Doctor_Dekker/

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This looks good. Right up my alley, considering my love for Contradiction.

Edit: I bought it and it doesn’t seem to work.  Meh

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Would love to hear some opinions, if anyone tried it. I have been really curious about The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker for some time. I thought Her Story was a superb idea, but, paradoxically, too linear in execution. Maybe I just got too lucky in my searches, but the story revealed its main twist to me very early on, and the rest of the time I was just joining the dots and looking for extra layers of surprises that never materialised. I was waiting for another go at this kind of gameplay, and Dr Dekker seems like it might be it. And lovecraftian motives are always a plus, too. On the other hand, it does seem rather corny, and if the parser’s not up to task, the experience may easily fall apart.

By the way, clicking on the title, I was rather expecting a thread asking for recommendations. Could a mod please change the title to make it clear that it’s about a specific game? EDIT: Thanks!

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Did people who played Her Story play it until they’d uncovered every last video or just until they’d discovered the plot?

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

I can speak only for myself, but I went the “complete” route. In retrospect, I would’ve probably liked it a bit more had I given up sooner, but there was no guarantee I did discover the whole plot until I unlocked all (or at least most) videos, so…

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I uncovered the whole plot and then kept going until I got bored/ran out of inspiration.  I didn’t uninstall it though, so I’m tempted to go back for the last 20(?)%.

I quite enjoyed the experience btw, but I think I probably uncovered the plot more progressively or was a little slow on the uptake. Tongue

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

dumbeur - 22 May 2017 04:09 PM

Did people who played Her Story play it until they’d uncovered every last video or just until they’d discovered the plot?

I just played until I uncovered the plot.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

AFGNCAAP - 22 May 2017 03:50 PM

Would love to hear some opinions, if anyone tried it. I have been really curious about The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker for some time. I thought Her Story was a superb idea, but, paradoxically, too linear in execution. Maybe I just got too lucky in my searches, but the story revealed its main twist to me very early on, and the rest of the time I was just joining the dots and looking for extra layers of surprises that never materialised. I was waiting for another go at this kind of gameplay, and Dr Dekker seems like it might be it. And lovecraftian motives are always a plus, too. On the other hand, it does seem rather corny, and if the parser’s not up to task, the experience may easily fall apart.

By the way, clicking on the title, I was rather expecting a thread asking for recommendations. Could a mod please change the title to make it clear that it’s about a specific game? EDIT: Thanks!

I can finally give some input here.

I have only finished Act 1 (which the game tells me is 20% of the whole thing) but am finding the game very impressive indeed.

Compared with Her Story, the experience could be said to be a more game-like and more fleshed out. You ask patients questions directly, and it is challenging finding the right words and the right questions. It helps that the game tells you which answers need to be followed up and which don’t. You can get hints but I haven’t needed any so far.

I like this approach. You really do get the feeling of being in the position of interviewing these people. If you’re a story type of person, there are surprises and plot twists here. The linear structure means that these aren’t revealed too early. It feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface of the mystery. And what’s more, you as the protagonist seem to play a larger the role in the game than at first seems apparent. I’m eagerly anticipating what’s to come.

The parser can be frustrating at times because you are expected to phrase questions rather than just type keywords, so if you hate parsers or have trouble with English, I would stay away.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Oscar - 10 June 2017 10:36 PM
AFGNCAAP - 22 May 2017 03:50 PM

I can finally give some input here.

I have only finished Act 1 (which the game tells me is 20% of the whole thing) but am finding the game very impressive indeed.

Compared with Her Story, the experience could be said to be a more game-like and more fleshed out. You ask patients questions directly, and it is challenging finding the right words and the right questions. It helps that the game tells you which answers need to be followed up and which don’t. You can get hints but I haven’t needed any so far.

I like this approach. You really do get the feeling of being in the position of interviewing these people. If you’re a story type of person, there are surprises and plot twists here. The linear structure means that these aren’t revealed too early. It feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface of the mystery. And what’s more, you as the protagonist seem to play a larger the role in the game than at first seems apparent. I’m eagerly anticipating what’s to come.

The parser can be frustrating at times because you are expected to phrase questions rather than just type keywords, so if you hate parsers or have trouble with English, I would stay away.

I also have finished the first act and I have a love hate relationship with it, when the game works it is good, when it doesnt it is frustrating. for example twice I knew the answer but I just didnt phrase the question just right. Also the background music is really repetitive and too loud. you can turn it down though. Overall I dont
know how I really feel yet, but it is an interesting concept for a game.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 June 2017 08:14 AM

I also have finished the first act and I have a love hate relationship with it, when the game works it is good, when it doesnt it is frustrating. for example twice I knew the answer but I just didnt phrase the question just right. Also the background music is really repetitive and too loud. you can turn it down though. Overall I dont

I am having the same problem in Act 2 and have used my first hint. Unfortunately I think the hint system is a necessary part of a game like this. But it is much better than something like a dialogue tree, which would pose no challenge at all.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Oscar - 11 June 2017 08:48 AM
Jdawg445 - 11 June 2017 08:14 AM

I am having the same problem in Act 2 and have used my first hint. Unfortunately I think the hint system is a necessary part of a game like this. But it is much better than something like a dialogue tree, which would pose no challenge at all.

agree what it needs is some kind of hybrid system between the two. Also I already get the vibe that the supernatural element will be far more interesting than who killed dr dekker

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

the more im playing this game the more I wish I was play a contradiction sequel. I think I gave contradiction like an 8 outta 10 bc of the rushed ending, but that game really is so much fun, the more I think about it. Especially when you first meet Paul Rand; Paul Darrow delivers every line with such conviction and menace. I see why ryan rand never puts his glass down and is an alcoholic; I would be to if that was my father. The best line of the whole game is where the door creaks open and Paul says sorry my house must be haunted.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, I’ve finished it. I still think it’s a bold and experimental idea for a game, but find it difficult to recommend. By the later part of the game the plot is just too convoluted and I found it hard to keep track. People who love little details and have a good memory might just appreciate this aspect, but I didn’t. And with the imperfect parser, you don’t know whether you’re on the wrong track with a line of questioning, or have phrased a question wrong - when I needed a hint, the latter was usually the reason.

I appreciate the effort that went into the game. There are many positive aspects - acting is good, and so is the plot. Characters remember what you choose to tell them, which is a nice touch. It’s just not quite another Contradiction.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Oscar - 15 June 2017 05:31 AM

Well, I’ve finished it. I still think it’s a bold and experimental idea for a game, but find it difficult to recommend. By the later part of the game the plot is just too convoluted and I found it hard to keep track. People who love little details and have a good memory might just appreciate this aspect, but I didn’t. And with the imperfect parser, you don’t know whether you’re on the wrong track with a line of questioning, or have phrased a question wrong - when I needed a hint, the latter was usually the reason.

I appreciate the effort that went into the game. There are many positive aspects - acting is good, and so is the plot. Characters remember what you choose to tell them, which is a nice touch. It’s just not quite another Contradiction.

I agree with everything you said, also I feel like I unlocked a lot of clues out of order. To be honest I beat the next round of questions, than quit bc I was just too bored to continue, even the plot was falling apart very quickly. Overall neat concept but poorly executed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top